WHICH CITY TO LAND ? -for New Immigrants

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI FRIENDS,

I AM MILAN THAKAR FROM INDIA

I WILL TRY TO CAME AT VANCOUVER BRITISH COLUMBIA TO NEXT 3-4 MONTHS WITH W1 VISA.

IS IT SAFE PLACE FOR NEW CAMERS ?????
Don't shout!!!!! What do you mean CAMERS? Are you trying to say comers or camels?

Reactions: Jakev

ankie

Star Member
Oct 13, 2017
Guys, Any pointers for someone looking for a job in supply chain, demand planning sort of profile? How easy or tough it would be to find and which state will present the best scenario?

HassanH

Star Member
Apr 22, 2017
There are always pockets of unsafe areas, but most are pretty safe for everyone.
Hi Steaky,

I'm gonna be moving to Vancouver, just wondering, how's the job there? IT/Tech fields mainly if you have any idea. I guess I wanna know how easy would it be to get a job in that field.. thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Steaky,

I'm gonna be moving to Vancouver, just wondering, how's the job there? IT/Tech fields mainly if you have any idea. I guess I wanna know how easy would it be to get a job in that field.. thanks!
Sorry! You have to figure it yourself.

sidhardh

Star Member
Feb 19, 2013
London
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
18/01/2018
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.
Am dentist, permanent resident, please suggest me provinnce or city to land.
I got friend in halifax. Should I go there or toronto?
What area courses I can look for?
Any health care course like health informatics or mha or mph ?

sidhardh

Star Member
Feb 19, 2013
London
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
18/01/2018
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.
Thanks for the post. Where you located?
As am dentist, where should I land initially, as there are many opinions, can't decide, confused Pls guide me.
Regarding course should I go for mha or mph or health informatics ?
Thank you.

Reactions: qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thanks for the post. Where you located?
As am dentist, where should I land initially, as there are many opinions, can't decide, confused Pls guide me.
Regarding course should I go for mha or mph or health informatics ?
Thank you.
The location of your [initial] settling down might not be based on your job prospects alone ~ but also based on many other factors like affinity to your diaspora, cost of living, presence of friends/relatives, ease of integration, flight travel to your homeland etc.

And like regular doctors a dentist needs to be re-educated here to be able to work. Initially you will not be able to obtain a job in your field of expertise. However, you must work to support yourself and your family.

Reactions: qureishi

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
So Vancouver is not a good first choice for newcomers who have no family or friends in Vancouver? I was looking at Vancouver :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So Vancouver is not a good first choice for newcomers who have no family or friends in Vancouver? I was looking at Vancouver :(
Cost of living is very high and if you live in the suburbs commuting is very slow. Are you a graphic designer? Are you looking to be employed in that field? I would probably suggest one of the mid-sized Canadian cities where the cost of living is lower and competition for jobs may be lower. As a young person in Canada you should remain flexible about moving if you find a good job opportunity. That's what young Canadians do especially if they are single.

Have seen other comments from dentists. If you want to continue practicing dentistry there is a surplus of dentists in Vancouver and Toronto. Had a friend graduate from U of T and he said he would never consider either because the market is just too saturated.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Cost of living is very high and if you live in the suburbs commuting is very slow. Are you a graphic designer? Are you looking to be employed in that field? I would probably suggest one of the mid-sized Canadian cities where the cost of living is lower and competition for jobs may be lower. As a young person in Canada you should remain flexible about moving if you find a good job opportunity. That's what young Canadians do especially if they are single.

Have seen other comments from dentists. If you want to continue practicing dentistry there is a surplus of dentists in Vancouver and Toronto. Had a friend graduate from U of T and he said he would never consider either because the market is just too saturated.
Yes I'm a graphic designer. So you suggest cities like Ottawa or Calgary instead of Vancouver for me?