+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which places to notify about the change of status after being a Canadian Citizen

druzzaman

Nov 11, 2013
Dear Expertise,

Excited and eagerly waiting to be a Canadian Family on December 10, 2015. Do we need to inform/notify the change of our status from permanent resident to citizen to any places (like children’s school, banks, service Canada etc.)? Please advice.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
druzzaman said:
Dear Expertise,

Excited and eagerly waiting to be a Canadian Family on December 10, 2015. Do we need to inform/notify the change of our status from permanent resident to citizen to any places (like children’s school, banks, service Canada etc.)? Please advice.
No, no one really cares other than you.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
druzzaman said:
Dear Expertise,

The only place I see the need to update the information with would be college/university (for those institutions that require producing a valid PR Card - whether once a year, or at the beginning of every semester - to continue paying domestic tuition fees), which doesn't seem to be your case.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Who to notify of citizenship:

Registration to be an elector is separate for Municipal/Local elections, Provincial elections, and Federal elections; so when an election is approaching, the new citizen who wants to vote needs to register to vote for the Municipal/Local election, and similarly for the Provincial election, even if they checked the application box to have their name registered with Elections Canada (that only registers the new citizen for the Federal election).

At the time the new citizen renews health care coverage, it is also a good idea to specifically inform the respective health care insurer (such as OHIP for residents of Ontario) that you are a citizen. (I did not notice until much later that the renewal form specifically listed my status, and even though I became a citizen before renewing it lists me as a "Permanent Resident.")

Depending on which bank you do business with, you may want to update the bank's information about you to reflect your status as a citizen. Updating this kind of information probably has little if any significance, but some may want their bank to have the correct, current information. (Status has only come up, for me, in relation to making RSP contributions; might be something a client seeking a mortgage or business loan should have current.)

Beyond that, I stooped to much bragging to family and friends, letting just about anyone who knew me know that I am now a Canadian citizen. Nearly two years later, I continue to regularly wear the maple leaf pin I was given at the oath ceremony. To my mind, anyway, becoming a Canadian citizen is indeed something one would like to let the world know. Brings me a smile every time I think of it, despite all the cause for sadness and sorrow in the world.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I may hijack the topic...
Is there anything specific one should do before travelling to the US after becoming a citizen?
I still have a (valid) US visa in my current passport as I needed it to travel to the US.
When I get Canadian passport, I won't need a visa anymore, right?
Do I need to tell anybody at the border that I used to travel using a different passport?

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
sjakub said:
If I may hijack the topic...
Is there anything specific one should do before travelling to the US after becoming a citizen?
I still have a (valid) US visa in my current passport as I needed it to travel to the US.
When I get Canadian passport, I won't need a visa anymore, right?
Do I need to tell anybody at the border that I used to travel using a different passport?
That's correct. A canadian citizen with a valid canadian passport does not need any kind of visa to enter USA.
About you second question... I'm no expert, but I cannot see any reason why you should inform the border officers about your old passport. For them, what's relevant is your current travelling documents.