Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.

bennyameh

Dec 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ottawa
There is a lot of governments office,foreign missions and universities presence.It is also a good area to be considered.
Benny

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
Nice post Qorax!

I saw some pictures of vancouver in Flickr and its a very scenic yet modern city. However based on the article you posted earlier today also looks scary from a newcomer perspective.

tran

May 10, 2009
What about Saskatoon or Regina? The province of Saskatchewan is booming.

http://www.newstalk650.com/story/20091223/27147

aspire

Champion Member
Jul 13, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2009
File Transfer...
29-03-2009
Med's Request
21-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2011(pspt submitted 09-04-2011)
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2011 (passport received 17-05-2011)
LANDED..........
26-06-2011
For nurses, Manitoba is a good option. They usually give credit to your education from your home country. No need for any bridging programs. Registration is easy. The entire province is in dire need for nurses.

Reactions: sanoberroshanali

CPA2CANADA

Jun 9, 2009
Calgary Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 1, 2009
Doc's Request.
Jun 4, 2009
AOR Received.
Aug 12, 2009
Med's Request
Sep 16, 2009
Med's Done....
Oct 1, 2009
Passport Req..
Oct 20, 2009
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 15, 2009
LANDED..........
in July 8, 2010 (Toronto)
Qorax.....can you clarify something here? Can I land in Toronto although the province mentioned in my visa/COPR is Alberta?

Thanks!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
[quote author=CPA2CANADA.msg190316#msg190316 date=1261632677]
Qorax.....can you clarify something here? Can I land in Toronto although the province mentioned in my visa/COPR is Alberta?
Thanks![/quote]

The POE (Port of Entry) matter:

Dear Cpa2Canada,

As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1)& (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

sharma77

Aug 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2009
AOR Received.
28-05-2009
File Transfer...
02-06-2009
Med's Done....
07-08-2009
Passport Req..
08-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2009
LANDED..........
yeh on 19 june,2010 canada is amazing
qorax said:
The POE (Port of Entry) matter:

Dear Cpa2Canada,

As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1)& (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.
thanx capt. dutta!all doubts cleared

aaycee

Dec 27, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2010
Doc's Request.
Document Submitted: 17-03-11
AOR Received.
2nd AOR: 18-2-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
25-02-11
Med's Done....
9-03-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-02-11
VISA ISSUED...
22-7-11
LANDED..........
4th October 2011 Winnipeg :)
which is a better place for indian dentists and medicos?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
aaycee said:
which is a better place for indian dentists and medicos?
Dear Ac,

As with all other occupatons, any Canadian city could be good for a Dentist or Medic, either Indian or from any place. Morover, medics are in tremendous shortage in Canada, overall.

However, plz note that Doctors (any stream) cannot practice in Canada with overseas quals. It is a 'regulated occupation'. And the most stringent laws attract this profession, we can say that it's the most 'highly' regulated one. They have to undergo a 'real-time' accredition course in one of the Canadian Medical Inst. -usually for 4 yrs. Then, complete an internship -usually 1 yr, before being accepted/allowed to practice in Canada.

I may sound very unsympathetic & disencouraging to the medical professionals, but that's the fact, which I'm aware of. I'm not a medic & thus, might not be absolutely sanguine of that, u may like to obtain a 2nd opinion on this matter. However, one should be practical than painting a rosy picture. Hence, my above suggestion.

I know that many docs take-on "other", even 'non-medical' jobs upon landing & continue their studies for a pretty long time. Also, many docs condone their actual profession & continue with the secondary occupation that they get successful with, in this long pd. Similarly, there are many docs who eventually make it and are greatly awed medical practionners/surgeons in Canada as well.

However, the fact remains that one'll do good to take all pros & cons into one's stead before plunging onto anything. City wise, any & every city can be equally good or bad. It's all in our fate / destiny, but we'd also do good in planning our move well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !