+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

which one is easier CELPIP - General or IELTS ?

lets_see

Feb 12, 2018
Hi folks,

For those of you who are still deciding between these two tests, I'd suggest taking CELPIP for several reasons.
First, CELPIP is one-day one-shot exam, meaning all four components (LRWS) are on the same day in one sitting.
Second, I've taken both tests and noticed that improving the writing score in IELTS is way more difficult than doing it in CELPIP. Perhaps, due to numerous factors such as illegible handwriting, spelling errors, punctuation errors etc. Additionally, while responding to the time-constrained writing tasks with a pencil/pen on a paper might leave us to figure and correct the errors, which is again both time-consuming and tricky to do it on paper. On the other hand, CELPIP detects spelling errors and even suggests a list of possible choices for an incorrectly spelled word. For example, when you write 'youre' in CELPIP it shows a spelling error and if you further right click, it suggests you two choices to chose from: you're and your. Further, you could even copy and paste the text and need not mention deleting or any other editing function is a lot easier on a computer than on a paper. I could score 6.5 in writing with my 2 attempts in IELTS but with CELPIP in 1 go, I got 10 in writing.
However, speaking part in CELPIP could be either good or bad depending on how much you're comfortable speaking to a computer screen or to an imaginary person. Personally, I'm more comfortable to speak to the expressionless computer and imagining it as a listener who could be my family member, a close friend, boss or any other person. Another major difference in the speaking part of CELPIP and IELTS is that in CELPIP you've to decide the right tone/formality of your speech for each task but it could be practiced easily.

Good luck!
You mean in Writing CELPIP, it comes with AUTO CORRECT option? Please confirm once more, i am bit confused...

MANDEEP786

May 10, 2018
HI!
This is MANDEEP SINGH wanted to know about your institution as I am interested to have or to open it in India moreover
in Punjab as yet there is not any single institution of CELPIP here. Simply I have number of queries regarding this course as I am running immigration office with which people used to ask me about it. So, I would like to know about the plans, procedure, formalities and amount that all are required to have your institution in Punjab.
I hope you will consider this and revert me back as soon as possible because I am very much eager to know about it and to open it.

Thank You,
Mandeep Singh

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
HI!
This is MANDEEP SINGH wanted to know about your institution as I am interested to have or to open it in India moreover
in Punjab as yet there is not any single institution of CELPIP here. Simply I have number of queries regarding this course as I am running immigration office with which people used to ask me about it. So, I would like to know about the plans, procedure, formalities and amount that all are required to have your institution in Punjab.
I hope you will consider this and revert me back as soon as possible because I am very much eager to know about it and to open it.

Thank You,
Mandeep Singh
Paaji, you can appear for CELPIP if you are based in one of the following countries : Canada, USA, UAE or Philippines. There are no CELPIP test centers in Punjab. Please register for IELTS exams!

gadhvibhargav

Feb 10, 2016
You mean in Writing CELPIP, it comes with AUTO CORRECT option? Please confirm once more, i am bit confused...
Yup, I could conform that CELPIP writing detects the spelling errors and upon right clicking on it, you'd be suggested with possible choices of the word.

manuelmuisca

May 24, 2018
My experience with CELPIP was not good at all. CELPIP is a ripoff, they seem to be OK for natives, but as soon as they hear foreign accent in your voice they will give you the lowest grade possible. I have won MBA case competitions in Toronto, got 24/30 in TOEFL and yet, they gave me just 6/12. I've heard many times they do it to scam people into taking (and of course paying) many times. Paragon said they would be happy to discuss this further with me but I called them and they just asked me if I had any question. So thanks for nothing. Anyone reading this: you better off do IELTS.

Reactions: CANADA2002

lets_see

Feb 12, 2018
appeared for CELPIP on 26th of this month. I was a shocker, not easy for sure. As its computer-based, you don't have time to think, its so fast pace, by the time you realize or understand anything, you are bombarded by another task, overall it was tough, at least for me. Here is my feedback for future aspirants :
1. Listening
If you are good or even avg in spellings, IELTS is easy
2. Reading
Both are same, IELTS you can control and divide your time between task but in CELPIP, it's not an option.
3. Writing
CELPIP is easy as compare to IELTS
4. Speaking
IELTS is easy, CELPIP there is not much time to read and answer, imagine 3-5 lines question to read and prepare for it in 30 sec, not
easy for sure.

These are my observation only, I am still waiting for a result.

alice17

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Victoria
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2018
I have written CELPIP and can agree with you that is is not easy for sure! The one advantage of CELPIP over IELTS is thar it is all computer based. I am currently studying for the IELTS and it seems a bit easier than CELPIP so far.

appeared for CELPIP on 26th of this month. I was a shocker, not easy for sure. As its computer-based, you don't have time to think, its so fast pace, by the time you realize or understand anything, you are bombarded by another task, overall it was tough, at least for me. Here is my feedback for future aspirants :
1. Listening
If you are good or even avg in spellings, IELTS is easy
2. Reading
Both are same, IELTS you can control and divide your time between task but in CELPIP, it's not an option.
3. Writing
CELPIP is easy as compare to IELTS
4. Speaking
IELTS is easy, CELPIP there is not much time to read and answer, imagine 3-5 lines question to read and prepare for it in 30 sec, not
easy for sure.

These are my observation only, I am still waiting for a result.

manuelmuisca

May 24, 2018
I did both with 1 month of difference between them, and I could confirm that CELPIP is a scam. If you take CELPIP-General, Paragon knows you need 9 for your Express Entry, so sure enough they will give you 8 in either Speaking and/or Writing so you have to pay for the test again. I have seen this many times already. Here are my results side by side (the CLB translation is mine):

philus

Oct 14, 2016
I will agree with @manuelmuisca. I did CELPIP in 2015 and IELTS in 2018, both with same ~ level of preparation. I prefer IELTS. I may be wrong though, I feel CELPIP assumes you are already familiar with Canadian culture.

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
English is my first language and my CELPIP results:

Reading: 12
Writing: 9
Listening: 9
Speaking: 11

I took copious notes for listening, and I have written professionally, but I only got 9s in those two categories.

According to CRS, those two 9 scores shaved 6 points off of my score, from 437 to 431.

I think I am going to take it again, but I'll study this time. I went in cold, no studying.

Hey newimmi44- Did you take it again? I am really glad to see your story, as honestly, I am realizing that this is a widespread problem. I am also a native speaker, and I scored an 8 on the writing. I asked for a reevaluation, and they didn't change it. I am reluctant to buy they materials on the writing because, for Pete's sake, I can write emails in English. This is driving me nuts, that I am going to have to pay another $360 to prove that I can write English. Same thing happened for my husband, and he too, writes professionally. He got a 7 in writing and they bumped it up to an 8 with reevaluation.

richow85

Sep 5, 2018
If your goal is CLB 7 or 8 (max), then definitely consider CELPIP.
If you are aiming for CLB 9 or higher, forget it. Go for IELTS. I consider myself a decent speaker and writer but only got 8 and 9 on CELPIP (I got 8.5 on IELTS).
I honestly consider CELPIP a complete waste of time and money if you are aiming for CLB 9. According to their own 2017 statistics, even Native Speakers (Canadians, Americans, Australians etc) all struggle with the writing test. So if you are non-native speaker don't even think twice, go for IELTS.

newimmi44

Jan 16, 2018
If your goal is CLB 7 or 8 (max), then definitely consider CELPIP.
If you are aiming for CLB 9 or higher, forget it. Go for IELTS. I consider myself a decent speaker and writer but only got 8 and 9 on CELPIP (I got 8.5 on IELTS).
I honestly consider CELPIP a complete waste of time and money if you are aiming for CLB 9. According to their own 2017 statistics, even Native Speakers (Canadians, Americans, Australians etc) all struggle with the writing test. So if you are non-native speaker don't even think twice, go for IELTS.
That's good to know, thanks.

newimmi44

Jan 16, 2018
Hey newimmi44- Did you take it again? I am really glad to see your story, as honestly, I am realizing that this is a widespread problem. I am also a native speaker, and I scored an 8 on the writing. I asked for a reevaluation, and they didn't change it. I am reluctant to buy they materials on the writing because, for Pete's sake, I can write emails in English. This is driving me nuts, that I am going to have to pay another $360 to prove that I can write English. Same thing happened for my husband, and he too, writes professionally. He got a 7 in writing and they bumped it up to an 8 with reevaluation.

I haven't taken it again, I will soon. If my scores don't improve, I am going to take the advice of the other poster and do IELTS. This is such a racket, someone is making bank off of our fees.

My work visa expires in March. I will have over a year of Canadian work experience I can count. I have an MA from an Ontario university. The thing is my age, I'll be 45 in January, so I need all of the points I can get. I am also studying French in order to get even five more points. If all of that does not work to get an invitation, I am going to hang it up as Canada is not the only country in the world. I am getting a TEFL certificate from the U of Toronto, I'll teach English overseas.

Reactions: skye and CANADA2002

srikanthm8

Sep 19, 2018
I took CELPIP and passed with Flying colors. As I never gave IELTES so can not comment about it but I found CELPIP very easy.

And I am not a native speaker.
Hi Rahul..how about the speaking for non native speaker. Any tips please? I am planning for October. Thanks,Srikanth