+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOUBTS? "Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !!!

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
bohol said:
Hello,

I have a very important matter to ask this is regarding my approaching flight to canada this september 4,2014.
I just recently got my permanent resident visa for canada under spousal/family class.

Here's my situation i will fly from tagbilaran bohol to manila, then manila to san francisco usa, do you i need to have a visa or transit paper even though i just stop there for 2 hours only?? whom i will call about this canadian embassy or us embassy?? my husband is afraid that they will stop me from the point of entry..

please your help is very much appreciated
You need a US visa even for transit. Call your airline to confirm.

If that is the case the immigration in your home country won't let you board the plane.

Regards,

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
bohol said:
Here's my situation i will fly from tagbilaran bohol to manila, then manila to san francisco usa, do you i need to have a visa or transit paper even though i just stop there for 2 hours only?? whom i will call about this canadian embassy or us embassy?? my husband is afraid that they will stop me from the point of entry..
You must obtain a US transit visa. http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians/passing-through-the-us-between-canada-and-a-third-country.html

And http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/other/transit.html

There is a direct Manila to Vancouver flight if you are unable or unwilling to obtain a US transit visa.

tevijay

Nov 12, 2014
Hope everyone here is doing fine. After a long wait, my wife got her PPR and eventually visa stamped as she prepares for landing here in Canada under the family class. I booked her tickets for December 3rd.

I wanted some clarification on POE. Without realizing that she has to do the landing procedure at the first POE in Canada, I booked her ticket to Ottawa via Montreal with just 1.5 hours layover time. I am now concerned that she wouldn't be able to make it to the connecting flight because of this. Worst case, I could still pick her up from Montreal as its not too far a drive but would be convenient to have her land in Ottawa. Will the flight authorities take this to consideration and give her a different connecting flight or is it better for me to plan ahead of time to pick her up. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this matter.

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
tevijay said:
Hope everyone here is doing fine. After a long wait, my wife got her PPR and eventually visa stamped as she prepares for landing here in Canada under the family class. I booked her tickets for December 3rd.

I wanted some clarification on POE. Without realizing that she has to do the landing procedure at the first POE in Canada, I booked her ticket to Ottawa via Montreal with just 1.5 hours layover time. I am now concerned that she wouldn't be able to make it to the connecting flight because of this. Worst case, I could still pick her up from Montreal as its not too far a drive but would be convenient to have her land in Ottawa. Will the flight authorities take this to consideration and give her a different connecting flight or is it better for me to plan ahead of time to pick her up. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this matter.
hi
I had the same issue that my flight was from montreal to toronto with 1.5hr landover time
during this time we had to collect luggage and do immigration and than get the flight

and we missed flight, but aircanada had given me another flight after an hour free of charge.
tell her if she is getting delayed than first talk with airline that she may get late because of this process. at montreal there is no big queue for immigration so it process faster.
In our case our 2 luggaugue was missing and i had done all this procedure so lots of time wasted (luckely when airline told me i am late I claim on them that my lugguage was not there how can you aspect me on time?)
no worries just inform airline if she is aspecting any delay

Doni

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna Office
NOC Code......
2264 Construction Inspector
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2012
AOR Received.
05-12-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Medical results have been received 17.10.2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Desperately Waiting...
qorax said:
Hi YI,

My view point remains the same... if u don't have an AEO, if u don't have friends/relatives to fall back on, if u r not a businessman, if your funds position is as bad as mine -AVOID GOING TO VANCOUVER... in fact let me be as clear as a Jelly-fish can be -DON'T GO TO VANCOUVER.

Toronto should be your first Port of Call. As I said in the other thread, it has the 'largest' job basket. Go there initially, take a job, stay for sometime; and then once u get another [better] placement, move to wherever that 'job' takes u. Vancouver is a dreamland, yes; But not all dreams shall come thru in realty, u know that as well as I do.

Take my word for it, u'll be happier.
Sr. Member PMM will vouch for it.
In any case I wish u all the best !

Qorax
Hi Qorax,

I need your help.

I am planning to make landing sometimes during May (this year), but I am planning to do it by myself (not with my family, my wife and daughter) because I am planning to go in Canada and settle first than to bring my family there. Can you explain to me what will happen if I act like this and if there is any aftereffect.

I really need your answer ASAP.

Thank you very much.

BR.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doni said:
Hi Qorax,

I need your help.

I am planning to make landing sometimes during May (this year), but I am planning to do it by myself (not with my family, my wife and daughter) because I am planning to go in Canada and settle first than to bring my family there. Can you explain to me what will happen if I act like this and if there is any aftereffect.

I really need your answer ASAP.

Thank you very much.

BR.
Qorax has not been active for a while, so I don't think he will answer you in a timely fashion. Back to your question, if you are not the principal applicant, then you cannot land before your spouse. You would either have to land with your spouse or after your spouse.

Doni

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna Office
NOC Code......
2264 Construction Inspector
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2012
AOR Received.
05-12-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Medical results have been received 17.10.2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Desperately Waiting...
steaky said:
Qorax has not been active for a while, so I don't think he will answer you in a timely fashion. Back to your question, if you are not the principal applicant, then you cannot land before your spouse. You would either have to land with your spouse or after your spouse.
Steaky thank you very much for your response.
I am the Principal App. So, this means that I can land first than my wife and my daughter can join me in later stage, right?

Thnx again.

BR.

evenme

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
SPVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2014
Nomination.....
12-01-2015
Med's Request
02-02-2015
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Passport Req..
03-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-09-2015
Hi all, at FSW14 forms, I wrote that my destination was Calgary/AB, but I've changed my mind and now I want to go to Toronto/On to start our canadian life. It will be a problem at landing (I'll land at Toronto)? I should inform the local VO (I'm currently waiting MR)?

jevin

Oct 5, 2014
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Port-of-Spain
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
19-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2015
Good Day:

Just to be clear, here is my situation: I have booked flight from my country to montreal with one stop in toronto [there are no direct flights to montreal]. I have gotten COPR for montreal, Quebec. I will be "in transit" in toronto for a little less than 2 hours. From what i have read here, you say that the first point of entry will be toronto in my case? and landing procedures must be done here? will i have enough time to complete? can the landing procedures be done at montreal if i show them my continuing ticket?

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jevin said:
Good Day:

Just to be clear, here is my situation: I have booked flight from my country to montreal with one stop in toronto [there are no direct flights to montreal]. I have gotten COPR for montreal, Quebec. I will be "in transit" in toronto for a little less than 2 hours. From what i have read here, you say that the first point of entry will be toronto in my case? and landing procedures must be done here? will i have enough time to complete? can the landing procedures be done at montreal if i show them my continuing ticket?

Thanks.
Probably not enough time to complete landing formality (especially if there are lots of line ups) and board the connecting flight to Montreal. The landing formality would be done in Toronto, unfortunately.

j2015

Feb 19, 2015
Hi,
I have received my confirmation of PR, and prepare to land. My case is somehow special... so I'm a bit confused about which port of entry I should go for landing, and which address I should provide to the officer at the interview. I would like to hear your suggestions. Please help!

I applied FSW under PhD stream.

I'm still studying in a university in Quebec, but I will graduate in a few months. My current address is still in Quebec.

When I filled the application form 2 years ago, I put Toronto Ontario as my preferred destination.

During the processing, I was asked to show an "intention to leave Quebec", same as many Quebec students applying for FSW.

I succeeded to provide a job offer of a company in Vancouver BC, and convinced CIC that I would move to BC after I graduate.

Now, my application has been approved, and I received confirmation of PR letter.

I noticed that on this letter, they still put Toronto ON as my destination...

My question is, should I land in the port of entry in Ontario (Cornwall is the closest I guess?), or should I land in Vancouver ? If I land in Toronto, can I tell them that I will be moving to BC and give them a permanent address in BC (my uncle's)?

Thank you so much for your time, and look forward to hearing your opinions on this special case !

Best,
J

jevin

Oct 5, 2014
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Port-of-Spain
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
19-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2015
steaky said:
Probably not enough time to complete landing formality (especially if there are lots of line ups) and board the connecting flight to Montreal. The landing formality would be done in Toronto, unfortunately.
:( ...oh well... i can't change the ticket now. if i miss the flight i guess i'll have to get another... cross my fingers and hope i get through fast....

I saw some people on this same thread attest that there wer eno hassles andthe prosses was fast... others say differently... there are mixed responses so i will just hope for the best lol!

thanks again.

genaro59

Mar 29, 2015
QUESTION.

I AM A USA CITIZEN, CAN I LAND IN CANADA WITHOUT ANY ISSUE? I AM PLANNING ON MOVING INTO CANADA FOR MISSIONARY PURPOSE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE OR CARRY CANADIAN DOCUMENTATION ON ME ALL THE TIME.

GENARO SANCHEZ

punjab 142001

Star Member
Nov 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Nomination.....
14-11-2014 PER
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
22-01-2015
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
qorax said:
Guys,

Lots of us have got the visa/s lately [2010]. And we are now having some doubt about our 'choice of landing', after being on this great forum & having surfed enough reg. various Canadian cities. Thus, the question, "Should I Land in the City mentioned in my Application/COPR, or can go to another Canadian city"?

Please be Clarified that:
As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1) & (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

Hope that's of some help.
Qorax.
I had been recently granted PR under FSWP. I mentioned Calgary in my application.

The friend whose reference I had filled in my form had shifted to Surrey.

Can I make airline booking as

3rd June : Landing in Montreal
9th June : Montreal to Vancouver
16th june : Vancouver to Toronto

I can give my address for PR card as Vancouver/Toronto

Qorax

Upton

Mar 26, 2015
Hi thanks to everyone for giving us important information.

I have got PR visa and my POE is given Winnipeg. I have bought ticket to Ottawa with transit of 4 hours at Montreal. My question is - can I complete my "Record of Landing" at Montreal and then go to Ottawa.
I know lots of discussion was made on this topic but still help me out with your valuable information....

thanking you in advance...