+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for asylum seekers

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
Thank you. my IRCC online portal says, "You passed the medical exam." So I'm not getting my work permit until the second interview?
On IRCC website saying since IRCC has a backlog they do medical and Biometric first and then work permit and later interview.
Unfortunately yes, once your eligibility is done that when the start processing the work permit. Even at the eligibility they tell you to count 3 weeks from the eligibility to receive the work permit so that means they process the work permit once they have referred your case to irb.

Just curious where did you apply at?

chan2023

Jan 26, 2023
Unfortunately yes, once your eligibility is done that when the start processing the work permit. Even at the eligibility they tell you to count 3 weeks from the eligibility to receive the work permit so that means they process the work permit once they have referred your case to irb.

Just curious where did you apply at?
I have applied online from New Brunswick. I have a family with two children and obtaining a working right is crucial for me as I do not get any social support. Please refer to the following link. The government of Canada is trying their best to get refuge clamant to work so they can feed their families.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/refugee-work-permits.html

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
I have applied online from New Brunswick. I have a family with two children and obtaining a working right is crucial for me as I do not get any social support. Please refer to the following link. The government of Canada is trying their best to get refuge clamant to work so they can feed their families.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/refugee-work-permits.html
i understand your frustrations maybe you can seek social assistant based on the delay of your work permit. Am sharing my exprience based on the same timelines as yours and that how my process went here in Vancouver.

chan2023

Jan 26, 2023
Thank you for your encouraging words. I talked to a settlement agency, but they are asking about my status, so without that, they cannot help us. It is just looping things we have no refuge status as we are just clamant waiting for outcomes.
Unfortunately, there is no one to tell this issue.

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
Thank you for your encouraging words. I talked to a settlement agency, but they are asking about my status, so without that, they cannot help us. It is just looping things we have no refuge status as we are just clamant waiting for outcomes.
Unfortunately, there is no one to tell this issue.
no you talk to ministry of social(will confirm the rest of the wording) i know a friend with similar timelines that has to repeat their medical specifically in April as directed by ircc because he cant get hes work permit he applied for social assistant and it was just approved for assistance. so yes you are eligible for assistance.
You can aslo register your name for food bank so that you get food assistance especially with kids.

Mooremai

Jan 22, 2023
Hi all, I applied in early November 2022 and then completed a medical exam for my entire family then we were called for an eligibility interview and biometric, but we only gave biometric, not the interview, as we were told by the officer that day is only for biometric as the interview will be conducted later. They do this too fast track and give work permits for claiming to obtain some work and then can support them and their family while waiting for the IRB hearing etc...

I'm still waiting for my work permit as I completed the biometric and medical more than a month ago. I uploaded a web form, booked a call, and talked to an IRCC agent over the phone but still no update.

Please kindly advise if anyone has a similar experience. Only biometrics, no eligibility interviews?
Hi
The interview comes first then a month after you get the work permit. If your lucky you may get it before. If a month pass, write the Case processing center Edmonton expressing your hardship n need for the permit

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
Hi
The interview comes first then a month after you get the work permit. If your lucky you may get it before. If a month pass, write the Case processing center Edmonton expressing your hardship n need for the permit
is Edmonton case processing center for all provinces or just the western side?

chan2023

Jan 26, 2023
no you talk to ministry of social(will confirm the rest of the wording) i know a friend with similar timelines that has to repeat their medical specifically in April as directed by ircc because he cant get hes work permit he applied for social assistant and it was just approved for assistance. so yes you are eligible for assistance.
You can aslo register your name for food bank so that you get food assistance especially with kids.
Thank you with much appreciation. I will search for Social assistance.
As I mentioned, I went for an eligibility interview and Biometrics. Still, they only got biometrics and said the eligibility interview would take time, so once the medical and Biometric are done, they will send a Work permit by post. However, now it is close to two months. I even ticked section 12 on the claim form, I requested a work permit for my wife and me. We will see. Did you read the link I sent? It says the same things about the fast track of the work permit right after medical and Biometrics.

chan2023

Jan 26, 2023
Hi
Thank you. I did manage to call on general IRCC number and talked with an agent, she said she would make a request. Then I did upload a web form as well saying my difficulty as I'm not on any social assistance. I applied my clam via IRCC portal

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
As I mentioned, I went for an eligibility interview and Biometrics. Still, they only got biometrics and said the eligibility interview would take time, so once the medical and Biometric are done, they will send a Work permit by post. However, now it is close to two months. I even ticked section 12 on the claim form, I requested a work permit for my wife and me. We will see. Did you read the link I sent? It says the same things about the fast track of the work permit right after medical and Biometrics.
i read it but it says "This Temporary Public Policy exempts refugee claimants who made their claim in Canada since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic" which your not part of so that public policy doesnt apply to you assuming that you landed in October 2022

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
"To obtain a work permit under this public policy claimants must be determined eligible for referral to the RPD" it aslo says this so you have to go through elibility then once referred then the work permit follows

chan2023

Jan 26, 2023
"To obtain a work permit under this public policy claimants must be determined eligible for referral to the RPD" it aslo says this so you have to go through elibility then once referred then the work permit follows
Thank you. So waiting is the only solution at this stage. now it is 1.5 months pass since my biometrics were completed.
Thank you once again.

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
Thank you. So waiting is the only solution at this stage. now it is 1.5 months pass since my biometrics were completed.
Thank you once again.
Just write to them as much as you can and get through the phone to them it shouldn't take that long to do the eligibility.

DamnYouDaria

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Yukon
Category........
Other
When did you do your immigration medical and submit your BOC? When I made my claim, that's when the processing time started for my work permit.

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
Thank you once again.
[
Thank you once again.
CALL MINISTRY OF SOCIAL AFFAIRS FOR THE SOCIAL ASSISTANCE 1866 866 0800 THATS THE NUMBER MY FRIEND CALLED AND GOT THE ASSITANCE