+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHICH CITY TO LAND ? -for New Immigrants

zatar

Mar 8, 2011
qorax said:
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
What abt kitchener?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
zatar said:
What abt kitchener?
Pls read here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/toronto-neighborhoods-where-do-i-go-t66734.60.html

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hindiakopinay said:
WHAT STATUS QORAX? I'M NOTHING, JUST AN OFW HERE IN JORDAN
Uh, not whether u r an Overseas Foreign Worker -- but what's your current PR filing situation?
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hindiakopinay said:
qorax!

how are you? my friend Ronaldo from Abu Dhabi referred me to you... And from what I've read, i saw that you are one of the most hrlpful people on canada visa... My name is Elmer and im currently in Jordan... I dream of going to Canada, shall i go to toronto or vancouver? where can i find jobs and where do i apply? do you know of any specific agencies..?

thank you in advance. :)
hindiakopinay said:
i am 0%... thats why i want someone to make me familiar with the procedure :)
1. Between Toronto & Vancouver - Toronto'd be better 'coz of jobs.
2. Probably u r looking for immigrating as a FSW PR -- u can if u r eligible under the MI list [29 NOCs].
3. Pls check the CIC website for all info here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
4. Generally speaking we don't require agencies anymore to apply, 'coz of the websites & forums.
5. However, if u must - then ensure that u touch-base with a CSIC member agency, available over the globe. Here's the list:
https://www.csic-scci.ca/find/all.html
6. One such - David Cohen [owner of this forum] - is pretty good; & recommended. U may touch-base them here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/contact-canadian-immigration-office.html
7. U'd find much info on the entire thing/process here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/a-master-thread-of-some-of-my-posts-here-t40175.0.html

Hope that helped.

All the very best!
Qorax

agsangrador

Jun 20, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
22-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application forms
File Transfer...
06-04-2011
Med's Request
19-04-2011
Med's Done....
17-05-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-08-2011
Hi Qorax!

I am an architect from the Philippines and we just finished taking the medical examinations including my daughter whom we just recently added to our application. We are bound for Calgary as our point of entry and I have a few questions I hope you and the other senior members could answer.

1. Usually, I hear from fellow immigrants that they landed in Vancouver and get their landing record there. But I found a Delta Air flight that flies directly from the Philippines to Calgary. Is it perfectly okay to land directly in Calgary for my first entry to Canada? Do they have the immigration officers there that will cater to first time immigrants?

2. How's the job market in my industry (architecture and construction) in Calgary? What do you think are my chances of landing a job soon in Calgary when I arrive (I'm planning to arrive around March or April of 2012)?

3. Will my Philippines qualifications (Architecture Degree, License, etc) and experience be considered when applying for a job in my industry? Some say Canadian qualification and experience is all that matters...

4. I once applied and got accepted for admission to take up Master's Degree Courses in the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Australian National University (ANU) as an International Student both listed as among the top universities in the world but wasn't able to push through with the program due to financial problems. Will I be able to qualify to take up my Master's Degree in Canada, specifically in the University of Calgary, with only my Philippines Bachelor's Degree and Qualifications? (It worked for Singapore and Australia) I am hoping to take up masters directly rather than going for a bachelor's degree all over again just to gain Canadian Qualifications.

Looking forward for you to shed some light... Thank you in advance!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
agsangrador said:
Hi Qorax!

I am an architect from the Philippines and we just finished taking the medical examinations including my daughter whom we just recently added to our application. We are bound for Calgary as our point of entry and I have a few questions I hope you and the other senior members could answer.

1. Usually, I hear from fellow immigrants that they landed in Vancouver and get their landing record there. But I found a Delta Air flight that flies directly from the Philippines to Calgary. Is it perfectly okay to land directly in Calgary for my first entry to Canada? Do they have the immigration officers there that will cater to first time immigrants?

2. How's the job market in my industry (architecture and construction) in Calgary? What do you think are my chances of landing a job soon in Calgary when I arrive (I'm planning to arrive around March or April of 2012)?

3. Will my Philippines qualifications (Architecture Degree, License, etc) and experience be considered when applying for a job in my industry? Some say Canadian qualification and experience is all that matters...

4. I once applied and got accepted for admission to take up Master's Degree Courses in the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Australian National University (ANU) as an International Student both listed as among the top universities in the world but wasn't able to push through with the program due to financial problems. Will I be able to qualify to take up my Master's Degree in Canada, specifically in the University of Calgary, with only my Philippines Bachelor's Degree and Qualifications? (It worked for Singapore and Australia) I am hoping to take up masters directly rather than going for a bachelor's degree all over again just to gain Canadian Qualifications.

Looking forward for you to shed some light... Thank you in advance!
1. Yes, 'landing'@Calgary is perfectly fine... u'd be able to complete all formalities there.
2. Your first few employment/s might come from 'starter jobs' market. u should be able to fetch one such imdtly.
3. Your is a 'regulated' profession. U'd require to be licensed to practice that vocation.
4. Yes, u can. Just get your foreign quals 'assessed' asap.

Qorax

agsangrador

Jun 20, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
22-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application forms
File Transfer...
06-04-2011
Med's Request
19-04-2011
Med's Done....
17-05-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-08-2011
qorax said:
1. Yes, 'landing' @ Calgary is perfectly fine... u'd be able to complete all formalities there.
2. Your first few employment/s might come from 'starter jobs' market. u should be able to fetch one such imdtly.
3. Your is a 'regulated' profession. U'd require to be licensed to practice that vocation.
4. Yes, u can. Just get your foreign quals 'assessed' asap.

Qorax
Hi Qorax,

Can you please teach me how to have my foreign qualifications assessed? I tried to email the University of Calgary and attached my transcript of records, graduation diploma, professional certificates and everything a long time ago and they haven't replied to me at all.

Thanks for being so helpful.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
agsangrador said:
Hi Qorax,

Can you please teach me how to have my foreign qualifications assessed? I tried to email the University of Calgary and attached my transcript of records, graduation diploma, professional certificates and everything a long time ago and they haven't replied to me at all.

Read here:
http://www.cicic.ca/415/credential-assessment-services.canada

emmy_est

Jun 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/02/12
AOR Received.
13/03/12
Med's Request
17/10/13
Med's Done....
29/10/13
Passport Req..
23/01/14
VISA ISSUED...
27/01/14
LANDED..........
14/06/14
....please,
which city is favourable for a medical radiation technologist /radiographer to land

thanks

brown_eyes

Star Member
Jul 19, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 09, 2014
Doc's Request.
received by Mike at CIO July 14, 2014
Nomination.....
PER November 11, 2014
AOR Received.
Addtl docs request August 20, 2015
IELTS Request
CEM received addtl docs Sept 20, 2015
Med's Request
October 19, 2015
Med's Done....
October 28, 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
November 10, 2015
LANDED..........
hopefully on March 2016
Leon said:
Silverfox, first look for jobs online to find what city looks best to you. Set up interviews for your trip. Then visit everybody you know and do the interviews. Whichever city you like best + whatever job offer looks best, go there.

Do not make your choice just because you have 1 friend there. Sometimes people are all happy about you moving there but when you get there, you find that they have their own life's and they may not be quite as helpful to assist you with your settling as you thought they would be or they might have led you to believe.
Wont starter jobs determine the rest of your career in Canada? Since Canada gives primacy to the "Canadian Experience" wont taking survival jobs take you away from landing jobs of your dream later on?

brown_eyes

Star Member
Jul 19, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 09, 2014
Doc's Request.
received by Mike at CIO July 14, 2014
Nomination.....
PER November 11, 2014
AOR Received.
Addtl docs request August 20, 2015
IELTS Request
CEM received addtl docs Sept 20, 2015
Med's Request
October 19, 2015
Med's Done....
October 28, 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
November 10, 2015
LANDED..........
hopefully on March 2016
agsangrador said:
Hi Qorax,

Qorax,
Do you have information as to which city/province is most immigrant friendly in terms of foreign qualifications accreditation? I mean which province usually recognize foreign credentials, and which does not required strict "Canadian Experience" in finding jobs in your field of expertise?

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Starter jobs give you an earning capability so not to exhaust your funds....if you have enough money to afford waiting for a job in your field than why not...but still with that too a survivial jon given you a chance to learn things the canadian way and get comfortable......i am sure no one takong interviews for job in your field is going to mind what you did immediately after landing.....i guess they will appreciate you immediately went to work on some job to get the Canada feel...

brown_eyes said:
Wont starter jobs determine the rest of your career in Canada? Since Canada gives primacy to the "Canadian Experience" wont taking survival jobs take you away from landing jobs of your dream later on?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
brown_eyes said:
haral said:
Starter jobs give you an earning capability so not to exhaust your funds....if you have enough money to afford waiting for a job in your field than why not...but still with that too a survivial jon given you a chance to learn things the canadian way and get comfortable......i am sure no one takong interviews for job in your field is going to mind what you did immediately after landing.....i guess they will appreciate you immediately went to work on some job to get the Canada feel...
And there r CEOs here who were once 'burger-flippers'.
It's the experience that counts... not what/where/how u did.

Qorax