+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

which one is easier CELPIP - General or IELTS ?

lordaragon

Jul 23, 2014
Quick question - the CELPIP website says the following...

"CELPIP Test sittings are currently only available in Canada but we are working to provide the CELPIP Test on an international level. Keep updated on our developments via the official CELPIP Test Facebook page, our website’s news section, or by signing up for our monthly newsletter."

I noticed some of you on the forum here have taken celpip - any pointers on whether or not you can take this test in locations outside of Canada?

Aguntupalli

Star Member
Apr 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2014
AOR Received.
31-10-2014
Med's Request
14-06-2015
Med's Done....
28-06-2015
I dont know exactly how hard CELPIP is , but iELTS is definitely not very tough.
But it is not somethign you learn in a week.
If you are someone who is good at reading english newspapers, can converse in english comfortably ,then u can easily get through this.
and there are also quite a few reading materials online and forums where you can seek some guidance and tips.

The following is my IELTS score
Listening : 8.5
Reading : 8.5
Writing : 8.5
Speaking : 8.5
Overall : 8.5

I prepared for some strategies for writing and that helped me finish the task in allotted time.
All the best !!

ashlireza

Jul 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 Aug 2014
AOR Received.
23 Oct 2014
When I wanted to take CELPIP, I was pretty nervous about the format and difficulty level of the test since there isn't much practice materials out there but it actually turned out to be fine. Here is my experience:

Registration: CELPIP is held every Friday and Saturday in most of the major cities and registration spots are usually open even a couple of days before the test date which is a big help nowadays with all these caps and process changes that are happening. The price is also $30 cheaper.

Practice: This is the part that was scaring me because there are not enough material out there to practice. There is a free sample test and two additional sample tests for sale. I strongly recommend to take the free test and buy the other tests if you are not short on cash. The reason is the speaking section of this test is 100% different from TOEFL and IELTS and it can catch you off-guard if you are not familiar with the test format even if you are pretty proficient with English. The other three parts are not that different and they resemble TOEFL iBT.
  • The writing part has spell-check that underlines wrong words in RED!
  • In the listening part the questions are sometimes hidden and you have to scroll down to see all of them. Make sure you don't skip any

Results Delivery: This is one of the nice things about this test. I got the results online in 7 Business days which is better than advertised (8 days). I called in advance and ordered my results to be shipped by courier as soon as they became ready. They post them by Purlator which delivered mine in 1 day and I got the results in the mail in 8 business days. They are mailed out from Vancouver and I live in Edmonton so the actual timeline for you will depend on where you live. The customer service rep told me I could even go to their office in Vancouver in person and pick it up.

Test Day: All the staff were OK but the room was too small and I had to have the headset on to be able to focus. You may find it a bit challenging if you tend to be distracted easily. This off course depends on the test center.

Difficulty: Different people have different ideas about how difficult these exams are in comparison with one another. I have taken TOEFL, IELTS and this one and here are my scores as a comparison:
TOEFL (2010): Reading: 29, Listening: 28, Speaking: 23, Writing: 28
IELTS (2012): Reading: 7.5, Listening: 8.5, Speaking: 7.5, Writing: 7
CELPIP (2014): Reading: 12, Listening: 12, Speaking: 10, Writing: 8

The other negative point is that this exam is not widely recognized and you would not be able to use it for any purpose other than immigration.

Reactions: mrphillipz

Raj2014

Sep 13, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
AOR Received.
04-05-2015
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
May 9 2014
Med's Done....
May 23 2014 / IP Sep 2 2015 / DM Sep 18 2015
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
Oct 10 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 11 2015
LANDED..........
Dec 15 2015 / Already in Canada Since 2010 as Student & Worker ...Now PR
HELLO GUYS,

I am going to take CEIPPL test soon ? Any ideas ? Any suggestion ? I will need CLB 5 OR 6 as I am applying in CEC under B category.

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
Decision Made - 29-02-2016 (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
I'm a native english speaker and did IELTS (score of 9 in all categories). The process around the test was the most frustrating part - having to go to the test centre during my work hours for the speaking test, having to get to the test centre on the Saturday 1-2 hours before the test to just stand around in a room with not enough seats (and I had no coffee!), and the constant lining up. I don't know if CELPIP is better in that regard? That was the worst part of the test for me. The test was fine for me being Australian but our invigilator was new to the process and almost didn't give us the sheets in time for the listening exercise.

If I had known CELPIP was computer based I would have done that one instead.

cgupta123

Star Member
Aug 6, 2014
I did CELPIP-G coz of it being computerized and of 3 hours only and I am lazy ;) - I found the test pretty easy but then my english has always been good. The only problem I faced was that I almost ran out of time while answering the last question but that was due to bad time management on my side. In the last question, I was supposed to speak for atleast 2 minutes but I could speak for only 15-20 seconds and my time got over. I was pretty mad at myself and was thinking that i would lose heavily (since it was mentioned that the last question carried the most marks). However, i was pleasantly surprised when I received my results and got 5H in all sections!
The MOST imp tip I can give is to get the practice tests that CELPIP sells. They really helped gauge the format of the test.
regards,
Chetan

Raj2014

Sep 13, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
AOR Received.
04-05-2015
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
May 9 2014
Med's Done....
May 23 2014 / IP Sep 2 2015 / DM Sep 18 2015
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
Oct 10 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 11 2015
LANDED..........
Dec 15 2015 / Already in Canada Since 2010 as Student & Worker ...Now PR
cgupta123 said:
I did CELPIP-G coz of it being computerized and of 3 hours only and I am lazy ;) - I found the test pretty easy but then my english has always been good. The only problem I faced was that I almost ran out of time while answering the last question but that was due to bad time management on my side. In the last question, I was supposed to speak for atleast 2 minutes but I could speak for only 15-20 seconds and my time got over. I was pretty mad at myself and was thinking that i would lose heavily (since it was mentioned that the last question carried the most marks). However, i was pleasantly surprised when I received my results and got 5H in all sections!
The MOST imp tip I can give is to get the practice tests that CELPIP sells. They really helped gauge the format of the test.
regards,
Chetan
Thank you Chetan. I will order this test and practice it. How was reading ? Same as IELTS ?

IanaT

Oct 30, 2014
sashali78 said:
I have done both CELPIP and IETLS previously (applied under FSW before CEC) and i can definitely say IELTS is easier. As well, due to better granularity of grades it is easier to achieve a needed bar.
Below are my impressions:
1. Listening - IELTS is perhaps marginally harder
2. Speaking - CELPIP you do it on PC, was way harder for me to talk with computer instead of a person
3. Reading and writing are comparable

I didn't study for any of the exams so cannot comment on availability of materials.
My grades are as follows:
IELTS CELPIP
Listening 8 4H
Reading 7.5 4H
Writing 6.5 4H
Speaking 6.5 4L
I just wonder how it is possible at all to have almost the highest grades for IELTS and lower that average for CELPIP. It is very confusing. CELPIP can't be that much difficult. Their own description of level 4 is 'Adequate proficiency for daily life activities' and IELTS 6-8 are competent user and more! Level 6-8 of IELTS should be aproximately 8-10 in CELPIP!

tortau

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
If you've lived in Canada for awhile, I would recommend CELPIP... the questions they ask are more daily conversational phrased.

IELTS felt a little stifled and old fashioned. It was also a pain for me because of the administrative part (the instructions giving part took close to an hour), the whole pencil writing, etc. Give me a computer please.

PS: I took both because the first time, it was IELTS but it expired before I submitted my application. Second time (and current application) is based on CELPIP. My observations are based on 4 years ago so things may be different now.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
Hey folks,

I didn't exactly want to ask which one is easier, but opening another thread might be redundant so simply putting my question over here.

I took TOEFL in 2010 and Business English Course Level 3 in 2004. Do not remember the exact scores but not less than 75%. My CELPIP is scheduled mid-November and I wanted to ask if CELPIP test format has any similarity with TOEFL. BEC is not computer based hence not asking.

Thank you.

abinto

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Hi guys, I just finished my celpip test. just wondering if someone wrote more than 200 words in each writing task.
I had about 240 words for the letter and around 280 words for the opinion essay.

did any one of you got low score for writing more words than 200??

confused now.. :-\ :-\.

and can we use the online result to fill in the express entry profile? is there any ref no provided in the online result? or do i need to wait for the letter to fill in the form?? please advice as I will get the online result on july 15th and the next draw may be on 17th. any Idea?? I am panning to do the express shipping . hope it will reach my home on friday the 17th so that I can update the profile before 6 pm in AB

xianph6615

Oct 2, 2015
I am not very good in english but I tried my best to pass the Celpip exam first attempt I failed in reading but in the second time I did it. One of the majoy reason I failed is the I am not in focus lots of noise from other examiners who but by second time around I practiced online with TV ON & thanks God score improved from 4 to 7. Reading is the most hardest part for me because of time limit...just keep on practicing and I am sure everyone can do it. I learned that everyone deserves a second chance or don't give up just keep on going...God is always Good...God bless all. :D

beogradjanin1

Apr 6, 2013
I am not sure, does anyone read this anymore, but if does I would like to share my experience for both tests. A few years ago I took an IELTS academic test and a few days ago CELPIP. I would say that for me listening was harder at IELTS than Celpip. A reason for that may be the room I was seated during the IELTS test. I was all a way in the back row and only I could hear was echo. For a reading, I got a better score in CELPIP but I would say that IELTS reading is easier just because of the time management. Speaking is definitely harder on CELPIP, at least, that's my opinion. The reason may be because I am usually speaking to the person, not so much to the computer. Speaking in IELTS is just a more real. Writing is easier at CELIPIP and the reason for that is a spell checker. If you make a mistake in spelling you can just do a right-click with a mouse and computer will give you a solution, just like a word. Overall, I would recommend CELPIP. My scores:
IELTS: CELPIP:
Listening 6 Listening: 8
Speaking 6 Speaking 7
Reding 6.5 Reading 11
Writing 7 Writing 8

kidbroker

Feb 18, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 1st 2016
I only tried IELTS for the past 9 years, omg, it's just too expensive.

Wondering how much it would cost for CELPIP?