+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension for spouse of post graduate work permit holder

Rshmi

Feb 8, 2017
I accompanied my husband 2 years ago. He was on a study permit and I got a work permit being an accompanying spouse. Now after he graduated in December end we applied for PGWP for him and extension of my work permit. CIC gave him the work permit but rejected my extension. They wanted his employment proof/paystub. When we took the docs to the border to get the extension as my permit expires March end. ...short of time, the officer sent us back he needs 3 paystubso before he can even consider us! Any feedback on this from you all? Do you have any idea on the prerequisite? What are my options to stay here with my family? Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rshmi said:
I accompanied my husband 2 years ago. He was on a study permit and I got a work permit being an accompanying spouse. Now after he graduated in December end we applied for PGWP for him and extension of my work permit. CIC gave him the work permit but rejected my extension. They wanted his employment proof/paystub. When we took the docs to the border to get the extension as my permit expires March end. ...short of time, the officer sent us back he needs 3 paystubso before he can even consider us! Any feedback on this from you all? Do you have any idea on the prerequisite? What are my options to stay here with my family? Thanks
Did you even look at the requirements before applying?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

Spouses of open work permit holders

If the principal foreign worker is the holder of an open work permit (e.g., post-graduation work permit, working holiday work permit), Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) cannot assess the skill level based only on the open work permit, and the spouse or common-law partner applying for the C41 exemption will need to attach proof that the principal worker is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B.

The spousal applicant should submit all the supporting documents, including

a letter from the principal foreign worker’s current employer confirming employment or a copy of their employment offer or contract; and
a copy of the principal foreign worker’s last three pay slips.

If your husband doesn't have the required payslips, you need to apply to change your status to visitor before your current work permit expires.

Rshmi

Feb 8, 2017
Thank you for your reply. ....the page we saw said, they need the contract and job stub. Also in the letter of refusal they had asked only for letter of employment. ..no stubs. We acted accordingly. So there won't be a problem later to get a work permit on a visitor visa? Also this means I will have to quit my full time permanner job, right? Thanks once again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rshmi said:
Thank you for your reply. ....the page we saw said, they need the contract and job stub. Also in the letter of refusal they had asked only for letter of employment. ..no stubs. We acted accordingly. So there won't be a problem later to get a work permit on a visitor visa? Also this means I will have to quit my full time permanner job, right? Thanks once again.
Prior to your work permit expiring in March, you need to extend your status.

If your husband has the necessary payslips by that point, you can apply to extend your status as a worker and continue working on Implied Status after your current work permit expires.

If your husband doesn't have the payslips, you need to apply to change your status to visitor. You would need to stop working as soon as your current work permit expires.

Rshmi

Feb 8, 2017
Thanks for your advise!!! He will have his required paystubs before that and I will try again. Actually for the month of Jan he got 1 paystub which may be equivalent to 2and so we can wait for the feb 17 pay stub and apply. Is there any min requirement on the duration of the contract of employment? Just want to be sure not to miss on anything the second time! Thanks.

Rshmi

Feb 8, 2017
Also do you think that I should parallelly apply for change in status so that I can continue to stay here? How long does the government give to leave the country if I get denied again for the work permit and my change of visa status has not yet been approved?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There is no minimum duration of employment, just the 3 payslips.

The work permit should be granted without issue once you have the payslips. If you still don't have the work permit a few days before your status expires, apply to change your status to visitor.

mariels182

Feb 5, 2018
Hey everyone!

I have a question: can the last three pay slips be from two different companies but the same level of skills (NOC-B)? I might have the opportunity to change to my dream job but I'll be changing jobs just one month before my husband's open work permit expires. I applied for my PGWP but still waiting...

I don't know what to do! Hopefully I explained my case in a good way...

Thank you.

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi everyone,
I need some informations please response if you can help. My husnand's study permit and my OWP will be expired on october, 2018. We want to apply for his PGWP and my OWP extension in this July. He will be graduated for his MSc program in July or Aug. But the problem is it's tough and little bit short time period to get his job and pay slip in between July. I heard that if we couldn't be able show his full time job offer letter along with pay slip then I will get the rejection for my extension of OWP.
Now for this situation what will be good to get both approval?
should I need to apply for Visitor visa instead of OWP as long as he won't get any job offer letter and pay slip?
should we apply together or seperately if I'm gonna apply for Visitor for now before October?
Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to hear from you guys.

mariels182

Feb 5, 2018
Hi everyone,
I need some informations please response if you can help. My husnand's study permit and my OWP will be expired on october, 2018. We want to apply for his PGWP and my OWP extension in this July. He will be graduated for his MSc program in July or Aug. But the problem is it's tough and little bit short time period to get his job and pay slip in between July. I heard that if we couldn't be able show his full time job offer letter along with pay slip then I will get the rejection for my extension of OWP.
Now for this situation what will be good to get both approval?
should I need to apply for Visitor visa instead of OWP as long as he won't get any job offer letter and pay slip?
should we apply together or seperately if I'm gonna apply for Visitor for now before October?
Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to hear from you guys.
Hi Konok, did you get your answer for this somewhere else?
for what I've seen, you should extend the owp at least 30 days before the expiry date. I by that time, your husband doesn't have the 3 payslips you have to apply for visitor and then change to owp. I also read (I think it was on cic.gc.ca) that if you don't apply on those las 30 days you can apply later for a restoration of status or something like that. Just read about that. It might help you.
Also, you have to wait for your husbands pgwp to apply for your extension. You have to add a copy on your file.

I hope you were able to find an answer earlier or that this helps you!

Good luck.

PS. my pgwp (online) took one month to be approved.

mariels182

Feb 5, 2018
Hello everyone, I hope you all are well and that everything's working out for you.

I have a question and I hope someone can give me an answer.

We applied for my husband's sowp extension on March 3rd but I got a job offer (NOC B) with start date this March 26th.
Will this change of jobs jeopardize my husband's application?
Should I inform CIC?

We applied when the processing time was of 32 days. So hopefully we get it last week of March or first week of April.
When I applied for my pgwp the processing time was over 50 days and got it in 30...

Looking forward to your answers!

Good luck to all.

shekamalegill

Mar 18, 2018
Hello everyone, I hope you all are well and that everything's working out for you.

I have a question and I hope someone can give me an answer.

We applied for my husband's sowp extension on March 3rd but I got a job offer (NOC B) with start date this March 26th.
Will this change of jobs jeopardize my husband's application?
Should I inform CIC?

We applied when the processing time was of 32 days. So hopefully we get it last week of March or first week of April.
When I applied for my pgwp the processing time was over 50 days and got it in 30...

Looking forward to your answers!

Good luck to all.

shekamalegill

Mar 18, 2018
hi how are you
i just want to know did you got your husbands workpermit.
because i also applied on 17th of march now its almst 30 dyas.
can you please give me any update regarding processing time.
thank you.