Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
pari_p said:
Hello everyone,

I am freshly rejected applicant from CEC (Canadian Experience Class), I will be eligible in PhD Stream in May 2014 and I look forward to get help and support from all you experienced people.

Thanks,
Pari
Hi Pari, sorry for ur rejection, nd welcome to the forum, we will do our best to help u out but at the same time plz find some time to go through first few pages. Unfortunately there is only one thread but ppl discussed a lot of issue in that and repetitively. So if you read at first 100 pages u will get lot of helpful information. The most important thing here I found submitting a right reference letter to count ur work experience. And if u r claiming the work experience only RA/TA its bit tricky u have to be very specific in wording, plz follow Kg.jadu's link (in his signature) where u can find a format of reference letter which was already succeed. Good luck.

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kaziahmmed said:
Hi Pari, sorry for ur rejection, nd welcome to the forum, we will do our best to help u out but at the same time plz find some time to go through first few pages. Unfortunately there is only one thread but ppl discussed a lot of issue in that and repetitively. So if you read at first 100 pages u will get lot of helpful information. The most important thing here I found submitting a right reference letter to count ur work experience. And if u r claiming the work experience only RA/TA its bit tricky u have to be very specific in wording, plz follow Kg.jadu's link (in his signature) where u can find a format of reference letter which was already succeed. Good luck.

Thank you very much. Since I did my undergrad, masters here and now pursuing PhD, I only have TA/RA experience to use.

I have a quick question: They say it has to be 1 year full time work, can I use the TA hours I worked while in my undergrad? I work from Sept 2009-April 2010, thn had break of 4 months before I started my masters (i.e. TA/RA work again).

Thanks for the tip I will go through the pages now!

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
pari_p said:
Thank you very much. Since I did my undergrad, masters here and now pursuing PhD, I only have TA/RA experience to use.

I have a quick question: They say it has to be 1 year full time work, can I use the TA hours I worked while in my undergrad? I work from Sept 2009-April 2010, thn had break of 4 months before I started my masters (i.e. TA/RA work again).

Thanks for the tip I will go through the pages now!
TA/RA work is actually part time work, I mean not really covers 35hrs/week. And if u want to show ur part time work as your work experience it has to be continuous and eventually it has to be equivalent to one year. I remember I also included my TA exp. which i had in my masters but they didn't consider that.

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kaziahmmed said:
TA/RA work is actually part time work, I mean not really covers 35hrs/week. And if u want to show ur part time work as your work experience it has to be continuous and eventually it has to be equivalent to one year. I remember I also included my TA exp. which i had in my masters but they didn't consider that.
oh ok! I will have 4 yrs of TA hours (280 hours per year) and RA hours ( 760 hours per year) by the time I am eligible, so I guess I don't have to worry about number of hours as long as they consider the TA and RA as work. I did not take break between Masters and PhD.

I was rejected in CEC as they did not consider RA/TA as work since I am pursuing PhD and RA/TA is part of it :mad: :'(

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
pari_p said:
I was rejected in CEC as they did not consider RA/TA as work since I am pursuing PhD and RA/TA is part of it :mad: :'(
Sorry about that. Yet another example how quickly the rules change. I personally know a person who applied under CEC with the RA/TA experience from M.Sc. and got his PR very quickly. But that was last year; this year they seem to be very strict.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
kg.jadu said:
Sorry about that. Yet another example how quickly the rules change. I personally know a person who applied under CEC with the RA/TA experience from M.Sc. and got his PR very quickly. But that was last year; this year they seem to be very strict.
RA/TA is not considered as valid work for CEC anymore since last year guys. Still good for our stream :)

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GrTak said:
Thanks a lot Kaziahmmed! I followed the link. Under Client ID, do I need to put the UCI that they sent to me. Also, it says there is a dash between the 8 digits. What's that supposed to mean? How long does it take for them to send the notes? Thanks again for your help!
The Client ID is the UCI that you can find it on your study permit. It is a 8 digit number with a dash(xxxx-xxxx).

GrTak said:
Why's Ottawa quiet these days? Haven't June and July (2012) applicants heard back from Ottawa after sending their POF? All this wait is suffocating me to be honest! :(
They are on strike. That is why June applicants have not heard anything!

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
TyrusX said:
RA/TA is not considered as valid work for CEC anymore since last year guys. Still good for our stream :)
Yeah, my acquaintance was just lucky to slip through right before the CEC has been changed. Also impressive how fast did he get it---the whole process took 4 months or so.

erfan1985

Feb 10, 2013
kg.jadu said:
It counts as long as you can get a work experience reference letter, signed by your adviser or graduate secretary, stating that you were assisting faculty member's research. The fact that you don't pay taxes, or that you are getting a scholarship does not matter. ---strong reference letter is quite enough.

Are you sure about this? In that case all PhD student would be illegible as they are all doing research and assisting faculties. Wouldn't they distinguish TA/RA from regular student activities toward research and thesis? And what should be written about the salary? Wouldn't it be problematic if they bring the name of scholarship? And How many hours a week would that be? We are all working full time for school!

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
erfan1985:

erfan1985 said:
Are you sure about this? In that case all PhD student would be illegible as they are all doing research and assisting faculties. Wouldn't they distinguish TA/RA from regular student activities toward research and thesis? And what should be written about the salary? Wouldn't it be problematic if they bring the name of scholarship? And How many hours a week would that be? We are all working full time for school!
Some time ago I wrote two posts in this thread (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.0.html;msg2181904#msg2181904 and http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.0.html;msg2446968#msg2446968) which might answer some of your questions. All of us do research that counts towards our PhD, but also becomes a part of our adviser's portfolio, and from this prospective what we do is valid RA. As to where is that "divide", it's hard to say---I think it is up to you and your adviser to decide. Usually people here claim <20 hours per week.

Also, I am not sure if this is what you were asking but to qualify under NOC 4012 as a "Post-secondary teaching and research assistant" you have to prove that you were doing research and assisting a faculty memner. If you don't show it, they will refuse your application as lacking work experience.

As for the source of income, it does not matter if it is taxable or non-taxable---I think it was asbereth who pointed out that the definition of employment does not require that your salary be taxable. From this prospective, scholarships are a valid source of income.

Hope that helps.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
TyrusX said:
Welcome back Tyrusx, its always great to see the old fellows, we r still in the prison with poisoned oxygen :(. Seems like Immigration officers just hide themselves in absolute black hole after May. No movement at all, only whoever got their medical before this stupid strike their file is processing, although in turtles motion.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
kaziahmmed said:
Welcome back Tyrusx, its always great to see the old fellows, we r still in the prison with poisoned oxygen :(. Seems like Immigration officers just hide themselves in absolute black hole after May. No movement at all, only whoever got their medical before this stupid strike their file is processing, although in turtles motion.
I'm still around, I just had a terrible terrible summer and I am too busy to participate more actively. I haven't gotten my PR card yet and it's been more than 80 days since I landed.

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum. Have applied for PR under PhD stream. Here are my details. Please add me to the tracker

Category........: FSW
Visa Office......: CPP - Ottawa
Application reached Sydney.......: Feb 11/2013
PER received: Mar 03/2013
Currently in process

Experience: only TA/RA
Number of Persons in application: 2
Nationality: India

Proactively sent POF, PCC, updated reference letter

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
dapin84 said:
I received my GCMS notes today, they haven't touched my file since it was sent to Ottawa. They gave me 68 points in the first assessment but they haven't counted any of my adaptability points (I have family in Canada and my wife has a master's degree). So my question is: In the first step do they just calculate the points until you have the minimum and then send it to Ottawa who does a detailed examination?

Should I e-mail them asking to grant me points for my family in Canada and my wife's masters (all the documentation was sent)?

Does any one know why they haven't requested documents in a very long time (as it can be seen in the spread sheet)
I got my GCMS notes last week and I have the same thing...file has not been checked since it reached Ottawa and have been given 68 points by sydney....they did not give any points for my wife's education...had sent all the documentation...exactly as your case

I am guessing they just make sure it is above 67...then final update is carried out by people in Ottawa.