+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO NOT COME TO CANADA (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

honney

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
TyrusX said:
I'm a Brazilian PhD Student in Canada. I kind of agree with you. Canada is a nice country, but it is far away from paradise. I love the country, but being an immigrant here is not easy. Even for a western person like me there was a cultural shock, I can only imagine people from other parts of the world that have a lot less in common culture-wise. Also, don't get sick here, going to the doctor in another language is hard, and if you happen to have something serious, it will take some serious talking to convince them. Keep you expectations low when moving here is the best solution. Be aware that they will wants things their way, and you will be in an disadvantageous position to start with. if you can live with that and withstand suffering and depression for a few years, you can turn the things around and be happy. But the start is difficult, after the few weeks were everything is like vacationing.
i agree with you with that part you said to "keep expectations low when moving here is the best solution"...i believe that attitude matters a lot, that's why, experiences of immigrants vary...some are grateful to be in Canada and satisfied with the survival jobs they get...but in the long run, they became successful as they were equipped with the right attitude...

dskairon

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR 28/01/2011
IELTS Request
Already Sent with Doc's
File Transfer...
In process from 2nd May 2012
Med's Request
05/07/2013
Med's Done....
16/08/2013
Interview........
not recd.
Passport Req..
05/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
not recd.
LANDED..........
Waiting ....
DEAR ALL

PLEASE READ THIS STORY

I can't believe that I've been here for almost a year! However, it's true. March 29 is my first anniversary. I'm not sure if I'm still a "new" immigrant after Mar 29. Smiley I would like to be counted as a Canadian, though.
I recalled on Mar 28, 2010 I landed at Edmonton, AB without any companies. All made me decide to fly to Edmonton is my positive expectation of the job market in Alberta. When I submitted my application to Buffalo CIC in Aug 2009, I applied as FSW - accountant (at that time accountant was an acceptable occupation). Since then I spent a little time searching for Canadian market and got (sort of) that Alberta has jobs. At the end of 2010, I landed in Toronto. Meantime, my status at CIC tracking ended with "You became to Permanent Resident of Canada on Dec 29, 2010." Toronto was my selected landing city on my application form but I decided to start in Alberta.

I only spent two nights in Toronto but got four important things done: 1) exchanging my US driver's license to Ontario (in Aug 2010 I went back to my country from US as I ran out of F1 term, and my license was expired in Oct 2010 -- However, as long as within 6 months since your US license gets expired, one can exchange a valid license in Canada. I therefore easily got Ontario Class 5); 2) getting SIN; 3) registering myself with medical insurance; and 4) opening a bank account and obtaining credit card and debit card. I am lucky. I don't have any relatives in Canada but have a friend in Toronto. I got a temporary license right away and the rest of cards/documentations were sent to my friend's within a month. In the very early morning, I said good-bye to Pearson and flew to US to visit my close friends. It was Dec 31, 2010. How happy I was!

April 8, 2011. I got snow in Edmonton. I was so surprised and even a little depressed. The depression is from snow and job hunting. Although I knew it's not easy for new comers to build a life in a new place, I never expected finding a job could be “that” hard. During the first two weeks, I sort of submitted about 200 emails to apply for various accounting jobs without any response. I believed something was wrong but couldn't figure out a solution to solve it. I therefore started looking for help online and noted “newcomer center” or something like that.

When I looked back, I would suggest all new comers to visit such a center. You won't find a job there but you will get tons of help including resume revision, interview techniques, making friends, job fair, etc. etc. During the last two weeks of April, I received four interview calls, two of which were from KPMG.

I thought I could get a job in KPMG as the two calls brought me lots of hopes. I spent the first week of May in US again and waited for my first offer letter after I was back to Edmonton. However, I got a rejection email finally. The only thing that I could do was to look for job again. I was a little frustrated but tried my best to keep myself moving. Otherwise, I could be more and more frustrated.

Thank God who didn't make my days too hard. Deloitte interviewed me twice during the last week of May and issued me an offer letter with a good relocation package in June. I finally moved to Calgary in September and my new life/new job begins since then. Before relocation, I went back to US again.

I guess most readers here are highly interested in job searching in Canada. I'm not familiar with other occupations than accounting or financial audit. However, as what I said every one of us needs to keep ourselves moving. Don't spend too much time in front of TV or computer at home. Go to new comer center, university libraries, employment assistance office, English/French center, etc. to talk with others, to share experience with others, and to get to know your new living place. Migrating to Canada is a smart decision. Life will be always bright. Try to enjoy your life even before you find a job. Think about it – you will find a job anyway, but after you get a job you may not have much leisure time. Grin For instance myself, I work in Deloitte six days a week, longer than 12 hours every day.

I love my life in Canada, although I still cannot balance life and work. I'm very happy with my decision to go to Canada that I made two years ago and proud that I've been here for a year! Wink

mute_man

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
SG
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 January 2011
Nomination.....
23 June 2011
AOR Received.
20 July 2011
Med's Request
05 March 2014
Med's Done....
15 March 2014
Passport Req..
05 March 2014
VISA ISSUED...
16 April 2014
LANDED..........
12 July 2014
dskairon said:
DEAR ALL

PLEASE READ THIS STORY

I love my life in Canada, although I still cannot balance life and work. I'm very happy with my decision to go to Canada that I made two years ago and proud that I've been here for a year! Wink
+1 for sharing!!

Aasim.ahmad

Oct 4, 2012
Guys i am fresh graduate,did my bS chemical engg recently.. i am trying to get admission in MENG prog in Alberta uni,what are the chances of landing job after Meng?

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aasim.ahmad said:
Guys i am fresh graduate,did my bS chemical engg recently.. i am trying to get admission in MENG prog in Alberta uni,what are the chances of landing job after Meng?
Lots of demand for Mechanical Eng in Alberta. However, it depends on the economy as well as time.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aasim.ahmad said:
scorpion_ca said:
Lots of demand for Mechanical Eng in Alberta. However, it depends on the economy as well as time.
In general:
Economy, time, luck, NETWORKING and CONNECTIONS
"from what I have seen" your chances of landing a job before MENG are almost equal to after MENG...specially if you can be more technical, hands on, ... the more academics hurts you both financially and in finding a job...you will hear the term "over qualified"

Oct 3, 2012
hi all, can anyone in Canada help me with this question...what is the potential of a therapist specializing in children with special needs (Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation etc.) in Canada? and which region has more institutes in this field.

Tasnim

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/1/12
Doc's Request.
15/1/12
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
15/1/12
File Transfer...
27/2/12
Med's Request
23/9/12
Med's Done....
01/10/12
Interview........
Waived Insha Allah
Passport Req..
09/01/2013
VISA ISSUED...
11/01/2013 Alhamdulillah
LANDED..........
Alhamdulillah Landed on 11 March 2013 in Toronto , Ontario
Hi Yogi

Can you advise me . I forgot to put enclosed label when sending RRPF draft to CHC London. But I have enclosed the letter which have file number. I found from the forum that you had same situation . Is it a problem...will it cause delay ? was your application was delayed for this mistake ...

Please advise.

Thanks

Tasnim

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
marcus66052 said:
Let me see if I can do this with a less emotional tone this time around!

I tried to give a general picture of my experience in the first post. It's time to reveal a few more specifics of my situation: I decided to settle in Toronto because I thought it's the largest city in Canada and hence it must have the largest job market. Whether that's true or not is not my concern here. I applied for jobs spanning a wide range of skills, from unskilled grocery store stocking jobs to Business Analyst position with the big five banks. Of course I scoured the national market for jobs in my preferred occupation (college instructor) but I was certainly under no illusions as to what I could expect when starting over. I came here willing to do any job and go from there.

Of all the jobs I applied for since June 4th, these are the calls I've gotten: a phone call from Wal-Mart for a part-time cashier position in Waterloo (55 miles west of Toronto), a phone call from a Toronto Metro store for a part-time cashier position, and an interview call from a local college in Toronto regarding a contract teaching position with their Math Department for the Fall semester (no other college called me about teaching jobs, even though I applied to a lot of open opportunities from coast to coast, making it clear in my cover letters that I was perfectly willing to move at my expense). I went to all three of these interviews I got hired for all three of these positions but needless to say, I had to decline the Wal-Mart offer because it was a back-up option and I really want to be in Toronto. So, right now I'm working as a cashier for Metro (8-12 hours a week a minimum wage) just to cover grocery costs until my teaching contract job starts next week. Since it's only a one-semester contract, I have no way of knowing whether it's going to be renewed beyond December so this teaching job is no big comfort (I won't know until October whether they'll keep me or treat me like a seasonal construction worker).

When you don't have a permanent job, the uncertain nature of your income keeps eating you alive from inside. You have to always worry about where your next paycheck is coming from, and whether you're going to have to go through the embarrassment of facing your landlord with the message that you don't have enough to make next month's rent. You have to spend your time exploring alternative career options, studying for certificate programs or to otherwise upgrade your skills, or applying to jobs in the hope there's some ray of light at the end of the tunnel. There is no time to taste life. None at all, and even if you do take a short amount of time to do something fun, it won't be nearly as enjoyable as you want it to be because the worries in your head don't leave you alone, not even for a minute. This is not what I imagined my life to be. I didn't dream of being rich, but I did want a stable, full-time, permanent job that paid my bills. I felt proud of my accomplishment of getting permanent residence here, a pride that has vanished in the wind after realizing that it's a status that means nothing here. My relationship with this country has been damaged beyond repair. Even if I manage to get a job that's permanent, I don't think I can learn to love this country given how I get treated here.

I guess part of what makes this hard is that I'm getting older and I expect better from life (even if that's not a fair expectation). I'm going to be 34 years old in two and a half weeks and I'm still no closer to owning a home than I was at 19. When you're 19, it's easier to accept living in a basement bachelor apartment that's someone else's property, and looking for the absolute cheapest prices in the absolute cheapest stores ("poor man stores" I like to call them, e.g. Dollarama, for those of you that are here and have seen them).

I don't know where life will take me in this country. I am exploring a few other career options that are in line with my mathematical training but these will take time to materialize, as will my hurt soul to recover (if ever).
Reply only one thing bro :
Dont Cic says that you not even qualified with particular funds say $15000 for a couple .
Which can keep you alive for a year as a starter and give you enough time to hunt for job alongwithany part time petrol pump job .
Why you think that you got some things special which thousands of other temp resedence like student etc dont have in them ? So people willoffer you good job overseeing other people .

Life is name of struggle , and everyone need to do that , someone more and someone do less .

Do you think you are smarter then many immigrant people working nightshift in petro pump or at macdonald ?

Only think is some has got settlement funds and they can waste them on there initials months with or without part time jobs searching for skill job . whereas other brave enough to start there life from scratch and go step by step to place where they deserve to .

Please do not cry like this , you will get job what you deserve but you need to wait and survive happly.

Ask millions of other people who waiting for day to land Canada. If you are lucky to be here then keep faith in your luck you will get what you deserve in few months or say years .

Again feel proud that you just 34 and already landed, think about 2,80,000 people and there family who waited 6-7 years and got over 40 when cane to know that CIC has reject there application in name of some new rules .
May allah bless all if us .

rawlin4bbhh

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Auto-mobile experienced people please connect here:

Please remove the spaces from the back (before & after 37)& check...

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/automoblie-mechanics-supervisors-72167301-plz-connect-here-t1212 37 .0.html

hopeful4

Sep 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2007
Doc's Request.
10-3-2010
AOR Received.
18-1-2008
IELTS Request
10-3-2010
File Transfer...
17-5-2012
Med's Request
18-3-2013
Med's Done....
21-3-2013
Passport Req..
16-4-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-4-2013
LANDED..........
June-July 2013
NIce post. Now I Know I should not expect t much out of Canada.
I am a PHD holder, university lecturer , 34 years old , have a good income in my country , house car and reasonable life
yet I am willing to do a supermarket job in canada and have survival income <<<<why?
simply becuase I want my son to breath cleaner air, have more freedom, enjoy more human rights, be brought up to better values, live in a cleaner enviornemnt ,,,,,,visit a better school,,,,have the chance of doing sprot and dicrovering his talents,

simply so,,,,

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hopeful4 said:
NIce post. Now I Know I should not expect t much out of Canada.
I am a PHD holder, university lecturer , 34 years old , have a good income in my country , house car and reasonable life
yet I am willing to do a supermarket job in canada and have survival income <<<<why?
simply becuase I want my son to breath cleaner air, have more freedom, enjoy more human rights, be brought up to better values, live in a cleaner enviornemnt ,,,,,,visit a better school,,,,have the chance of doing sprot and dicrovering his talents,

simply so,,,,
I totally understand. I have seen many physicians, dentists, university professors (PhD holders)....who work in completely inferior jobs for that same reason!

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Please see the research about new immigrants in CIC website who work as taxi drivers even some of them have Phd degree...But actually you are lucky can get PR than 280.000 applicants plus their families who applied before Pre Feb 2008 but got refused

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunsun said:
Please see the research about new immigrants in CIC website who work as taxi drivers even some of them have Phd degree...But actually you are lucky can get PR than 280.000 applicants plus their families who applied before Pre Feb 2008 but got refused
I have said it before many did not like it. They would like to live the fantasy. The truth hurts

hopeful4

Sep 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2007
Doc's Request.
10-3-2010
AOR Received.
18-1-2008
IELTS Request
10-3-2010
File Transfer...
17-5-2012
Med's Request
18-3-2013
Med's Done....
21-3-2013
Passport Req..
16-4-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-4-2013
LANDED..........
June-July 2013
SunSUN I am one of those applicants. But I am lucky that I happen to be one of the 20k whose applications are still open. Yet 5 years of waiting are weighing heavy on me now. I should make it to canada before I am 35 or it will be nonesense after that

Status
Not open for further replies.