+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpolling at St Pierre and Miquelon?

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
Hi guys,
can I flagpole at St Pierre and Miquelon border crossing?
Does anyone know how difficult or easy it is?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,
can I flagpole at St Pierre and Miquelon border crossing?
Does anyone know how difficult or easy it is?
I don't believe this is possible without actually taking the ferry to St Pierre and Miquelon and then returning. I think the ferry costs around $75 one way? (I looked into traveling there a few years ago.) To the best of my knowledge the border control is when you exit the ferry so there's no way to flagpole without actually doing the ferry sailing there and back. You will also need a visa.

Reactions: Noah Vossen

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
I don't believe this is possible without actually taking the ferry to St Pierre and Miquelon and then returning. I think the ferry costs around $75 one way? (I looked into traveling there a few years ago.) To the best of my knowledge the border control is when you exit the ferry so there's no way to flagpole without actually doing the ferry sailing there and back. You will also need a visa.
Ok, so if I take the ferry and come back I can activate my new work permit at the border crossing there?
How easy or difficult is it?
Does anyone know if they are okay or hostile, do they usually grant it or do they impede it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ok, so if I take the ferry and come back I can activate my new work permit at the border crossing there?
Does anyone know if they are okay or hostile, do they usually grant it or do they impede it?
But you would need a French visa to board the ferry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I didn't end up taking a vacation there. Can't tell you what the agents are like.

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
https://www.spm-ferries.fr/en/get-ready-for-your-trip/travel-documents/

.To get on the ferry, you need the proper travel documents.
Thank you for that information, but I didn't ask what documents I need to enter St. Pierre and Miquelon. My questions are:

Heather Lee

Jan 16, 2023
You are a bit of a rude piece of work. With that attitude no one here is going to help you. Good luck flag poling wherever...
I don't think he is, I think scylla is. The question wasn't addressed to her so what is she telling stories about her vacation for? Nobody is answering his question and I'm interested too. I don't have a US visa and I don't want to get a decline from US oficer. Also I don't know what would happen if I got a decline from US and than some problem with a new work permit occured? Do I have to physically leave the canadian soil or not necessarily? Is there a crossing where I could only talk to Canadians, but not to Americans? Anyway St Pierre and Miquelon seems to be a good option so if anyone knows how it works there please share.

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020

You could call 1-888-242-2100 and ask if they process work permit applications at that entry point.
The crossings specifically mentioned on the following link have limited hours. If the crossing isn't mentioned, and is manned, then my understanding is that they will process the permit. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html

The flag poling process itself seems to be straightforward. I don't think you're going to get many people who have done it through this route though.

As above, I don't think many people will have utilised this option. Perhaps you will be a trailblazer and report back with your experience.

Good luck.

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
I don't think he is, I think scylla is. The question wasn't addressed to her so what is she telling stories about her vacation for? Nobody is answering his question and I'm interested too. I don't have a US visa and I don't want to get a decline from US oficer. Also I don't know what would happen if I got a decline from US and than some problem with a new work permit occured? Do I have to physically leave the canadian soil or not necessarily? Is there a crossing where I could only talk to Canadians, but not to Americans? Anyway St Pierre and Miquelon seems to be a good option so if anyone knows how it works there please share.
If you don't have a US Visa (and are from a country that requires one), and you present yourself to the US border, then you will be denied entry. If you present yourself with the specific aim of flagpolling then you will receive an administrative refusal. I understand that they used to give a piece of paper detailing the administrative refusal, which you presented to Canadian authorities, although recent reports seem to say that they're not longer issuing this.

If you have status in Canada, a valid visa, then you should be allowed entry back into the country, even if the Canadian authorities do not process your work permit or there is an issue with it.

A border crossing is between two nation states. There will be border agents from both sides present. There is no option of not speaking to a US officer.

Basically, only flagpole if you have status in Canada. Additionally, I would only recommend it if you needed the work permit quickly. Online applications seem to be taking around 2 months to process at the moment and you can legally work while the application is being processed, if you have maintained status.

Good luck.