+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOUBTS? "Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Guys,

Lots of us have got the visa/s lately [2010]. And we are now having some doubt about our 'choice of landing', after being on this great forum & having surfed enough reg. various Canadian cities. Thus, the question, "Should I Land in the City mentioned in my Application/COPR, or can go to another Canadian city"?

Please be Clarified that:
As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1) & (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

Hope that's of some help.
Qorax.

CoolEJ

Star Member
Jul 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the timely info.
I'm having second thoughts on changing my POE.

kyle

Oct 13, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-July-2016
i was advised the same thing...
i typed in my application that i am going to land in edmonton,AB...

i submitted full documents and forms and never changed that info...
even if i don't have plans anymore to land in AB...

i choose to stay in BC... :D
if given the chance...

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
kyle said:
i was advised the same thing...
i typed in my application that i am going to land in edmonton,AB...

i submitted full documents and forms and never changed that info...
even if i don't have plans anymore to land in AB...

i choose to stay in BC... :D
if given the chance...
Hi, I'm interested in Vancouver now. Which place in BC r u planning? Any real-time info on Vancouver, besides the netsurf?

nangangarap

Mar 22, 2010
"Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !

Hi to all, i would just like to ask,is it ok to enter a province in canada, different from what I listed n the application form...i already have the visa, under FSW pathway... i write in the application alberta, but now i want to reside in vancouver.............please help :(

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hey NG,

This is exactly the reason why I made this thread. Didn't u read it fully?

Quote/
End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.
/Unquote

Yes u can go to Vancouver.

Regards.

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
THANKS QORAX FOR THIS INFO.

JUST WANTED TO KNOW AS YOU ARE LANDING IN VANCOUVER AND VANCOUVER IS EXPENSIVE THAN TORONTO, WILL US $1500 BE ENOUGH FOR A FAMILY OF TWO ADULTS AND ONE CHILD. YOU ARE VERY EXPERIENCED AND VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE. YOUR ADVISE WILL HELP ME A LOT IN CHOOSING BETWEEN VANCOUVER AND TORONTO.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL WHO GOT THEIR PR AND TO THEM WHO ARE WAITING FOR IT.

MAY GOD BLESS US ALL.

uk2canada

Star Member
Jun 23, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2009
Doc's Request.
October 2009
AOR Received.
November 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
June 2010.
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 2010.
VISA ISSUED...
January 2011
LANDED..........
May 2011
Hi Qorax
And yet again good work mate.
Thanks for that,
Cheeers

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Yahoo India said:
THANKS QORAX FOR THIS INFO.

JUST WANTED TO KNOW AS YOU ARE LANDING IN VANCOUVER AND VANCOUVER IS EXPENSIVE THAN TORONTO, WILL US $1500 BE ENOUGH FOR A FAMILY OF TWO ADULTS AND ONE CHILD. YOU ARE VERY EXPERIENCED AND VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE. YOUR ADVISE WILL HELP ME A LOT IN CHOOSING BETWEEN VANCOUVER AND TORONTO.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL WHO GOT THEIR PR AND TO THEM WHO ARE WAITING FOR IT.

MAY GOD BLESS US ALL.
Hi YI,

My view point remains the same... if u don't have an AEO, if u don't have friends/relatives to fall back on, if u r not a businessman, if your funds position is as bad as mine -AVOID GOING TO VANCOUVER... in fact let me be as clear as a Jelly-fish can be -DON'T GO TO VANCOUVER.

Toronto should be your first Port of Call. As I said in the other thread, it has the 'largest' job basket. Go there initially, take a job, stay for sometime; and then once u get another [better] placement, move to wherever that 'job' takes u. Vancouver is a dreamland, yes; But not all dreams shall come thru in realty, u know that as well as I do.

Take my word for it, u'll be happier.
Sr. Member PMM will vouch for it.
In any case I wish u all the best !

Qorax

SD

Star Member
Jan 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info Qorax! And yes - you are absolutely right - we have a distant relative in Vancouver and the expenses there are much much more that Toronto - and the job market is not so good.

Property prices are insane in Vancouver!

We have decided to rather retire in Vancouver one day!

swaps82

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Hi! Qoarx,

Code:
 I had a word with my Consultant & she said we can land in any city irrespective of what is mentioned in the form. 
I am not sure about Qubec though. I am now trying to secure a job from here before we land there.
There are few things which we have to keep in mind before we land there, i just scrolled through the cic website which shows the following: -

• Essential documents
    To enter Canada, you will need to present the following:

A Canadian immigrant visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member traveling with you
    A valid passport or other travel document for each family member traveling with you
    Two (2) copies of a detailed list of all the personal or household items you are bringing with you
    Two (2) copies of a list of items that are arriving later and their money value
    Do not pack these documents in your luggage. Keep them with you at all times.

Before you arrive, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typed) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as settler’s effects, showing the value, make, model and serial number, if the item has one. Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you and the goods to follow.

Present this list to the border services officer on your first point of arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time.

You can make the process easier by completing a B4 form in advance and presenting it to the officer when you arrive. Visit the Canada Border Services Agency website to download a copy of the Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document.

Disclosure of funds
    If you are carrying more than CDN $10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

Cash
    Securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills)
    Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bankers’ drafts, cheques, travelers’ cheques or money orders)
    Find out more about your responsibilities to disclose funds either before you leave or once you arrive in Canada.

Health documentation
    Children in Canada are vaccinated—also called immunized—beginning when they are newborns. Vaccinations help to prevent serious infections or diseases.

When you travel to Canada, bring official documents that state what vaccinations you and your family have already had. If you or your child has not been vaccinated, call your doctor or local public health clinic right away.

In Canada, immunization or vaccination records are required for children to enroll in school.

Other documents you may need:
    Birth certificates or baptismal certificates
    Marriage certificates
    Adoption, separation or divorce papers
    School records, diplomas or degrees for each family member traveling with you
    Trade or professional certificates and licences
    Letters of reference from former employers
    A list of your educational and professional qualifications and job experience (for your résumé)
    Driver’s licence, including an International Driver’s Permit and a reference from your auto insurance company
    Photocopies of all essential and important documents, in case the originals get lost (be sure to keep the photocopies in a separate place from the originals)
    Car registration documents (if you are importing a motor vehicle into Canada)
    Customs declaration card
    Before you arrive in Canada, you may be asked to complete a Customs Declaration Card. You must complete this card before you meet with customs and immigration officials, even if you are not a Canadian citizen. If you are traveling by air, it is a good idea to complete the card before you leave the airplane.

What to declare
    Use the Customs Declaration Card to declare the following:

Any items that you must pay duty on, including alcohol, tobacco and gifts that you are bringing in to Canada
    Any business goods, plants, food, animals, firearms or other weapons that you are bringing into Canada
    Any amount of money more than CDN $10,000 that you are bringing into Canada
    Do not use this form to list the personal and household goods that you are bringing with you or are following you to Canada. You will show your lists of those items separately to a customs officer.

Declare all items
    If you do not tell an official that you are carrying items that should be declared, you may be fined or put in prison. The money you declare can be in the form of cash, securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures or treasury bills) or negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bank drafts, cheques, travellers cheques or money orders).

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
QORAX, Thanks a lot.

You have been really helpful. I would like to follow you footprints once you land in Canada. What I feel, you are much adept to the conditions in Canada and know what to do first and how to do. I wish I could have met you once I reach Canada.

Thanks a lot again.

Best of luck.

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......