+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Your PR application is taking too long? READ THIS! Find out why. Make it go faster!

TommySan

Aug 18, 2017
Ontario
Applied on Jan. 27, 2017 with outland spouse. Passed medical, paid all the fees, never got ADR.
None of us had criminal record, served in the military, or overstayed visas. We were not involved in any human rights violations. Never traveled to countries that could be considered high-risk by the Canadian government, such as Syria, Afganistan, Iran etc. We are citizens of Ukraine.
The only thing I can think of is that my spouse had several visa refusals by CIC. When I asked them if that is the issue, they said they don't know. I have always received all Canadian visas, work and study permits that I applied for. I have been in Canada 8 years.
I feel like CIC just forgot about me.
Hi.
Just playing the devil's advocate here and trying to find issues on your profile. It seems like the problem may be in the relationship. But I'll ask about all possibilities.

1)So you have been in Canada for 8 years now and you are still not a PR. Why? Usually one would get enough English and points to get the PR through EE, or at least a nomination.

2)If you have been in Canada for 8 years, where have your spouse been during this time? Is he/she here now?

3)Having prior refusal IS a possible cause for the delay. If you had a real relationship before the refusal and he/she wanted to visit you, that is very uncommon, as even OWPs are issued because they cannot separate families. If so, it must be a very strong reason. But if he/she later got a visa, then it should be alright as the prior refusals won't matter much.

4)If you didn't declare to be married when coming for the first time to Canada, that could be an issue. If you stayed 8 years apart, and now want to reunite, that could be seen as marriage for convenience bc 8 years apart is too much. Or... if you were not married, but in a relationship, and you came for whatever reason, while later your spouse tried to come but got refused, and then you applied as a couple, that could be seen as a marriage for convenience as well. They will investigate to see if the spouse is trying to piggyback on you, because he/she could not get a visa by other means. But if you are definitely eligible, the marriage is real and you can prove it (Facebook or family photos older than 8 years), the spouse will get approved with you. It is possible to stay 8 years apart, and if you were in a distant relationship, you can still back your claim with communications (email, phone logs, letters with stamps), trips and photos from visits, and so on and it could work.

I'm not assuming the marriage is not real, I am just trying to cover all options. A year or two ago, they refused a couple for being just 2 years apart and because the woman was much older than the man, and the refusal said that this is not common in the culture in question. CIC was accused of racism and the couple is suing. CIC answered saying they did not provide the additional docs in time to satisfy that they were in a relationship. I never saw the resolution for that case.

Because marriage for convenience became a business for some people, CIC is going hard on these people. If you read along some threads here, you will probably notice one or two once in a while.

And finally, Ukraine is a country with good diplomatic relations with Canada. No issues there.

Last edited:
Reactions: balongskija

Jag9315

Star Member
Feb 1, 2018
Where is u r visa process office ? and from where u applied ?
First my primary office was —cpc ottawa and secondary office was centralized intake office After 1 year they change my primary office to centralized intake office. And secondary office is — cpc vegerville ... im ouland from india .... i do have a arranged employment but still nothing happening ;;;;;;

davidfore

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hi, I have question for you tommysan,

Do you know if they (IRCC) has deadline on each case to be completed after 19 month is passed? or application just sits there for awhile? :)

TommySan

Aug 18, 2017
Ontario
Hi, I have question for you tommysan,

Do you know if they (IRCC) has deadline on each case to be completed after 19 month is passed? or application just sits there for awhile? :)
The timeline is a target, not a deadline, and if it is over that time, you can contact them.
But for exceptions, it sits there as the cases mentioned here (26 months sometimes more).

But good news, for us the timeline is ok. Four years ago ago I met a person from Iran who said it took 3.5 years for him to get his PR. And he said that it was normal, that he knew Outlanders waiting for up to 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidfore

TommySan

Aug 18, 2017
Ontario
First my primary office was —cpc ottawa and secondary office was centralized intake office After 1 year they change my primary office to centralized intake office. And secondary office is — cpc vegerville ... im ouland from india .... i do have a arranged employment but still nothing happening ;;;;;;
Aren't you inland? You applied from Canada, right? Sent it on paper to CIO Sydney, and so on?

mrHuiChen

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
I added my spouse 1 day after my PPR, then my PPR was taken back.
And we were actually just common-law partners. We lived together for more than 12 months, so I did that. Until today I still don't understand if it's "WE MUST" or "WE CAN" declare common-law relationships after 12 months living together.

Anyhow that's not important any more, because we are now waiting for our PRs together. I added her Aug 2017. Her medical was done Sep 2017. Then this year in August 2018, my MP contact told me that our files are now sent to Etobicoke office. And in Sep 2018, I was requested to redo medical. Many people say that's an obvious sign for landing interview soon, though no one can promise that. So what am I supposed to do now, or what options do I have? My work permit expires in 20 days though I just applied for a new one but it's gonna be 1-2 months before i get that. There will be a gap though it's "implied status", we can work, but without OHIP.

mrHuiChen

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
To people in this thread that are eligible for Express Entry, what is stopping you from ditching PNP?
For me personally, I applied to PNP very soon after my graduation from grad school. When I am eligible for EE, it's already at least a year after graduation. In that case it's theoretically same waiting for PNP or EE as it's gonna be another half year anyway, and you don't need to redo ielts and all that, to save some money. YOU WOULDN'T KNOW THAT YOUR PNP DOESNT COME IN TIME!

Reactions: TommySan

SAO

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Hi TommySan,

Your info is been so helpful so far, I have a question if you or anyone else might have any idea what is going on with my application.
I applied on Oct. 2017, AOR Dec. 28, 2017, I ordered twice my GCMS notes. First time on May and second one on Sept. I haven't passed anything so far and no MR yet. Everything is the same from my first to second GCMS.
Eligibility: Not Started
Security: Not Started
Criminality: In Progress
Medical: Not Started
Info Sharing: In Progress
Just only difference my file has been transfer from office to office, it was at Centralized Intake Office and then on May transfer to Vancouver for eligibility and again on July was transfer to Etobicoke reason TFR-Workoad (re)-distribution. Since July 31 no updates or anything just the transfers, also no additional docs request by anyone.
I am aware that every single case is different and am still into processing time but am anxious about this situation and afraid that my file get stuck somewhere or future delays somehow.

TommySan

Aug 18, 2017
Ontario
To people in this thread that are eligible for Express Entry, what is stopping you from ditching PNP?
I can speak for myself: No points through EE. Had to work for +1 year to get them, so, assuming things will go alright (mine is not late), it was down to a matter of patience (and not dumping $1500). The 2 year wp support letter issued by the province was a good backup plan.

TommySan

Aug 18, 2017
Ontario
I added my spouse 1 day after my PPR, then my PPR was taken back.
And we were actually just common-law partners. We lived together for more than 12 months, so I did that. Until today I still don't understand if it's "WE MUST" or "WE CAN" declare common-law relationships after 12 months living together.

Anyhow that's not important any more, because we are now waiting for our PRs together. I added her Aug 2017. Her medical was done Sep 2017. Then this year in August 2018, my MP contact told me that our files are now sent to Etobicoke office. And in Sep 2018, I was requested to redo medical. Many people say that's an obvious sign for landing interview soon, though no one can promise that. So what am I supposed to do now, or what options do I have? My work permit expires in 20 days though I just applied for a new one but it's gonna be 1-2 months before i get that. There will be a gap though it's "implied status", we can work, but without OHIP.
Hi. Maybe you could request a new WP support letter from the province. I didn't use mine in the 6 months, so it expired. I requested a new one, and it came in 7 days (ON). I was surprised by how fast it came.

Otherwise, if it is your case, you can apply for PGWP and get it for a period = to your studies.

Last edited:

TommySan

Aug 18, 2017
Ontario
Hi TommySan,

Your info is been so helpful so far, I have a question if you or anyone else might have any idea what is going on with my application.
I applied on Oct. 2017, AOR Dec. 28, 2017, I ordered twice my GCMS notes. First time on May and second one on Sept. I haven't passed anything so far and no MR yet. Everything is the same from my first to second GCMS.
Eligibility: Not Started
Security: Not Started
Criminality: In Progress
Medical: Not Started
Info Sharing: In Progress
Just only difference my file has been transfer from office to office, it was at Centralized Intake Office and then on May transfer to Vancouver for eligibility and again on July was transfer to Etobicoke reason TFR-Workoad (re)-distribution. Since July 31 no updates or anything just the transfers, also no additional docs request by anyone.
I am aware that every single case is different and am still into processing time but am anxious about this situation and afraid that my file get stuck somewhere or future delays somehow.
You application is not over the processing time, barely made 12 months, so there is nothing to worry (unless you are EE).
Generally, if it takes too long it is because the applicant hid something (or worse), or messed up the documents somehow, and the applicant reading the topic knows if he/she was just confused with the application or something else.
Today, for instance, someone messaged me asking until when Outland applicants need to have the funds requested. If they don't own the money and misrepresented it in their application, more than ruining their application, their success in Canada may be severely compromised. Newcomers must pay first and last month rental (2-4 k), find a job and survive with that money. It is not just a document. And in case the application in this case gets delayed, they can know with a very good degree of certainty that the funds could be the case.