+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHICH CITY TO LAND ? -for New Immigrants

shaider

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For DENTISTS, which place is a good option. a place where they usually give credit to your education from your home country. A place where registration is easy for DENTISTS. A province which is in need of DENTISTS.

missioncan

Aug 6, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05th Aug 2011
IELTS Request
Sent to CIC with the application
Thanx Qorax for such a valuable and detailed description. Can you throw some light on the statement under Vancouver about Indians why they should be avoided ....
qorax said:
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
missioncan said:
Thanx Qorax for such a valuable and detailed description. Can you throw some light on the statement under Vancouver about Indians why they should be avoided ....
There is a big population of East Indian and Pakistani in Vancouver, particularly in Surrey. Not so bad actually.

shaider

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For DENTISTS, which place is a good option. a place where they usually give credit to your education from your home country. A place where registration is easy for DENTISTS. A province which is in need of DENTISTS.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
missioncan said:
U have mis-read that line... it wasn't meant to read: "Indians - to be avoided"; but was written for: "Vancouver [as a city] - to be avoided".

Qorax

hirkshah

Jul 13, 2010
Ahmedbad India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 28, 2010
Doc's Request.
Sept 30, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 04, 2010
File Transfer...
March 06, 2012
Med's Request
July 09, 2013
Med's Done....
July 31, 2013
Passport Req..
July 09, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 08, 2013
Dear Qorax,

I am pre june 2010 applicants still waiting for some moment on application which no one knows when will happen....

While we are waiting for visas, we wanted to do some preparation back home...we still have not decided where to settle...we have some relative living in TORONTO but not sure if they will be willing to help us..my husband's best fried has moved to Montreal two years back and is quite settled there...He is asking us to settle in Montreal where he can also help us settle down..

Now if we plan to settle in Montreal, French language will be barrier because we do not know French.....Can we survive there without having knowledge of French?......will the weather will be another barrier because it is more cold compare to Toronto?..and how about job opportunities?..my husband is into banking industry and I am from clinical research/pharma industry...

Can you please guide us which city we should choose to settle.? If we choose to live in Toronto, we need to be prepared to live completely on our own..

For montreal, we are also confuse whether the weather there will be suitable for old people like our parents because once we settled, we are planning to call our parents to live with us...

your guidance will be really helpful in taking decision...

pramod5

Jul 25, 2011
Dear Qorax,

I am Agrologist, Working in Nepal as Soil Scientist for 7 years. I got PR in July and now I am planning to fly Canada. I have googled job related to my profession on web and found that Alberta is better than others. But I am not pretty sure that Job of Soil scientist is regulated in Alberta or not ? if yes what should I do? I have one M Sc degree in Agriculture (Soil Science) from Nepal and another M Sc degree in Geo-informatics (GIS and Remote Sensing) from the Netherlands, Is these degree will entertained by Canadian employer?

I hope you will help me in these issues.

Thank you for your nice threads.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
hello all,

what if you have a connecting flight from toronto to some other city lets say edmonton.. do u still need to complete the landing formalities in toronto or you'll meet the officer in edmonton for all this which is the final destination on the ticket...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You go through immigration in the first city you come to in Canada. The transfer flight is a domestic flight so you do not go through immigration again. Therefore, if you are going to Toronto as your first destination, you would land there and then go on to Edmonton.

prmalr

Jul 16, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aspire said:
For nurses, Manitoba is a good option. They usually give credit to your education from your home country. No need for any bridging programs. Registration is easy. The entire province is in dire need for nurses.
thanks for the info aspire, anyways i just read your info after two years its a great piece of information i would like to know if in Manitoba there is shortage for nurses and how about indian nurses getting jobs there, need to write crne and stuffs?
or other than manitoba any other state that has good and immeidate oppurtunities for nurses, i have nclex and cgfns,
please reply me and it would be of great help to me thanks a lot.

Sam.

agsangrador

Jun 20, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
22-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application forms
File Transfer...
06-04-2011
Med's Request
19-04-2011
Med's Done....
17-05-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-08-2011
I am torn between Edmonton or Calgary... For an immigrant architect, which city would be best?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
agsangrador said:
I am torn between Edmonton or Calgary... For an immigrant architect, which city would be best?
Both'd be nearly the same... however between the two Calgary'd be a shade better.

montu

Jun 24, 2011
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
london``
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july2010
Doc's Request.
8thjuly2010
AOR Received.
22-11-2010
IELTS Request
àt the time of application
File Transfer...
22-11-2010 to lon vo
Med's Request
21-3-2011
Med's Done....
22-6-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
in oct 2011
Dear Qorex,

hows the sales and marketing jobs in toronto?
am into media sales and marketing field. initially i aill be taking up any job in sales in any industry. can you also suggest (if u know) few prominent job consultants.

regards
montu

sujamana

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Hi Qorax

Can you please share me some detail about Kelowna BC?

Especially school, rent and other basic expenses to run family

Thanks in advance!!

mayankpt

Aug 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 nov 2011
AOR Received.
PER 3 FEB 2012
IELTS Request
sent with the application
File Transfer...
21 feb 2012
Med's Request
29 march 2012
Med's Done....
9 april 2012, Medicals sent on 10 april
Passport Req..
29 March,2012
aspire said:
For nurses, Manitoba is a good option. They usually give credit to your education from your home country. No need for any bridging programs. Registration is easy. The entire province is in dire need for nurses.
is there any such place for physios....??to avoid bridging programs???