+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Winnipeg - 2017 Citizenship Applicants

YWG3

May 23, 2018
Well....after 6 months of in-process, finally got the test invite by email for Sept 2018.
Whilst it was nice to get the email, I lost the thrill a while back and just wanna get this process all completed ASAP

Reactions: permafrost_can

as1985

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
AOR Received.
January 2012
Just got invitation for oath for September 06 but unfortunately I won't be in Canada during that week. Requested to re-schedule the interview to a later date. Hope I get the new date for oath soon.

Jun 1, 2018
Had my test on Aug 16. Decision made on Aug 17 morning. Theres some good info on this blog that really helped me out. Any idea how long to wait after decision made status? Thanks everyone for kind help and keep this blog running.

Endlescc

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
updating for myself :

WInnipeg and Single

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 30, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on January 22, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on February 7, 2018.
  4. We sent you correspondence on March 15, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
Got a test invite last week through email, ECAS never update, and the test date is Aug 29.

Jun 1, 2018
Hello winnipeg2013,

I have followed your comments in this forum during the recent months, as a person from Winnipeg, and found that you finally received your test invitation. Congratulations after this long time!

I also submitted my documents in 27th of Oct, 2017 and my application went to "In process" in 27th of Jan. 2018. After that, I have not received any feedback regarding my test! However, almost all people from Winnipeg (Oct-Nov applicants) already have received their test invitation letter or even have been invited for the oath ceremony (based on the spreadsheet's information).

I think your situation and my situation are somehow similar!

My question is this:

What do you think was the main reason of your application to be processed much longer than other people from Winnipeg? Are you originally from Iran, Iraq, Pakistan or ... other countries which need prolonged security background checks?

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Yeah country of origin does matter especially if you are a communist (Chinese or Russian origin etc), or bearing an Arabic name or from countries you mentioned above. If you search online you will find the maximum number of GCMS or ATTP notes requested in 2016/17 from Iran and China indicating longer processing time. There is some degree favouritism the way these immigration streams are designed by CIC. Im not from India or Pakistan but it surprises me although India is a nation of 1 billion+ but in Canada especially in prairies and west coast about 80% of east Indians are Punjabi descents. Again Im not belittling anyone (these are all factual data if you Google) , I am just trying to say your country (OR community) of origin does matter when dealing with CIC. The immigration pattern in Manitoba is really skewed if you check statistical data of last 15 years.

Last edited:

winpro

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah country of origin does matter especially if you are a communist (Chinese or Russian origin etc), or bearing an Arabic name or from countries you mentioned above. If you search online you will find the maximum number of GCMS or ATTP notes requested in 2016/17 from Iran and China indicating longer processing time. There is some degree favouritism the way these immigration streams are designed by CIC. Im not from India or Pakistan but it surprises me although India is a nation of 1 billion+ but in Canada especially in prairies and west coast about 80% of east Indians are Punjabi descents. Again Im not belittling anyone (these are all factual data if you Google) , I am just trying to say your country (OR community) of origin does matter when dealing with CIC. The immigration pattern in Manitoba is really skewed if you check statistical data of last 15 years.
To immigrate is not an inalienable right of ANYONE. The countries can indeed pick and choose. Did you not exercise your option of choice, while choosing one country over another? So why whine.

Jun 1, 2018
To immigrate is not an inalienable right of ANYONE. The countries can indeed pick and choose. Did you not exercise your option of choice, while choosing one country over another? So why whine.
My friend those of us dont have bigger community to back our application sometimes have to invest 100s of thousands to millons of dollars to get our PR status in Canada. Only few options open for us such as Business Investor stream, International Student Stream etc. Very recently Saudi Arabia pulled out 15000 international students from Canadian universities that will cost our Manitoba post secondary schools 100s of millions of dollars. So MB schools are desperately looking to offset that deficit. Local Canadians who were born here will not know about the time spent as PR for international students in Australia is only ONE year and in Canada it's two years (previously FOUR years!). Similarly there were some concern about the business investors class which was lately optimized. Again the only way we can express these concerns is by meaningful conversation that is what we are doing. This is happen to be our fundamental right FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION (please review the Citizenship Guide if you have doubt).

Reactions: N_Shine

Winnipeg1207

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks for your comments regarding my concerns,

Although other people believe that the processing time is only the matter of luck, I still believe is actually not. I am talking about the average processing time of different nationalities, and fairly am sure that the AVERAGE processing time of Iranian applicants are way longer than the AVERAGE processing time of other nationalities!

IRCC has received my documents at the end of Oct. 2017, and after almost 10 months I still have not been even invited for the test. I should say that, my application is one of the most straightforward applications that you could ever think as I have had a minimum travels outside of Canada and have been residing 3 consecutive years before my PR landing in Canada.

I have no criminal record, no name change, no marital status change and no other significant changes in my personal and professional profiles which could be the possible source of some delays in some applications.

The only problem is this: I am Iranian, and my U.S Visa application got refused in Feb. 2018 due to the stupid travel ban against Iranian citizens!

Iranian people have been the victim of discrimination after the new president of the U.S has started his job there, and this issue has affected our situation in Canada as well.

Anyway, I will wait to see what will happen in the next two months and will share my future experiences with you guys after I hire a lawyer or follow up this situation from the MP's side!

P.S: All of the above claims are based on my own research and talking to many people around me with similar situation. I dont say those claims are proved facts, but many signs indirectly support them!

winpro

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
My friend those of us dont have bigger community to back our application sometimes have to invest 100s of thousands to millons of dollars to get our PR status in Canada. Only few options open for us such as Business Investor stream, International Student Stream etc. Very recently Saudi Arabia pulled out 15000 international students from Canadian universities that will cost our Manitoba post secondary schools 100s of millions of dollars. So MB schools are desperately looking to offset that deficit. Local Canadians who were born here will not know about the time spent as PR for international students in Australia is only ONE year and in Canada it's two years (previously FOUR years!). Similarly there were some concern about the business investors class which was lately optimized. Again the only way we can express these concerns is by meaningful conversation that is what we are doing. This is happen to be our fundamental right FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION (please review the Citizenship Guide if you have doubt).
Sure you can always fall back on FREEDOM OF (FILL IN THE BLANK). These arguments are cliched and I have no interest in arguing over them. If someone is getting scrutinized more then good. There must be a reason for it. Sorry that I do not sympathize with you over this.

Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for your comments regarding my concerns,

Although other people believe that the processing time is only the matter of luck, I still believe is actually not. I am talking about the average processing time of different nationalities, and fairly am sure that the AVERAGE processing time of Iranian applicants are way longer than the AVERAGE processing time of other nationalities!

IRCC has received my documents at the end of Oct. 2017, and after almost 10 months I still have not been even invited for the test. I should say that, my application is one of the most straightforward applications that you could ever think as I have had a minimum travels outside of Canada and have been residing 3 consecutive years before my PR landing in Canada.

I have no criminal record, no name change, no marital status change and no other significant changes in my personal and professional profiles which could be the possible source of some delays in some applications.

The only problem is this: I am Iranian, and my U.S Visa application got refused in Feb. 2018 due to the stupid travel ban against Iranian citizens!

Iranian people have been the victim of discrimination after the new president of the U.S has started his job there, and this issue has affected our situation in Canada as well.

Anyway, I will wait to see what will happen in the next two months and will share my future experiences with you guys after I hire a lawyer or follow up this situation from the MP's side!

P.S: All of the above claims are based on my own research and talking to many people around me with similar situation. I dont say those claims are proved facts, but many signs indirectly support them!
My friend although I am not Iranian but I do emphasize with you. Your speculations are true as you can see on the National Post article below. However with the recent Saudi and NAFTA dispute your politicians need to act diplomatically to come closer to Canada and solve these immigration issues. I came across many smart Medical and Engineering professionals from Iran and do acknowledge their contribution in STEM field of my province.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/05/01/iranian-immigration-applicants-frustrated-by-security-clearance-delays.html

Jun 1, 2018
Sure you can always fall back on FREEDOM OF (FILL IN THE BLANK). These arguments are cliched and I have no interest in arguing over them. If someone is getting scrutinized more then good. There must be a reason for it. Sorry that I do not sympathize with you over this.
I agree with you my friend about further scrutiny and investigation where needed particularly (in my opinion) at pre-PR stage. Few years ago we had these provincial immigration streams like Family support stream or commuity support streams etc which were largely scammed by bigger communities in Winnipeg charging their fake family members or fake friends from 20,000$ to 30,000$ CAD per person to sponsor them. Even if our politicians stay quiet fearing potential vote loss, we general people must point out these anomalies because the unskilled mass immigration can jeopardize our heathcare and other social benefits funded by tax payers. My friend I am also least interested to argue about these issues.Good luck to your citizenship journey.