+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expiring, OINP application in process

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello experts
I have submitted my OINP HCP application recently. The average processing time is 3 months. My PGWP is expiring in Jan 15, 2024. I am worried that my nomination wont come on time and i wont be able to apply for BOWP due to that. I have a few questions on this:
1. Do i need to apply for BOWP 30 days before my permit expire or i can even apply 1 day before PGWP expires? Is there a set time for this ?
2. how long do i have to leave Canada after my permit expires and during this time if i receive ITA, can i apply for BOWP?
3. I was also thinking of switching to closed work permit but i am not sure if i need LMIA for that? My NOC is 21232.
4. If i apply for visit visa, how long do i have to apply for it ? Can i apply for 1 day before my PGWP expires? Or maybe a few days after PGWP expires?
5. Are there any other options?

Any leads are appreciated

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello experts
I have submitted my OINP HCP application recently. The average processing time is 3 months. My PGWP is expiring in Jan 15, 2024. I am worried that my nomination wont come on time and i wont be able to apply for BOWP due to that. I have a few questions on this:
1. Do i need to apply for BOWP 30 days before my permit expire or i can even apply 1 day before PGWP expires? Is there a set time for this ?
2. how long do i have to leave Canada after my permit expires and during this time if i receive ITA, can i apply for BOWP?
3. I was also thinking of switching to closed work permit but i am not sure if i need LMIA for that? My NOC is 21232.
4. If i apply for visit visa, how long do i have to apply for it ? Can i apply for 1 day before my PGWP expires? Or maybe a few days after PGWP expires?
5. Are there any other options?

Any leads are appreciated

thank you
1. You can apply one day before.
2. I don't understand this question. Your PGWP needs to be valid to apply for a BOWP.
3. Your employer needs to get an approved LMIA.
4. You can apply one day before.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
1. You can apply one day before.
2. I don't understand this question. Your PGWP needs to be valid to apply for a BOWP.
3. Your employer needs to get an approved LMIA.
4. You can apply one day before.
Thank you for your reply.
Can i apply for BOWP if i am on visit visa ?
Also, can i not get closed work permit without LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply.
Can i apply for BOWP if i am on visit visa ?
Also, can i not get closed work permit without LMIA?
You need to be holding a valid work permit to apply for a BOWP. No, you cannot apply for a BOWP if on a visitor visa.

LMIA-exempt closed work permits are only issued for specific circumstances. Which of those circumstances do you meet?

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
You need to be holding a valid work permit to apply for a BOWP. No, you cannot apply for a BOWP if on a visitor visa.

LMIA-exempt closed work permits are only issued for specific circumstances. Which of those circumstances do you meet?
Thanks for the info.
What are those circumstances under which LMIA exempt work permit is issued? Is there a link where i can find more info?
Also, given my situation, what do you suggest to keep my work status legal if i don't get AOR before my work permit expiry? Can i apply for BOWP before AOR and upload it later once i receive it via web form?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the info.
What are those circumstances under which LMIA exempt work permit is issued? Is there a link where i can find more info?
Also, given my situation, what do you suggest to keep my work status legal if i don't get AOR before my work permit expiry? Can i apply for BOWP before AOR and upload it later once i receive it via web form?
You'll need to research the LMIA exemption circumstances on the IRCC website. If you're not sure if you are LMIA exempt, then you most likely aren't.

For the rest of your questions, they have been answered in your previous threads. Please review your previous posts and the answers you were given there.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
You'll need to research the LMIA exemption circumstances on the IRCC website. If you're not sure if you are LMIA exempt, then you most likely aren't.

For the rest of your questions, they have been answered in your previous threads. Please review your previous posts and the answers you were given there.
Thank you! Do you know the answer to this? Can i apply for BOWP before AOR and upload it later once i receive it via web form?

YumiMedina

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Hello, My friend received her OINP ITA recently and have sent in the application, but the dilemma is her PGWP is expiring in FEB 2024. The OINP takes about 2-4 months processing and her company already signed the employer form.
Q1: Is she still able to work past Feb 2024 with PGWP expired and waiting for OINP?
Q2: Can she apply now for BOWP even if her OINP is just in process?
Q3: If answer to to Q1 is no, does she have any other options?
Thank you!

Last edited:

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Hello, My friend received her OINP ITA recently and have sent in the application, but the dilemma is her PGWP is expiring in FEB 2024. The OINP takes about 2-4 months processing and her company already signed the employer form.
Q1: Is she still able to work past Feb 2024 with PGWP expired and waiting for OINP?
Thank you!
My friend is on the same boat.

ITA this week. PGWP expiring in June/2024. She may get nomination before the PGWP expires, but she won't have time to get AOR from PR application.

AashishS64

Feb 9, 2024
Thank you!
Can we apply for a work permit extension if we have submitted our application for OINP and we are in process? Because you can apply for work permit extension if you get a nomination.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Can we apply for a work permit extension if we have submitted our application for OINP and we are in process? Because you can apply for work permit extension if you get a nomination.
No you can’t apply work permit extension with just OINP in progress. You need a LMIA or you need to be get nominated by province to extend your WP.

Reactions: AashishS64

AashishS64

Feb 9, 2024
No you can’t apply work permit extension with just OINP in progress. You need a LMIA or you need to be get nominated by province to extend your WP.
I am in a tough spot here because in OINP Student Stream it is mentioned "you must be employed under the same employer when you get nominated or otherwise the nomination would be invalid." How can I keep my worker status and be employed till my nomination comes?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I am in a tough spot here because in OINP Student Stream it is mentioned "you must be employed under the same employer when you get nominated or otherwise the nomination would be invalid." How can I keep my worker status and be employed till my nomination comes?
You can email OINP and let them know your WP is expiring soon however not sure if they will speed up process. Last option is just apply for extension of WP and buy some extra time . Note by doing this it will result in refusal of work permit and you will get out of status but for buying some extra couple of months you can do that .

AashishS64

Feb 9, 2024
Thankyou so much for your help and guidance. I will put in an email to OINP to speed up the process and also when I apply for the extension I will attach screenshot for the OINP nomination requirements and my status of in process with a letter attached explaining my situation all together. I much appreciate your help. :D

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thankyou so much for your help and guidance. I will put in an email to OINP to speed up the process and also when I apply for the extension I will attach screenshot for the OINP nomination requirements and my status of in process with a letter attached explaining my situation all together. I much appreciate your help. :D
Note your work permit will be refused as i told you but this will be buy you some time.

Reactions: AashishS64