+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension for spouse of post graduate work permit holder

jar_brz

Oct 30, 2019
Hello,
My wife is applying for PGWP and I am going to apply for the extension of my OWP.
She is working in the NOC 5125 Translators, terminologists and interpreters.
She has a "Term of engagement" not a regular contract.

This term describes that:
"This is to confirm our offer to add your name to our list of Freelance Interpreters and Translators", and
"You are an independent contractor and therefore responsible for your own income deductions and any insurance’s. No T4 slip will be issued and you are responsible for declaring any income received on your annual income tax return."

Is it a valid job offer to send with the pay stubs to apply for the spouse OWP?
Thanks

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,
My wife is applying for PGWP and I am going to apply for the extension of my OWP.

"This is to confirm our offer to add your name to our list of Freelance Interpreters and Translators", and
"You are an independent contractor and therefore responsible for your own income deductions and any insurance’s. No T4 slip will be issued and you are responsible for declaring any income received on your annual income tax return."

Thanks

1. As per the letter, you wife is not an employee, but self employed. So you are not eligible for a SOWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

Thanks
That is not a job offer, as she is considered self-employed.

ghost114

Nov 3, 2019
My friend who accompanied her husband 2 years ago. Her husband was on a study permit and she got a work permit + their son { 10 years old } got study permit as accompanying relatives. Now after he graduated , and he got pgwp , but his job is only at D level in NOC , so the question is , "" does my friend and her son have to leave canada ? or they can change status to visitor for her and extend study permit for thier son ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My friend who accompanied her husband 2 years ago. Her husband was on a study permit and she got a work permit + their son { 10 years old } got study permit as accompanying relatives. Now after he graduated , and he got pgwp , but his job is only at D level in NOC , so the question is , "" does my friend and her son have to leave canada ? or they can change status to visitor for her and extend study permit for thier son ?
She needs to change her status to visitor. The child's study permit can be extended.

ghost114

Nov 3, 2019
Google study permit extension.
Thank you , I read on cic.gc.ca
Minor children who are already in Canada accompanying a parent who is permitted to study or work may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.
tha's right ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you , I read on cic.gc.ca
Minor children who are already in Canada accompanying a parent who is permitted to study or work may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.
tha's right ?
Then they need to apply to change the child's status to visitor. Either way, the child's status must be extended. IRCC may refuse a change of status to visitor, as they know the child is here studying.

pgwp_1993

Nov 9, 2019
Hey all!

I'm on a Study Permit and have been working on a NOC position on a refugee shelter. It is not a Full Time nor a Part Time position. It is a relief position where the company shares the shifts available and you can choose how many shifts you will be getting on that month, so I can work from 8h to 40h per week depending on the company availability.
I work 16h per week, two shifts, so I don'd exceed the 20h/week limit.

I will start a 5 months weekend contract this month and after the 5 months I will be back to the relief position if they don't renew my part-time contract.

I'll graduate school in exactly 5 months. Is the relief position good enough to apply for my wife's SOWP? I know it is ok to apply with a part time position, but I'm not sure about the relief position, since hours are not certain.

If my position changes within the same company but both positions were a NOC position, can I send the three pay slips with a different position in one of them?

Appreciate your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey all!

I'm on a Study Permit and have been working on a NOC position on a refugee shelter. It is not a Full Time nor a Part Time position. It is a relief position where the company shares the shifts available and you can choose how many shifts you will be getting on that month, so I can work from 8h to 40h per week depending on the company availability.
I work 16h per week, two shifts, so I don'd exceed the 20h/week limit.

I will start a 5 months weekend contract this month and after the 5 months I will be back to the relief position if they don't renew my part-time contract.

I'll graduate school in exactly 5 months. Is the relief position good enough to apply for my wife's SOWP? I know it is ok to apply with a part time position, but I'm not sure about the relief position, since hours are not certain.

If my position changes within the same company but both positions were a NOC position, can I send the three pay slips with a different position in one of them?

Appreciate your help.
As long as you have a job letter specifying the responsibilities to show it is skilled and 3 payslips, it's fine.

Reactions: pgwp_1993

hoorzad1

Feb 25, 2018
Hello everyone,

I applied for PGWP together for my wife for SOP in July 14. My application approved but hers refused because I haven't submit my employment letter in NOC B and pay stubs (paid bi-weekly and so far working 6 month full time) . I do have them right now and I want to apply for another work permit for her, although, my current contract is until Dec 13, 2019. It's mentioned there is a possibility of extensions.

If I apply now with the current employment letter the application will process after Dec 13 for sure! Does the officer ask for a new employment letter or only look at the submission day the employment letter be valid?

I am not sure if my company give me a new contract so if officer asked for the new one later it would very tricky for me at that time.

Does anyone know about the employment letter date restrictions?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

embella 27

Dec 3, 2019
Hello everyone,
Can anyone help me with my query? I will be graduating in December, 2019. I will apply for my PGWP in last week of January, 2020. Currently I am working as a caregiver which does not fall under NOC 0, A and B but I got an offer for bakery helper in Safeway. Can anybody help me to know if this bakery helper is a skilled job as I tried to do understand this job category but I couldn't find it. Thank you

ruyit

Sep 18, 2019
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the OWP for a spouse. I have applied for my PGWP on May 23, till today no news. I know that processing times are now very long, my partner's current open work permit expires on August 30, 2019. I am currently working in NOC B and will have 3 paystubs by August 21. However, my question is what should we do if I don't get a decision regarding my PGWP before the expiry date of my partner's PGWP. Is there any other solution than him changing his status to visitor until I get my PGWP. I am asking as that would mean he would have to cease working which will be less than ideal in our current situation.

Thank a lot for your help.
Could you please let me know how it went?