Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
20-Mar-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2013
I got my Oathtaking invitation for JULY 18 !

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can't believe, found two brown envelopes in my mail box for Test invite on August 14th... So happy and relieved....no E-Cas update yet.:):):)

Reactions: Horizon13

LauraTschetter

Jul 8, 2017
Hi e1- just found this forum and thought I'd add my citizenship experience/process as well...

I am a Permanent Resident from the U.S. since 1987. 30 years!!! Moved here after I married my long distance sweetheart. (before email and facebook!! )
I grew up in Texas. At the time I moved here if I chose to become a Citizen of Canada I would have forfeited my U.S. citizenship, so that is why I didn't do it then. I was 20 years old. Then, I was more than happy to be a P.R, even tho somewhere down the line the U.S. decided to allow dual citizenship.
Fast forward to the P.R. card...no big deal right? lol- except renewing it every 5 years...I got it I believe in 2006 and renewed it twice. Last year when I renewed the second time I decided enough was enough. The process for renewal was just getting more and more involved...I had to have my passport stamps translated and notarized...send in income tax receipts etc. My children are grown and we have started traveling A LOT. (obviously not more than allowed ,lol , and I kept logs- once I realized that was needed!l)
Sooooo, I have decided to FINALLY become a Citizen of this great country I have called home for over 30 years now. YAY! My test is next Thursday and I am NERVOUS, but fairly confident I will pass...as long as my 50 year old brain will remember all those dates and names!!! :S
Can't wait to update that I pass!!! AND hoping my oath ceremony won't land during the next TWO trips we already have booked...lol.

I put my approx. time line in my signature. :)

Laura

Reactions: user3000

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi e1- just found this forum and thought I'd add my citizenship experience/process as well...

I am a Permanent Resident from the U.S. since 1987. 30 years!!! Moved here after I married my long distance sweetheart. (before email and facebook!! )
I grew up in Texas. At the time I moved here if I chose to become a Citizen of Canada I would have forfeited my U.S. citizenship, so that is why I didn't do it then. I was 20 years old. Then, I was more than happy to be a P.R, even tho somewhere down the line the U.S. decided to allow dual citizenship.
Fast forward to the P.R. card...no big deal right? lol- except renewing it every 5 years...I got it I believe in 2006 and renewed it twice. Last year when I renewed the second time I decided enough was enough. The process for renewal was just getting more and more involved...I had to have my passport stamps translated and notarized...send in income tax receipts etc. My children are grown and we have started traveling A LOT. (obviously not more than allowed ,lol , and I kept logs- once I realized that was needed!l)
Sooooo, I have decided to FINALLY become a Citizen of this great country I have called home for over 30 years now. YAY! My test is next Thursday and I am NERVOUS, but fairly confident I will pass...as long as my 50 year old brain will remember all those dates and names!!! :S
Can't wait to update that I pass!!! AND hoping my oath ceremony won't land during the next TWO trips we already have booked...lol.

I put my approx. time line in my signature. :)

Laura
All the best for your Test.. please post your experience once you are done.

LauraTschetter

Jul 8, 2017
I passed my test today! 20/20! I was told anywhere from 4/6 weeks for oath to a few months. I have a couple trips coming up and the officer made note of that and said they'd schedule my oath around it. YAY!!! Can't wait!

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I passed my test today! 20/20! I was told anywhere from 4/6 weeks for oath to a few months. I have a couple trips coming up and the officer made note of that and said they'd schedule my oath around it. YAY!!! Can't wait!
Congratulations !!. Did the officer ask any questions on the passport stamps or any previous trips to outside canada ?

LauraTschetter

Jul 8, 2017
She did say that because I have quite a few trips out of Canada (my husband and I have started traveling quite a bit since our kids grew up) that my file would be double checked with Border control (or whatever it's called) but that I was well under the limit of days gone, and it generally was done in 24-48 hours and would not slow down or affect my oath ceremony. Nothing about passport stamps. She did look at my passport tho.

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She did say that because I have quite a few trips out of Canada (my husband and I have started traveling quite a bit since our kids grew up) that my file would be double checked with Border control (or whatever it's called) but that I was well under the limit of days gone, and it generally was done in 24-48 hours and would not slow down or affect my oath ceremony. Nothing about passport stamps. She did look at my passport tho.
Thanks for the response. One more question please what sources did you use for the test preparation ? do you think the test is hard,need over preparation ? remembering the major topics should suffice ?

LauraTschetter

Jul 8, 2017
I read the book over several times, and did the practice tests at several sites. OVER and OVER I think they helped the most. The questions on the actual test were worded a bit differently, but as long as you know the stuff they test you on your pretty good.
citizenshipcounts.ca
yourlibrary.ca/citizenship
citizenshipsupport.ca
Plus most of the other one tests I found on google.
Reading and re-reading the book over concentrating of things I noticed on the practice tests...
The test wasn't overly hard, but you have to have studied for sure. Multiple choice with some true/false. Different wording than the practice tests but easy if you knew your stuff. Basic questions about the major topics. :)
I was determined to get 20/20 and I did! Took me about 7 minutes, but I really took my time. One guy was done in 3. lol
I think there was about 20 people at my test. The whole process took me about an hour.

Reactions: user3000

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I read the book over several times, and did the practice tests at several sites. OVER and OVER I think they helped the most. The questions on the actual test were worded a bit differently, but as long as you know the stuff they test you on your pretty good.
citizenshipcounts.ca
yourlibrary.ca/citizenship
citizenshipsupport.ca
Plus most of the other one tests I found on google.
Reading and re-reading the book over concentrating of things I noticed on the practice tests...
The test wasn't overly hard, but you have to have studied for sure. Multiple choice with some true/false. Different wording than the practice tests but easy if you knew your stuff. Basic questions about the major topics. :)
I was determined to get 20/20 and I did! Took me about 7 minutes, but I really took my time. One guy was done in 3. lol
I think there was about 20 people at my test. The whole process took me about an hour.
Thank you and all the best for your Oath.