+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

which one is easier CELPIP - General or IELTS ?

vongueart

Oct 10, 2018
I needed CLB 9 to get enough points for express entry. Sadly, I followed an immigration lawyer's advice and took CELPIP... 3 times. All 3 times my reading and speaking were rated the highest (11 & 12), Speaking - first time 9, other two - 8, and writing was always 8, no matter how much I practiced, took classes with tutors...

Finally, I took IELTS and from the first attempts got L8 R8.5 W7 S8 (equivalent of CELPIP L10 R11 W9 S10)

My verdict: avoid CELPIP. Go for IELTS, but get prepared.

CELPIP approach is unprofessional, unfair and frustrating. All they want is your money and I am convinced they fail test takers on purpose. The format of the speaking part is ridiculous and has nothing to do with your ability to speak English. How my writing could be rated as low as CELPIP 8 (and even 7 the first time) will stay mystery for me forever.

CANADA2002

Apr 24, 2018
CELPIP test is not for people but for robots. If you want to waste your money, go for CELPIP. Really, this is ridiculous as you have to speak fast for one minute, follow their rules! and come up with all ideas. Everybody is different! The speaking component of the test is horrible.

CANADA2002

Apr 24, 2018
CELPIP is completely unprofessional. In addition, it is impossible even concentrate when everybody will speak around you loudly.

Reactions: skye

priscabowman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
03-10-2018
AOR Received.
20-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-09-18
Obviously , there are people who will find Celpip easier and vice versa. But I think most people would say that IELTS is more realistic in comparison to the real world. There are also more available study materials for IELTS online that are free.
Took both exams and actually preferred IELTS so I would recommend it.

kamran.shekh

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
I needed CLB 9 to get enough points for express entry. Sadly, I followed an immigration lawyer's advice and took CELPIP... 3 times. All 3 times my reading and speaking were rated the highest (11 & 12), Speaking - first time 9, other two - 8, and writing was always 8, no matter how much I practiced, took classes with tutors...

Finally, I took IELTS and from the first attempts got L8 R8.5 W7 S8 (equivalent of CELPIP L10 R11 W9 S10)

My verdict: avoid CELPIP. Go for IELTS, but get prepared.

CELPIP approach is unprofessional, unfair and frustrating. All they want is your money and I am convinced they fail test takers on purpose. The format of the speaking part is ridiculous and has nothing to do with your ability to speak English. How my writing could be rated as low as CELPIP 8 (and even 7 the first time) will stay mystery for me forever.
I completely agree. To me, CELPIP seems like a waste of money. I appeared twice in CELPIP over the last 6 months. Here are my scores:
April 2018: LRWS - 12, 12, 8, 8
November 2018: LRWS - 12, 12, 8, 7
I knew that I did not do very well in speaking but I was confident in the writing section. I remembered the writing part's questions and my answers after the exam and in my head, I went through my response many times. I just don't see how could I have improved my answer. I compared my writing response to other 9 band answers available in the practice material and I think I should have received a 9. It feels like they are just interested in making money out of you by purposefully forcing you to repeat the test many times.

Last edited:

IELTSTutor

Sep 9, 2018
A LOT of people are confused about which exam to take, and by now we know the major differences...but there are some very important things that most people are not aware of.

If it is simply writing with pen and paper that bothers you, take the computer-delivered IELTS. If you'd still want to know more about the exact major and minor differences between these exams, here is a useful blog post I found: https://8777ielts.com/2018/11/25/better-exam-ielts-celpip/

Hope you find it helpful! Overall, CELPIP is far more complex than most people think.

bougti

Jan 18, 2019
Just took CELPIP, If you are short on time then choose CELPIP, with respect to scores IELTS is much better, my speaking score in CELPIP is much lower (8.5 in IELTS and 7 in CELPIP). Two reasons: noise cause by other people speaking makes it hard to focus and the fact you’re speaking to machine, not human.

bougti

Jan 18, 2019
Just took CELPIP, If you are short on time then choose CELPIP, with respect to scores IELTS is much better, my speaking score in CELPIP is much lower (8.5 in IELTS and 7 in CELPIP). Two reasons: noise cause by other people speaking makes it hard to focus and the fact you’re speaking to machine, not human.

Two reasons: noise cause by other people speaking makes it hard to focus and the fact you’re speaking to machine, not human.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Reactions: CANADA2002

Hmstr

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
In a perfect world, I would prefer Reading, Listening and Writing from CELPIP and Speaking from IELTS. Talking to a computer with timer is demoralizing.

Reactions: CANADA2002

krabhisheck

Jul 12, 2019
hey an mba friend is proly going to apply for canadian experience. do you recommend celip over ielts since he's been here already for a couple of years?

YanaGahlot

Sep 20, 2019
I dont know exactly how hard CELPIP is , but iELTS is definitely not very tough.
But it is not somethign you learn in a week.
If you are someone who is good at reading english newspapers, can converse in english comfortably ,then u can easily get through this.
and there are also quite a few reading materials online and forums where you can seek some guidance and tips.

The following is my IELTS score
Listening : 8.5
Reading : 8.5
Writing : 8.5
Speaking : 8.5
Overall : 8.5

I prepared for some strategies for writing and that helped me finish the task in allotted time.
All the best !!
May u plz share writing strategies as m stuck at 6.5