+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO NOT COME TO CANADA (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

renjithxavier

Oct 13, 2012
marcus66052 said:
Let me see if I can do this with a less emotional tone this time around!

I tried to give a general picture of my experience in the first post. It's time to reveal a few more specifics of my situation: I decided to settle in Toronto because I thought it's the largest city in Canada and hence it must have the largest job market. Whether that's true or not is not my concern here. I applied for jobs spanning a wide range of skills, from unskilled grocery store stocking jobs to Business Analyst position with the big five banks. Of course I scoured the national market for jobs in my preferred occupation (college instructor) but I was certainly under no illusions as to what I could expect when starting over. I came here willing to do any job and go from there.

Of all the jobs I applied for since June 4th, these are the calls I've gotten: a phone call from Wal-Mart for a part-time cashier position in Waterloo (55 miles west of Toronto), a phone call from a Toronto Metro store for a part-time cashier position, and an interview call from a local college in Toronto regarding a contract teaching position with their Math Department for the Fall semester (no other college called me about teaching jobs, even though I applied to a lot of open opportunities from coast to coast, making it clear in my cover letters that I was perfectly willing to move at my expense). I went to all three of these interviews I got hired for all three of these positions but needless to say, I had to decline the Wal-Mart offer because it was a back-up option and I really want to be in Toronto. So, right now I'm working as a cashier for Metro (8-12 hours a week a minimum wage) just to cover grocery costs until my teaching contract job starts next week. Since it's only a one-semester contract, I have no way of knowing whether it's going to be renewed beyond December so this teaching job is no big comfort (I won't know until October whether they'll keep me or treat me like a seasonal construction worker).

When you don't have a permanent job, the uncertain nature of your income keeps eating you alive from inside. You have to always worry about where your next paycheck is coming from, and whether you're going to have to go through the embarrassment of facing your landlord with the message that you don't have enough to make next month's rent. You have to spend your time exploring alternative career options, studying for certificate programs or to otherwise upgrade your skills, or applying to jobs in the hope there's some ray of light at the end of the tunnel. There is no time to taste life. None at all, and even if you do take a short amount of time to do something fun, it won't be nearly as enjoyable as you want it to be because the worries in your head don't leave you alone, not even for a minute. This is not what I imagined my life to be. I didn't dream of being rich, but I did want a stable, full-time, permanent job that paid my bills. I felt proud of my accomplishment of getting permanent residence here, a pride that has vanished in the wind after realizing that it's a status that means nothing here. My relationship with this country has been damaged beyond repair. Even if I manage to get a job that's permanent, I don't think I can learn to love this country given how I get treated here.

I guess part of what makes this hard is that I'm getting older and I expect better from life (even if that's not a fair expectation). I'm going to be 34 years old in two and a half weeks and I'm still no closer to owning a home than I was at 19. When you're 19, it's easier to accept living in a basement bachelor apartment that's someone else's property, and looking for the absolute cheapest prices in the absolute cheapest stores ("poor man stores" I like to call them, e.g. Dollarama, for those of you that are here and have seen them).

I don't know where life will take me in this country. I am exploring a few other career options that are in line with my mathematical training but these will take time to materialize, as will my hurt soul to recover (if ever).

Come on Marcus...Everything will be alright...Its life...We have to face everything...May god bless you with Beautiful future life....

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
ADUFE said:
Where I live within the GTA in Ontario, I do not know ANYBODY who drinks from their taps directly. They either buy bottled water or have filtration systems attached to their kitchen taps.
I guess I must just be crazy then!! Maybe the chemical filled Alberta water has clouded my judgment!! ;)

androme

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
02-10-2012
Canooknic said:
I guess I must just be crazy then!! Maybe the chemical filled Alberta water has clouded my judgment!! ;)
Its a possibility that you shouldn't take lightly. Also, I hope you don't live anywhere near Jackson creek. Even if you don't it doesn't matter as water carries anything that is put in it artificially or naturally simply due to the fact that it flows and is not stationary. Check this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/06/08/calgary-sundre-oil-spill.html link out. Now imagine or try to do a mental calculation of how information is allowed to be out there for people like us to access. What do you think FRACTURING (for natural gases) does to the protective layers of Earth beneath which fresh water lies. What do you think Oil sands is doing to the rivers and lakes and streams in Canada, esp in the west. Check this http://www.dennislehmkuhl.com/18601/index.html. Read about it and try and comprehend.

The point of all this is that since west is all commercialized and indsutrialized (going back to initial post) everythin on the surface looks pretty organized and clean (which ofcourse is a front). Beneath all this is all dirty. Its dominated by greed and scams just to make extra money or surpass the previous quarter. Your grandfather was lucky as he was from generation which was probably not as effected and as destroyed like yours and mine. can't even imagine what would our kids gens be like. In a third world country on the other hand, on the surface its all dirty and disorganized. However, the quality of food and water is far superior ironically. For egs we get our food from supermarkets where food is processed and packaged in warehouses owned by pvt cos(read XL). It all looks clean and we get it cheaper. However in a third world country the meat is probably killed alive right in front of you and caracas is thrown right where you buy it from. However, the chicken or meat you buy is reared in the outside not in a dimly lit overcrowded hormnone injected farm. All this is changing in the third world as well. Since pvt cos have spread their tentacles over there as well unfortuantely.

Its easy to be defensive about your own country, family, water etc and point fingures at a 3rd world country. However, if you don't look around you and lose perspective of your own world, you are just shooting yourself in your own feet. If you realy think about it, cola cos would love to pollute the lakes and fresh water bodies as the sales of their products would always be high if we depend on them instead of tap water (and most us are actually doing that). Anyways, the oil and chemical cos are doing the job for them. All I am saying is that things are not as good as you might wanna believe it to be and you are not doing any favors to yourself, your family and to others by being ignorant and complascent at the same time. Good luck!

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
My husband has lots of experience in his field. He is a Chemist and did PhD with many honorable fellowship from Japan/Germany and here in Canada. He applied many University in Canada/USA and many Pharmaceutical Company. Had interview in couple of Universities and Companies but finally getting nothing....he's getting frustrated and thought it'd be positive if he'll apply as a Canadian Citizen but after getting citizenship, still applying but no response from anywhere! We saw some ppl who doesn't have enough qualification but they got university position or Company job. Seems us Canada has still bureaucratic, discrimination and bad lobbying.

I got this comment from someone who wrote it when she saw the research about Doctor and Phd holders drive taxi...

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Go to Youtube and type Immigration to Canada for Doctors.... I saw it about 2 years ago....

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunsun said:
My husband has lots of experience in his field. He is a Chemist and did PhD with many honorable fellowship from Japan/Germany and here in Canada. He applied many University in Canada/USA and many Pharmaceutical Company. Had interview in couple of Universities and Companies but finally getting nothing....he's getting frustrated and thought it'd be positive if he'll apply as a Canadian Citizen but after getting citizenship, still applying but no response from anywhere! We saw some ppl who doesn't have enough qualification but they got university position or Company job. Seems us Canada has still bureaucratic, discrimination and bad lobbying.
It is worse than this for many specially high graduate degree holders even PhD's holders from Canadian universities ...
I know this is NOT what a lot wanna hear but it is the unfortunate truth

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
androme said:
All I am saying is that things are not as good as you might wanna believe it to be and you are not doing any favors to yourself, your family and to others by being ignorant and complascent at the same time. Good luck!
And all I was saying is that things aren't worse in Canada than other countries - I worked for a water company in England and it's no better there, I'm not in any way being complacent or ignorant.

I just didnt want people to read your comments and be scared, in the same way that I have made comments when people have been told not to live in cities because they'll get mugged or that everyone in certain provinces are racist etc.

I didn't intend to 'attack' (for want of a better word) your comments, and I apologise if that's how it came across

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
emamabd said:
Surely you're right, its a big adventure and there are chances that things can go the wright or wrong way....Congrats for getting a permanent job, even if the pay is not satisfactory at first surely with time you'll get something better - have you upgraded your education in Canada? Or attended bridging courses?
I would like to become one day a journeyman in cabinetmaking, even though is not what I studied for at the beginning it is fun and very artistic. I have to wait until I get my PR. So in due time ;) and indeed it has been a big adventure.

Thank you!

sac

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2008
AOR Received.
28-05-2008
hopeful4 said:
NIce post. Now I Know I should not expect t much out of Canada.
I am a PHD holder, university lecturer , 34 years old , have a good income in my country , house car and reasonable life
yet I am willing to do a supermarket job in canada and have survival income <<<<why?
simply becuase I want my son to breath cleaner air, have more freedom, enjoy more human rights, be brought up to better values, live in a cleaner enviornemnt ,,,,,,visit a better school,,,,have the chance of doing sprot and dicrovering his talents,

simply so,,,,
Hopeful4: i like you very much. you are such a level-headed person who sees the big picture. perhaps marcus one day can realize no one forced him to come to Canada. A positive mind can see something behind the seeming darkness one is in.

ADUFE

Jun 28, 2009
All I am saying is that things are not as good as you might wanna believe it to be and you are not doing any favors to yourself, your family and to others by being ignorant and complascent at the same time. Good luck!
[/quote]

Very well said Androme! I have NEVER seen the level of complacency observed in Canada anywhere else in the world. It's absolutely maddening.....There is even a term for them coined by one of the alternative media;"complacent Canadians". So apt........IMO

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
ADUFE said:

Very well said Androme! I have NEVER seen the level of complacency observed in Canada anywhere else in the world. It's absolutely maddening.....There is even a term for them coined by one of the alternative media;"complacent Canadians". So apt........IMO
There's a difference between accepting things as they are and getting on with life and being complacent. I spent many years living in England and couldn't wait to get away from the stress and hectic lifestyle over there - I truly found it exhausting!
Anyone that hasn't lived in Canada needs to know that it isn't some magical world of wonderfulness, but it is the best place on the planet for me and my family, we have never been happier, healthier or more secure financially.

BTW - I'm curious as to why you find "complacent Canadians" so maddening

irfan346

Jan 26, 2011
With regards to marcus' story, I would like to know one thing...are there no unemployment benefits such as the one in UK?...some basic money provided by the government for unemployed ppl?

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
irfan346 said:
With regards to marcus' story, I would like to know one thing...are there no unemployment benefits such as the one in UK?...some basic money provided by the government for unemployed ppl?
There are no unemployment benefits (we call them employment insurance EI)! but if he works full time for more than six months and pays EI, he can receive unemployment for less than 6months or till he finds a job whichever is first

Akrum66

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
It is unfair to analyze job market and job availability in Canada without comparing situation at back home country.

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2012 received 26-03-2012
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
11-25-2011 extension requested from IO 11-20-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
January 14th, 2013 Decision Made!
LANDED..........
In a minute!
I've been reading this post and feel for the author but every where you go (excluding your home country) will be hard in the beginning. You should never expect things to be picture perfect right away. But think of this... Why did you decide to move to Canada? Were your expectations high? Are you trying to make the best of your situation? You seem to be well educated therefore, although you may not see it, you will do good. You just have to believe in your self..

I wish you good luck although you're probably doing better since the original post.. And for anyone having trouble with their initial move and finding work, etc.. All the best.. Canada is a great place to live but as with any place, nothing will be handed to you so have faith in yourself..

Status
Not open for further replies.