+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience of 2 years 10 months, reflecting as 3 years in EE profile

BalJoshi

Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

I have worked in a company from 30Dec2013 to 04Nov2016. Since in EE profile, we are allowed to add only months and Year. I added from Dec2013 to Nov2016. After adding this, my CRS score went to 453, which ideally should have been 423 with this experience (as I did not complete my 3 years).

Will this cause any issue since it is not my fault, as I am providing correct information however the system calculated it wrong ? I appreciate any comments/views on this.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No issue as long as you obtain an ITA and submit an eAPR with your true score (423).

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the cutoff is above 423 you must decline such ITA.

Proceeding will only lead to rejection.

drewinoakville

Star Member
Jun 13, 2017
If the cutoff is above 423 you must decline such ITA.

Proceeding will only lead to rejection.
I thought it was 1560 hours in a 12 month period of time which made one year. If he did 1560 in 2014, and 1560 in year ending 2015, then he needs only to do 1560 in 2016. If worked full time first 10 months and not much vacation, I think 1560 achieved.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought it was 1560 hours in a 12 month period of time which made one year. If he did 1560 in 2014, and 1560 in year ending 2015, then he needs only to do 1560 in 2016. If worked full time first 10 months and not much vacation, I think 1560 achieved.

This is incorrect.

In order to claim 3 years of work experience one must work for a period of 3 years.

A lot of people think "hey I work 60 hours per week, I can claim a year of work experience after working 6 months!" but this is simply not true. For full time work experience one cannot count more than 30 hours per week.

Reactions: Tom0712

BalJoshi

Jul 27, 2017
Although this seems true. The doubt is still there, why will the CIC tool assume that if someone worked from Dec2013-Nov2016, it means he/she joined on 01Dec2013 and left job on 30Nov2016. If they were that strict with this, then they need to make changes in their system. How can this be a candidates fault. Candidate has provided right details and system auto calculates the score ? :)

jackphoneix

Jul 29, 2016
A tiiiny doubt. Appreciate any clarity.

Filling out my post ITA application.
Mentioning the details of my immediate family members.
Have an elder sister who is married and resides in a different city.
Do I mention her as well?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although this seems true. The doubt is still there, why will the CIC tool assume that if someone worked from Dec2013-Nov2016, it means he/she joined on 01Dec2013 and left job on 30Nov2016. If they were that strict with this, then they need to make changes in their system. How can this be a candidates fault. Candidate has provided right details and system auto calculates the score ? :)
It is still your responsibility to ensure that you're claiming the right number of years of wok experience, the fact that the system is garbage is not an excuse.

Proceed if you want but you've been warned of the consequences.

BalJoshi

Jul 27, 2017
It is still your responsibility to ensure that you're claiming the right number of years of wok experience, the fact that the system is garbage is not an excuse.

Proceed if you want but you've been warned of the consequences.
No I am not going to proceed. The reason I raised this query here was, I didn't want to add other job which I worked for around a year since it is almost impossible to get the reference letter from them. Looks like I don't have a choice but to add that in the work history. Can I sing self declaration for that as I need just 2 months experience to qualify for 3 years work ex points ?

BalJoshi

Jul 27, 2017
No I am not going to proceed. The reason I raised this query here was, I didn't want to add other job which I worked for around a year since it is almost impossible to get the reference letter from them. Looks like I don't have a choice but to add that in the work history. Can I sing self declaration for that as I need just 2 months experience to qualify for 3 years work ex points ?
I meant "can i sign"

drewinoakville

Star Member
Jun 13, 2017
This is incorrect.

In order to claim 3 years of work experience one must work for a period of 3 years.

A lot of people think "hey I work 60 hours per week, I can claim a year of work experience after working 6 months!" but this is simply not true. For full time work experience one cannot count more than 30 hours per week.
That's not what I meant. What I questioned was that in a 12 month period of time, you need to do 1560 hours. For example, see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp for the Federal skilled workers program. Similarly, for the skilled trade program it lists the same http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/apply-who.asp. Lastly, for the CEC http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp it states even more explicitly "12 months of full-time work 30 hours/233k for 12 month - 1 year full time (1,560 hours)"

Since for all 3 EE programs, 1560 or MORE, in a 12 month period is considered full time, I would think that if you met the 1,560 hours (in the Dec 30, 2015 to Dec 29, 2016 time period) would be sufficient. However, as long as you can prove (have paperwork from the firm) you worked the dates you sent, even though it was the last of December and the first of November, I don't see how just accepting their conclusion is wrong. You did not lie. You entered in the months you worked. Now, if hire date was Dec 30 and start date was Jan 4th, that is a different story. and then refer to first sentence of this paragraph. I would argue on both grounds. So if I were in this situation I would proceed. You can always call someone that works there :)

drewinoakville

Star Member
Jun 13, 2017
That's not what I meant. What I questioned was that in a 12 month period of time, you need to do 1560 hours. For example, see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp for the Federal skilled workers program. Similarly, for the skilled trade program it lists the same http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/apply-who.asp. Lastly, for the CEC http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp it states even more explicitly "12 months of full-time work 30 hours/233k for 12 month - 1 year full time (1,560 hours)"

Since for all 3 EE programs, 1560 or MORE, in a 12 month period is considered full time, I would think that if you met the 1,560 hours (in the Dec 30, 2015 to Dec 29, 2016 time period) would be sufficient. However, as long as you can prove (have paperwork from the firm) you worked the dates you sent, even though it was the last of December and the first of November, I don't see how just accepting their conclusion is wrong. You did not lie. You entered in the months you worked. Now, if hire date was Dec 30 and start date was Jan 4th, that is a different story. and then refer to first sentence of this paragraph. I would argue on both grounds. So if I were in this situation I would proceed. You can always call someone that works there :)
Found this as well http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/definitions.asp, go down a bit and see this equivalent for the various entry points "
For _____ applications received on or after May 4, 2013

Pursuant to R73(1), “full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, and pursuant to R73(2), “work” means an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned."
Note that 30*52 = 1560. Unsure if vacation, etc count. So, 40*43 weeks > 1560. Interpretation? Yep. But their system is the one that gave you the credit for 3 years. You did not lie.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

1 - You are still assuming for calculation purposes that the applicant can claim more than 30 hours per week. Saying "1560 or MORE" is simply not possible as the maximum hours that can be achieved in a year are 1560 - 52 weeks times 30 hours per week.

2 - OP is short of 3 years of work experience by 2 months, you are suggesting he can proceed but you're still failing to understand the he must work for a period of 3 years. Does it not make sense that in order to claim 3 years of work experience one must work for 3 years?

3 - A reasonable period of paid vacations can be counted as part of work experience (not relevant to the topic but still)

4 - I actually commend you for trying to do the research but unfortunately if the OP proceeds it will only grant him a nice rejection letter. This isn't even a complicated case, you're free to ask any senior here and the response will be the same.

5 - Finally I will provide a rejection letter from an applicant who was naive in claiming two years of work experience by counting more than 30 hours per week and without working for a period of two years:

""I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of
the Canadian Experience Class and have determined that you do not meet the requirements for
immigration to Canada.
Section 11.2 of IRPA requires that information provided in your Express Entry Profile concerning your
eligibility to be invited to apply (10.3(1)(e)) as well as the qualifications on the basis of which you were
ranked (10.3(1)(h)) be valid both at the time the invitation was issued and at the time the application for
permanent residence is received.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada invited you to apply for permanent resident status based on the
qualifications you claimed in your Express Entry profile.
In your Express Entry profile you indicated that you possess 2 years of Canadian work experience as
defined under Section 1 of the Ministerial Instructions Respecting the Express Entry System.
Based on the documentation submitted with your application for permanent residence I am not satisfied
you possess 2 years of Canadian work experience.

This change in your qualifications resulted in a loss of points that brought your rank below the lowest
ranking person who was invited to apply in your round of invitation, under the Express Entry
Comprehensive Ranking System.""