+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension for spouse of post graduate work permit holder

agak

Aug 7, 2019
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the OWP for a spouse. I have applied for my PGWP on May 23, till today no news. I know that processing times are now very long, my partner's current open work permit expires on August 30, 2019. I am currently working in NOC B and will have 3 paystubs by August 21. However, my question is what should we do if I don't get a decision regarding my PGWP before the expiry date of my partner's PGWP. Is there any other solution than him changing his status to visitor until I get my PGWP. I am asking as that would mean he would have to cease working which will be less than ideal in our current situation.

Thank a lot for your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the OWP for a spouse. I have applied for my PGWP on May 23, till today no news. I know that processing times are now very long, my partner's current open work permit expires on August 30, 2019. I am currently working in NOC B and will have 3 paystubs by August 21. However, my question is what should we do if I don't get a decision regarding my PGWP before the expiry date of my partner's PGWP. Is there any other solution than him changing his status to visitor until I get my PGWP. I am asking as that would mean he would have to cease working which will be less than ideal in our current situation.

Thank a lot for your help.
Apply for your spouse's OWP with a letter of explanation.

Reactions: ruyit

korucu

Jun 24, 2019
Hi @canuck_in_uk,

Looks like you are the one who can summaries this issue for me to be sure. I would appreciate if you can help:
So I have PGWP, to get my wife OWP, I need to be:

1- Working in a skilled job (NOC 0,A or B)
2- Doesn't matter if the work is full time or part-time? Any specifications in here?
3- 3 paystubs= what if you get paid biweekly. Then I just need to be working for 1.5 months right?

Thanks again for your time.

Reactions: werner

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi @canuck_in_uk,

Looks like you are the one who can summaries this issue for me to be sure. I would appreciate if you can help:
So I have PGWP, to get my wife OWP, I need to be:

1- Working in a skilled job (NOC 0,A or B)
2- Doesn't matter if the work is full time or part-time? Any specifications in here?
3- 3 paystubs= what if you get paid biweekly. Then I just need to be working for 1.5 months right?

Thanks again for your time.
1. Yes.
2. Doesn't matter.
3. Yes, 3 paystubs.

Reactions: werner

Daronscosco

Aug 19, 2019
Hi @canuck_in_uk,

My case is quite different from other issues.

I am currently working in Canada with a open work permit and my spouse just received a spousal visa to come and work in canada till 01/11/2020
My Permit expires in 01/11/2020. We have applied for PR last month. I am planning to apply for a BGWP before my permit expires. But my spouse will only be able to come into Canada in December this year about 12 days to the expiration of her Visa and we will be coming together.

My questions are this:

1. Will her work permit be given till 01/11/2020 as well,? and if so can she apply to extend her work permit even if i have not received my BGWP.

2. Hope there wont be any issue for her coming to canada around that time , looking that her visa expires in 2 weeks or less.

3. If i am to apply for my bridge work permit now , can i apply to extend her own likewise despite she is not yet in Canada.

Will really appreciate your responses

Last edited:

gagan24

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Hi
I was on sowp and my wife was on study permit . We applied together for her PGWP and my sowp but they refused my application n my wife got her PGWP now I
M on restoration period so can I go to border to apply for restoration and sowp ?
Thank you
have you attached your spouse's job offer letter or empoyement letter in your file?and why thy refused?

sushantg

Oct 11, 2016
Hi All,

I am going to be graduated anytime between Aug to Dec 2018. And then will apply for PGWP. My spouse has got OWP and currently working.Her work permit is valid until Sep 2019. If I graduate this year, will she be eligible to continue her work until her work permit expires? Kindly revert.
Hi CHiru,
I just have another question, I am in the same situation like you and my wife is on SOWP ( We applied for her SOWP when I was a student) and she wants to travel outside of Canada ( In India) in January 2020 for ehr brother wedding while her SOWP is valid (AUG 2020 is her work permit expiry date). I recently got my PGWP and I am not sure whether she can travel outside of Canada, because we didnt apply for her extension when I applied for PGWP. I am little bit unsure about whole situation, can you or anybody please help me? Thanks

gagan24

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
have you attached your spouse's job offer letter or empoyement letter in your file?and why thy refused?
finally, me and my spouse got wp approvals.I have applied with conditional job letter and I have uploaded my pay stubs later in the file.And, we have applied together.AND JUST NOW WE GOT APPROVAL FOE 3 YEAR WP..
BEST WISHES TO ALL....

deeps2019

Oct 23, 2019
i am on my pgwp, my husband was working in canada with closed work permit . but unfortunately the project got over so we decided to quit job and applied for spousal work permit on July 1, its been four months and no updates yet . we got our invitation and have also applied for PR and its on process .
i have submitted my job offer with pay stub and also the PR application process letter. i am really worried about the work permit . he is getting lots of interviews but could not go through it because of the open work permit issue .

can anyone tell me:

1. if there is anyway this can get rejected ? since we have applied for PR
2. anyone with July 1 applicant who got it approved recently?
3. when can we expect a response and any recent update today who got approved?

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
i am on my pgwp, my husband was working in canada with closed work permit . but unfortunately the project got over so we decided to quit job and applied for spousal work permit on July 1, its been four months and no updates yet . we got our invitation and have also applied for PR and its on process .
i have submitted my job offer with pay stub and also the PR application process letter. i am really worried about the work permit . he is getting lots of interviews but could not go through it because of the open work permit issue .

can anyone tell me:

1. if there is anyway this can get rejected ? since we have applied for PR
2. anyone with July 1 applicant who got it approved recently?
3. when can we expect a response and any recent update today who got approved?

Thank you!
1. Any permit can always be rejected. Applying for PR is not a reason for rejection.

2. Work permits are delayed right now.

3. No one can answer when you will get a response.

Reactions: deeps2019

orion06

Oct 29, 2019
AOR Received.
04-04-2021
We have applied PGWP for me and SOWP for my wife on 6th of July. My PGWP is approved today, but my wife's application is refused with the reason below:
You have not provided sufficient evidence to prove that your spouse is employed in an occupation that falls within the National Occupation Classification Skill level of 0, A or B.
You may be eligible to re-apply for a work permit if you are able to provide proof that your spouse is a skilled worker in Canada, which may include a letter from your spouse’s employer, stating his/her job title, duties, and salary.
If you cannot prove that your spouse is in a skilled occupation, your application for a work permit cannot be approved without a Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada.
[X] We also wish to advise you that your temporary resident status expired on October 28, 2019.
You may apply for restoration if, within 90 days from the expiry of your temporary resident status, you submit:  a completed application form;  applicable fees for restoration and for the immigration document(s). Payments should be made online at www.cic.gc.ca. When you are finished, you must print the receipt of payment and include it with your application.  all required documents in support of your application.
I am working as a software developer(NOC A) since July, I have already attached 3 paystubs but not the letter from my company, it didn't work.
I think there is no way to modify her refused application so we need to re-apply for open-work permit. Do we also need to apply restoration for my wife?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We have applied PGWP for me and SOWP for my wife on 6th of July. My PGWP is approved today, but my wife's application is refused with the reason below:

I am working as a software developer(NOC A) since July, I have already attached 3 paystubs but not the letter from my company, it didn't work.
I think there is no way to modify her refused application so we need to re-apply for open-work permit. Do we also need to apply restoration for my wife?
Yes, she needs to apply for Restoration.

Reactions: orion06