+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working eligibility

Riman

Jul 18, 2019
Hello, hope you are doing good I have a question regarding work eligibility that I am on Academic suspension and I am taking university preparatory course and my enrolment letter says that I am a full time student so can I work legally or not. I am enrolled in a college during this suspension and a full time student

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
You and your employer must make sure you can work off campus without a work permit before you start working. If you start working off campus but don’t meet the requirements, you may have to leave Canada.
You can only start working in Canada when your study program has started. You can’t work before you start your studies.
If you’re able to work during your studies, it’ll say so in the conditions on your study permit.

Eligibility requirements
You can work off campus without a work permit if you meet all of these requirements:

• you’re a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • you’re enrolled in
    • a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program or
    • a secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only)
  • your study program
    • is at least 6 months long and
    • leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • you’ve started studying
  • you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
If you’re a part-time student
You can work off campus only if:

• you meet all of the requirements above and
  • you’re only studying part-time, instead of full-time, because:
    • you’re in the last semester of your study program and you don’t need a full course load to complete your program and
    • you were a full-time student in your program in Canada, up until your last semester
If you’re on an authorized leave
If you’re on an authorized leave from your studies, or you’re switching schools and you’re not studying, you can’t work off campus. You can only return to work once you’re back to studying.
What counts as an authorized leave from your studies?
There are a few cases where you may be able to take a leave of up to a maximum of 150 days from your program of studies and still be considered to be actively pursuing your studies.
You don’t need to tell us if you’re taking an authorized leave, but you do need to provide proof that your leave is authorized and that it’s no longer than 150 days, if we ask for it.
It counts as authorized leave if:

• your school has authorized a leave from your study program for:
    • medical reasons or pregnancy
    • family emergency
    • death or serious illness of a family member
    • any other type of leave your school authorizes
  • your school has closed permanently or because of a strike
  • you’ve changed schools
  • you or your school deferred your program start date
    • In this case, you must start your studies the next semester, even if it starts sooner than 150 days, and get an updated letter of acceptance.
How many hours you can work off campus
During regular school terms/semesters

You can work up to 20 hours per week.

During scheduled breaks in the school year
You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours.
You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time.
You can’t work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester.

YASASWI GOMES

Jun 14, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Vijayawada
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
15-09-2018
Doc's Request.
15-09-2018
What ever holiday jobs are allotted to you, you must be qualifying if jobs are there. Ppl say 20 hrs work, but I heard, laws are applicable that it is possible on Christmas and summer holidays only. Go to nearest visa office and ask.