+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

smallkick

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Update my status, finally got the passport and PR visa back today. I am planning to complete landing this weekend.
Good luck everyone on this forum. Thanks.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Hi,

johnyoung1984 said:
By the way, it has been one more year since I submitted my application. So should I count the total hours until now or just give them the total hours one year ago?
NeverGiveUp said:
You can count the total working hours until now. They must consider any updated documents before the final assessment (e.g. updated work reference letter, IELTS score...) I'm pretty sure that some forum members were awarded additional points for updated work experience and IELTS score. If you got a master degree in Canada (at least two years), you should have been awarded these points... (you'll be awarded these points at final assessment if you have provided them with enough proofs)
NeverGiveUp is right---by law, they should award you points for any experience that occurred after the application but before the assessment. This is stated in the OP 6B (Chapter 9.12, "Experience"),

Officers must:
(...)
  • take into account any years of experience that occur between application and assessment, and for which the applicant has submitted the necessary documentation (R77);
In my case, however, they accepted the updated description of my lead statement and duties, but counted the experience only up to the date of application. But hopefully, you have enough points without relying on extra experience anyways?

johnyoung1984 said:
I am so disappointed. I get a master degree here in Canada, and my wife also has a college diploma in China. But they didn't give any point for adaptability. This is just so unfair and irresponsible.
Apparently they mistakenly did not give you adaptability points. Did you complete your M.Sc. and submit a proof of degree with the application? If yes, definitely state this fact in your email to CPP-Ottawa. By the way, I recommend you sending the email rather than the paper mail---it is faster and you will have a proof of your communication with CIC. One of the forum members, aidina, was able to appeal his rejection by sending to CPP-Ottawa a screenshot of his earlier email to them. :)

A.jenab said:
I was told it would be possible; two of my colleagues were able to get their PER after 4 semesters (They were in Canada less than a month before starting their PhD). Also, last fall our university organized a meeting with an officer and the guy clearly mentioned that it is possible to apply. I wasn't there but those two friends I mentioned were and applied immediately. So, I took my chance... plus I can resubmit the whole application after being returned. No harm done yet :)
It might be that they are changing the interpretation of the rules. You never know what *rules* are going to be in effect when you apply even though the *law* does not change. Adaptability points is one of such examples---those who applied prior to June 2010 got +5 for 2 years of study in Canada, while present applicants are rejected for lack of the same. With these two years vs. four semesters issue, my school's immigration lawyer was telling everyone that it is 2 academic (not calendar) years, and I believed that until several people from this forum got their applications returned. This might have been changed again, or albaik was just lucky.

I think you didn't risk anything by applying early, except the postage, which is nothing compared to the application-related expenses. I guess we will know when you hear from CIO and CPP. In the meantime, good luck!

smallkick said:
Update my status, finally got the passport and PR visa back today. I am planning to complete landing this weekend.
Good luck everyone on this forum. Thanks.
Congratulations smallkick! :)

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
informer2000 said:
Getting PER from CIO is one thing. But the final decision is from CPP-O. And we have seen cases where PER was granted by CIO and the final decision by CPP-O was negative. CIO only does preliminary overall check and can let some issues pass or just pass the decision to CPP-O. Adaptability points for previous years in the PhD studies is one example of this.
+1! Informer for informing this reality.

Curious2

Jan 7, 2013
pontryagin said:
Hi Guys, just an update of my landing and PR card.
We landed @ Carway office on Jun 12, and received my PR card last Monday (Aug 26). It took 69+ days + Shipping.
Thanks everyone here and good luck with your application.
Thanks for sharing , the processing time is now 72 days, mine has passed that and yet no PR card.

johnyoung1984

Jun 27, 2012
Thank you guys so much! By the way, what's this lead statement thing? I remember My supervisor has clearly stated in my reference letter.

To Whom It May Concern:

This is to confirm that ***** is currently a full-time graduate student in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics at ****** University, and is working on his PhD thesis under my supervision. I have employed Mr. Zhou as a part-time research assistant since September 2009. His annual salary is $8,000 and he works 12 hours/week on average. Until now he has worked for me for about 1872 hours. His main duty is to conduct literature reviews, surveys and other research for use in scholarly publication. Moreover, he compiles research results and assists me in analysis of results. His performance exceeds my expectations in many aspects. He is also in good academic standing as well.

If any further information is required, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

My Ta work experience is in another reference letter provided by our secretary. I guess they don't even look at it. Because it states I also work as a TA for 260*3=780 hours. Therefore, my total hours is 2652 hours.

I just don't know what's the lead statement? Any idea.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
johnyoung1984 said:
I just don't know what's the lead statement? Any idea.

A postgraduate research or teaching assistant assists university professors in research and teaching activities

on the basis of what I see on your letter, assists me in analysis of results matches closely with the lead statement mentioned above

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/Profile.aspx?val=4&val1=4012

However, assists me in the analysis of results is also a main duty. In your updated letter it would be more helpful if you throw in a sentence like this 'Mr. X currently assists me in research pertaining to YYYYYYYYY (for your PhD) and previously assisted me in research pertaining to ZZZZZZ (For your MASc)'

Be specific and more direct and boldface the lead statement

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
PER receieved on 05-APR-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application (band 8.5)
File Transfer...
Transferred from Buffelo to Ottawa
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Greetings all!

Has anyone submitted their passports to CPP Ottawa together with the passports of their family members that were not in Canada at that time? Do you remember anyone mentioning anything like this in the forum? I am desperately looking for a possible precedence to my situation: there are three family members on my application. My eldest son and I are in Canada, while my wife and the youngest son are overseas, stuck there waiting for the TRV renewal. Because they are seeking regular TRVs that do not fall in the priority list for CIC, it may be long before they get their visas in light of this crazy strike. So, what if I ask them to send their passports to me and then I send all four passports to CPP-Ottawa? Otherwise I am afraid I may miss the deadline. :( Does anyone know if this is permissible?

Thanks a million in advance...

Cheers...

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
GeoCanadian said:
Greetings all!

Has anyone submitted their passports to CPP Ottawa together with the passports of their family members that were not in Canada at that time? Do you remember anyone mentioning anything like this in the forum? I am desperately looking for a possible precedence to my situation: there are three family members on my application. My eldest son and I are in Canada, while my wife and the youngest son are overseas, stuck there waiting for the TRV renewal. Because they are seeking regular TRVs that do not fall in the priority list for CIC, it may be long before they get their visas in light of this crazy strike. So, what if I ask them to send their passports to me and then I send all four passports to CPP-Ottawa? Otherwise I am afraid I may miss the deadline. :( Does anyone know if this is permissible?

Cheers...
Don't your wife and son need their passports to re-enter Canada??...i don't see how they can send their passports to you while they are overseas!..correct me if i'm missing something here???
anyways, all your passports need to be sent in to ottawa together...so you will have to waiit till you get all the passports...if your are afraid you will not meet the 60 day deadline, you can always e-mail ottawa and request an extension by explaining your current situation ...

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Thanks Anjuki, for your reply. What I am trying to find out here is whether it is legal/permissible to submit the passports of those family members that are not in Canada to CPP-Ottawa. And, yes, they would need their passports to travel to Canada, but they would get them back with the PR visas via FedEx or similar. We all have U.S. multiple entry visas - so, theoretically, we could then all meet South of the border and land as we come into Canada in our car. As I said, what I am not sure about is whether there is anything illegal/not permissible in submitting passports of those family members that are not in Canada to CPP-Ottawa. Unfortunately, despite my repeat messages, CPP-Ottawa has not replied to this question.

anjuku said:
Don't your wife and son need their passports to re-enter Canada??...i don't see how they can send their passports to you while they are overseas!..correct me if i'm missing something here???
anyways, all your passports need to be sent in to ottawa together...so you will have to waiit till you get all the passports...if your are afraid you will not meet the 60 day deadline, you can always e-mail ottawa and request an extension by explaining your current situation ...

anjuku said:

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
GeoCanadian said:
Greetings all!

Cheers...
Hello there,

I remember that there was an applicant from Turkey who received the passports request while he was there, he sent all the passports to a friend who sent them to CPP-Ottawa, then his friend sent him all the passports back after getting the visas issued. I think he did sent them to Canada with someone as they said it is illegal to send them by a courier from his country to Canada.
So it depends whether you can bring the passports from your country or not, once they received them in Ottawa they will issue the visa even your family is back home.

JVJ

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-Feb-2012
Doc's Request.
8-Mar-2013 - Employment Letter ; 4-Apr-2013 - POF & RCMP
AOR Received.
21-Mar-2012
Med's Request
10-May-2013
Med's Done....
23-May-2013; 27-May-2013 - Medicals emailed (by doctor) to CIC
Passport Req..
4-June-2013; Passport sent on 5-June-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-June-2013; .....Passports rcvd on 21-June-2013
LANDED..........
30-June-2013
Anjuku Please check your inbox. Thanks.

JVJ

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-Feb-2012
Doc's Request.
8-Mar-2013 - Employment Letter ; 4-Apr-2013 - POF & RCMP
AOR Received.
21-Mar-2012
Med's Request
10-May-2013
Med's Done....
23-May-2013; 27-May-2013 - Medicals emailed (by doctor) to CIC
Passport Req..
4-June-2013; Passport sent on 5-June-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-June-2013; .....Passports rcvd on 21-June-2013
LANDED..........
30-June-2013
Asberth if you are still active, then please check your inbox. Thanks.

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Thanks a lot N_O! This is helpful indeed.

N_O said:
Hello there,

I remember that there was an applicant from Turkey who received the passports request while he was there, he sent all the passports to a friend who sent them to CPP-Ottawa, then his friend sent him all the passports back after getting the visas issued. I think he did sent them to Canada with someone as they said it is illegal to send them by a courier from his country to Canada.
So it depends whether you can bring the passports from your country or not, once they received them in Ottawa they will issue the visa even your family is back home.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Guys, can someone please confirm that if one applies under PhD category after the completion of the degree, will s/he be entitled the 5 adaptability points?

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Anna2013 said:
Guys, can someone please confirm that if one applies under PhD category after the completion of the degree, will s/he be entitled the 5 adaptability points?
I confirm that. Moreover, if you apply before completing your PhD and get the degree before the assessment by CPP-Ottawa, you'll get the points for the degree and adaptability points.