+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
kg.jadu said:
I confirm that. Moreover, if you apply before completing your PhD and get the degree before the assessment by CPP-Ottawa, you'll get the points for the degree and adaptability points.
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I had applied after the completion of the degree, but according to the notes, 0 points is given for my previous study in Canada. (I don't want getting into that they accepted only a small portion of my job experiences and hence doubted my eligibility).

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
GeoCanadian said:
Thanks a lot N_O! This is helpful indeed.
You're welcome! The applicant who sent his all the passports while he was abroad is habibe, you may want to read his last posts or send him a PM to ask what he did exactly.

Goodluck!

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Anna2013:

Anna2013 said:
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I had applied after the completion of the degree, but according to the notes, 0 points is given for my previous study in Canada. (I don't want getting into that they accepted only a small portion of my job experiences and hence doubted my eligibility).
I don't know what are your exact circumstances but if the final decision has not been made on your application (usually by FA01772), you can send to CIC updated letters of reference and change their assessment. If you do that, make sure to mention adaptability points---you are absolutely eligible for them.

Good luck.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
kg.jadu said:
Anna2013:

I don't know what are your exact circumstances but if the final decision has not been made on your application (usually by FA01772), you can send to CIC updated letters of reference and change their assessment. If you do that, make sure to mention adaptability points---you are absolutely eligible for them.

Good luck.
Well, I don't know if the final decision is made by now, but has not been made by the time of creating the notes. It is done by SL.

They accepted the wording of my letters (only a few of them though) but for one of them that they accepted, I had claimed like 1200 hours but they said I have 3 months of experience in that job. I think that they made a mistake in the calculations. Do you think I must write them and reveal that I got the notes and there are these problems in the assessements?

Thanks for your inputs.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Anna2013 said:
Well, I don't know if the final decision is made by now, but has not been made by the time of creating the notes. It is done by SL.

They accepted the wording of my letters (only a few of them though) but for one of them that they accepted, I had claimed like 1200 hours but they said I have 3 months of experience in that job. I think that they made a mistake in the calculations. Do you think I must write them and reveal that I got the notes and there are these problems in the assessements?
If you did not hear from them then the final decision has not been made yet. Usually they refuse the application immediately after the review. Meaning you can write an email to them and point out the irregularities you've found.

As for your work experience, why did they give you only 3 months? What was their motivation? There must be explanation of the officer who reviewed your file in the "Notes" section. Do they think you overemphasized your experience? If you can see that this was an arithmetic mistake then you definitely should write to them---and also mention your adaptability points.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
kg.jadu said:
If you did not hear from them then the final decision has not been made yet. Usually they refuse the application immediately after the review. Meaning you can write an email to them and point out the irregularities you've found.

As for your work experience, why did they give you only 3 months? What was their motivation? There must be explanation of the officer who reviewed your file in the "Notes" section. Do they think you overemphasized your experience? If you can see that this was an arithmetic mistake then you definitely should write to them---and also mention your adaptability points.
I did read the notes. They said "PA submitted letter of reference that contains the lead statement and substantial number of duties from XX2010 to XX2011. PA has 3 months of experience". That time interval makes a total of 20 months, and I suspect that they only made a mistake counting the number of months. And then the officer moves on to the next job letter.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Anna2013:

Anna2013 said:
I did read the notes. They said "PA submitted letter of reference that contains the lead statement and substantial number of duties from XX2010 to XX2011. PA has 3 months of experience". That time interval makes it 20 months, and I suspect that they only made a mistake counting the number of months. And then the officer moves on to the next job letter.
I think you should definitely write an email to your visa office then. That must be an error in the assessment. Regrettably, visa officers make mistakes like that. Just don't delay it---they can assess your application any day, and even well before the due date on your file. Good luck!

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
kg.jadu said:
Anna2013:

I think you should definitely write an email to your visa office then. That must be an error in the assessment. Regrettably, visa officers make mistakes like that. Just don't delay it---they can assess your application any day, and even well before the due date on your file. Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestions, I will email them the first thing in the morning.

Also, I have noted that they have missed attaching the documents of two of my emails to my file.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Anna2013 said:
Thank you for the suggestions, I will email them the first thing in the morning.

Also, I have noted that they have missed attaching the documents of two of my emails to my file.
Glad to help Anna2013.

Oh yeah, they do it all the time. It's always a good idea to ask them to acknowledge the receipt of your documents. Sometimes they are very helpful with that. (But sometimes not---then it is good to follow up.)

dev236

Jun 24, 2011
Hello everybody,

I am finally ready to start my PR application through the PhD stream and I was wondering whether I could get some clarification on the work experience requirements. I've been in Canada for 10 years on a student visa (BSc & MSc in Toronto, and now 2 years into my PhD at McGill).

I searched the thread, but I am still unclear as to whether the research I do as a PhD student counts towards my work experience. I mean, I don't get an hourly wage for it. Just a fixed yearly stipend. And at McGill, I don't even pay any taxes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Devesh

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
dev236 said:
I am finally ready to start my PR application through the PhD stream and I was wondering whether I could get some clarification on the work experience requirements. I've been in Canada for 10 years on a student visa (BSc & MSc in Toronto, and now 2 years into my PhD at McGill).

I searched the thread, but I am still unclear as to whether the research I do as a PhD student counts towards my work experience. I mean, I don't get an hourly wage for it. Just a fixed yearly stipend. And at McGill, I don't even pay any taxes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the thread!

It counts as long as you can get a work experience reference letter, signed by your adviser or graduate secretary, stating that you were assisting faculty member's research. The fact that you don't pay taxes, or that you are getting a scholarship does not matter. You don't even have to submit your T4 and T4A slips with the application---strong reference letter is quite enough. You can find examples of successful letters of reference in my signature.

There is one point you should be aware of though. Since you are in Quebec, you will have to prove that you do not intend to reside in that province after getting your PR. And it is hard to prove it when you are half-way-through your PhD. You can read posts of the forum member "Stuck in Quebec" or maybe even contact him/her to get a better idea of the procedure for applicants from Quebec.

dev236

Jun 24, 2011
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Maybe the fact that I spent 8 years in Toronto before moving to Montreal will help. I dunno. Will contact "Stuck in Quebec"

superstring

Dec 9, 2012
Hi Everybody,

A quick question. Is RBC GICs(Guaranteed Investment Certificates) a good Proof of Funds for PhD stream? And from your personal experience, is there any difference between Redeemable GICs and Non-Redeemable GICs in term of PR application? Obviously Non-Redeemable GICs have a lower liquidity than Redeemable GICs. Will CIC consider the liquidity of your assets? GICs have a higher liquidity than real estates, but lower than funds in deposit accounts. Thank you very much.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
superstring said:
A quick question. Is RBC GICs(Guaranteed Investment Certificates) a good Proof of Funds for PhD stream? And from your personal experience, is there any difference between Redeemable GICs and Non-Redeemable GICs in term of PR application? Obviously Non-Redeemable GICs have a lower liquidity than Redeemable GICs. Will CIC consider the liquidity of your assets? GICs have a higher liquidity than real estates, but lower than funds in deposit accounts. Thank you very much.
I think investments are not acceptable as a proof of funds because you cannot get a hold of those money easily. Somebody was rejected (or near-rejected) in this thread because of relying on investment funds. I am not sure about the particular investment you asked about, but maybe somebody else can comment on that.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
superstring said:
Hi Everybody,

The funds in investment account will not consider as transferable funds, I know personally a member who was rejected exactly for this reason, one of his investment account had around 3000 dollars, Immigration had deducted this amount from his total amount (he showed) and found him economically not sound to be settle in Canada. So, plz don't take any risk. But if you already had some significant amount of money previously in some of ur investment account I suggest you better to switch them into your savings or Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA), then you can submit your proof of funds, don't need to wait for six months. In that case you definitely show the records of all of ur transaction to make urself clear to them. You also can add a cover letter and explain them. Good Luck