+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience and qualifications

M

Mark de Jongh

Hallo

My qualifications are not related to my IT work experience. Does this disqualify me for immigration to Canada?

I am a computer programmer with 8.5 years programming experience. I have a Bachelors degree and an Honors degree from a South Africa university. My degrees are not IT qualifications, though.

I assume that I am allowed to claims points for qualifications. On the other hand, am I allowed to claim points for my IT work experience given that I do not have an IT qualification?

Thank you,
Mark

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Hello Mark,

No; the fact that your work experience does not match the degree that you hold, will NOT have a negative effect on your qualification assessment.

The fact that you completed four years of post-secondary education is primary and a criterion all by itself to give you more points. The field of study is not primary.

And, the good news for you is that you have 8.5 years of work experience, which by itself, is also a separate criterion for more points. As long as you have proof of your work experience, which usually is backed by certified/notarized reference letters from your employer or immediate supervisor stating your job title(s) and responsibilities, you should be fine. Also, make sure you have your salary pay-stubs, or some other kind of ADDITIONAL proof for your job(s). Job Acceptance letter(s) that you received is also proof.

Mark, if you have not already done so, please follow any of the web links below to take the FREE self-assessment test, or if you prefer and you have the time, you can do both. The links are from different entities.

This first link from the Government of Canada website will let you do a self-assessment on whether you qualify for the Skilled Worker Simplified Application Process - Click on "Take the Test" at the bottom of the page:

http://cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

This second link from Canadavisa.com website will also let you do a self-assessment for the Skilled Worker Simplified Application Process. Use this second link if you would like to have a personal feedback sent to your email from the law firm that operates Canadavisa.com:

https://www.canadavisa.com/assess/canada-immigration-assessment-form.htm

When you have the time also, please browse and familiarized yourself with the following websites:

http://cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

http://www.canadavisa.com/

Also, feel free to browse the topics in this forum, and ask questions so that the pros here can help you. I will suggest that when you have the time, please read the following posts under the stated subjects for the related Immigration threads as follows:

General - All Canadian Immigration; Subject: Immigration Acronyms

General - All Canadian Immigration; Subject: CAIPS Codes

Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration; Subject: Prepare an Interview

Good Luck in all of your endeavors.

Warm Regards,
Libra.

Liliana

Jul 9, 2013
Dear all,
Please help me with an advice regarding the following situation: I was a mechanical engineer for one year (2009 – 2010) and based on that i want to emigrate under NOC 2132. I have the letter of recommendation from my former employer for one year of experience which is enough to make the 67 points. After that I have worked as an SAP Consultant (2010 – present) but this experience is not relevant for NOC 2132.

Question: Is it ok to submit only the letter of reference from mechanical engineering ? on the document checklist file, at the work experience they specify they need letters of recommendation from ALL THE EMPLOYERS for the last 10 years. Having the rest of the experience different from NOC 2132 I hope will not cause problems.

Thank you in advance.

ZN908

Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
Nomination.....
04-11-2013 (PER)
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2014
LANDED..........
25-12-2014
Liliana said:
Dear all,
Please help me with an advice regarding the following situation: I was a mechanical engineer for one year (2009 – 2010) and based on that i want to emigrate under NOC 2132. I have the letter of recommendation from my former employer for one year of experience which is enough to make the 67 points. After that I have worked as an SAP Consultant (2010 – present) but this experience is not relevant for NOC 2132.

Question: Is it ok to submit only the letter of reference from mechanical engineering ? on the document checklist file, at the work experience they specify they need letters of recommendation from ALL THE EMPLOYERS for the last 10 years. Having the rest of the experience different from NOC 2132 I hope will not cause problems.

Thank you in advance.
if you have worked for one year in the field of mechanical engineering and your job duties are simmilar to those mentioned in this link:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2132
then you are good to go..
and you may mentioned your other experience in the application form, it may increase your marks if relevant, otherwise not harm ur application..

Raci78

Sep 26, 2013
Greeting,
I am Civil engineer 2131 by NOC(traffic engineer), and i am working in Traffic high school more than 7 years, full-time job.
Also i am working as a traffic signs designer as freelancer(per contract) for couple of companies, more than 5 years, but not as employed, but until you do a project.
Can you tel me please, how do I show work experience as a freelancer, does it count for immigration?
Can I present
Thanks.

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
In regards to if occupations off the NOC List, im in IT and one from the Type B fits my criteria.

If have been in this field for 4yrs, i have graduated high school as well as picked up certifications along the way - would i qualify to apply for which NOC Code suits me or would i be best to talk immigration lawyer just to be safe ?

I did an eligiblity test and i come up with 64-67pts depends on which options i choose...ironically we want to move to Calgary, Edmonton or Toronto yet french language helps us...go figure in a non french speaking area of Canada ?