+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHICH CITY TO LAND ? -for New Immigrants

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read through the following discussion and it will give you some insights of Toronto:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-expriences-so-far-first-two-days-in-toronto-t53118.60.html

ankipanki

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
Hi Qorax

Me & My ife are moving to canada in may.. I wanted to know what is the scope for the consulting background & for HR background people.

Where are the maximum consulting jobs available...

Is HR regulated profession. How is kingston for HR jobs...

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
HR is kind of regulated cause most HR jobs require u to be certified in the HR area with exams to be taken in Canada.

Most consulting jobs are available in Canada but I would say, most of the consulting jobs would be located in the major cities, such as Toronto, Vancouver and the other bigger cities.

weddingtonite

Star Member
Mar 13, 2011
qorax said:
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.
Dear qorax

1) do you know which area of toronto is best for a new migrant. i mean in terms of finding an accomodation like renting an appartment/room and have good transport links.

2) how one should look for accomodation. should we look in news papers like loot or there is any website or we look on shop windows etc??

2)what you advise to a new iimigrant. should they buy a car when they land in toronto or use public transport.

3)does toronto underground train system is connected to all areas of toronto

4) is there any congestion charge while driving in toronto??

5) how the underground train system works?? do we need to buy travel cards like weekly or monthly??

Thanks for all your answers. Lastly tell me which area of toronto you living and are you renting an appartment?? How much rent you are paying for your appartemnt??

Many thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
weddingtonite said:
Dear qorax

1) do you know which area of toronto is best for a new migrant. i mean in terms of finding an accomodation like renting an appartment/room and have good transport links.
2) how one should look for accomodation. should we look in news papers like loot or there is any website or we look on shop windows etc??
2)what you advise to a new iimigrant. should they buy a car when they land in toronto or use public transport.
3)does toronto underground train system is connected to all areas of toronto
4) is there any congestion charge while driving in toronto??
5) how the underground train system works?? do we need to buy travel cards like weekly or monthly??

Thanks for all your answers. Lastly tell me which area of toronto you living and are you renting an appartment?? How much rent you are paying for your appartemnt??

Many thanks

Toronto City Boundaries

Toronto City Close-Up

Toronto Downtown Core

Toronto City
The City of Toronto* is considered to encompass parts of North York to the North, Scarborough to the East, shores of Lake Ontario to the South & Etobicoke to the West.

Toronto Downtown
The Downtown of Toronto is usually considered till Eglington Avenue to the North, DVP (Don Valley Parkway) to the East, Gardiner Xpressway to the South & Dufferin Street to the West.

The Subway-TTC System
Check here the TTC (Subway) Map of Downtown...
http://www3.ttc.ca/images/fixedImages/TTC-Downtown.pdf

Heart of Downtown
The Business District & Entertainment District combine is considered to be the heart of Toronto downtown. Basically the 6-7 Kms area around the CN Tower. See the last image above.

Centre of Downtown
Yonge & Dundas - the intersection of Yonge St. & Dundas St. is typically assumed to be the epicenter of Toronto Downtown. That place is colloquially called the "Times Square" of Canada.

Qorax
*Not encompassing the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

silverfox

Oct 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
File Transfer...
20-03-12
Med's Done....
19-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-03-12 received on 11-04-12
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-12 received on 28-04-12
LANDED..........
july 24, 2012
hi Qorax!

I'm an avid reader of your posts here...I have scanned every thread just to find your posts, which are indeed very informative.

I shall be landing this June 6th in Vancouver together with a colleague who's already a Canadian citizen. We'll be staying in her brother who lives in Vancouver, and 3 days after she will proceed to Toronto to join her children and their families there. My dilemma now is where to proceed from Vancouver---a friend/schoolmate of mine is encouraging me to find work in Victoria, BC, while another classmate suggests that I join her in Calgary. While in Toronto, a former officemate has also expressed that i could stay with her if ever i would settle there. If it would be possible that you could shed some light on my query: Your original post on this thread was dated sometime in Dec 2009 yet, and you said that for newcomers, you would suggest them to land in Toronto for reasons you have stated there, with Calgary as the 2nd option. Looking at the economic development of the province of Alberta the past year, could you still make the same suggestion for us, newcomers?

By the way, I'm an accountant by profession, who took up Nursing as a second course.

Thanks and looking forward for your reply. God bless you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Silverfox, first look for jobs online to find what city looks best to you. Set up interviews for your trip. Then visit everybody you know and do the interviews. Whichever city you like best + whatever job offer looks best, go there.

Do not make your choice just because you have 1 friend there. Sometimes people are all happy about you moving there but when you get there, you find that they have their own lifes and they may not be quite as helpful to assist you with your settling as you thought they would be or they might have led you to believe.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Leon said:
Silverfox, first look for jobs online to find what city looks best to you. Set up interviews for your trip. Then visit everybody you know and do the interviews. Whichever city you like best + whatever job offer looks best, go there.

Do not make your choice just because you have 1 friend there. Sometimes people are all happy about you moving there but when you get there, you find that they have their own lifes and they may not be quite as helpful to assist you with your settling as you thought they would be or they might have led you to believe.
And that's an 'absolute truth'!

silverfox

Oct 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
File Transfer...
20-03-12
Med's Done....
19-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-03-12 received on 11-04-12
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-12 received on 28-04-12
LANDED..........
july 24, 2012
Leon said:

Thanks for your inputs Leon and Qorax. I really appreciate it.

I strongly agree with you both, because you cannot rely even with your relatives. Honestly, I have 2 relatives in different parts of Calgary, 1 of whom is a first cousin and the other is a niece of my husband. My husband's niece used to be so excited of my migration there, and gave me all sorts of advices, even unsolicited ones. However, I noticed that as my application for PR seemed to show positive results, with the receipt of my MR then later with the PPR, she started to discourage me, telling me how life and employment there has been so uncertain lately, etc. Fortunately though, I got my visa...and I'll be going there without her help. As for my cousin, I have informed her about my visa when we were chatting in FB once. But when I asked her where her address in Calgary is, she got offline, and never chatted on me again, until now, even though she has been actively posting on FB. So, that's how sad life is, perhaps they don't want to be bothered.

I'm just scared though, bcoz I will be starting life anew there, all by myself. My husband and son are non-accompanying for the meantime. That's why I just rely with the help of some friends and classmates in settling there. :(

Thanks again, and I'm so glad I have this forum to keep me informed and guided. Keep up the good work. :)

ppatra

Mar 24, 2011
Hi all,

I have got my PR visa last year and am planning to land in Canada sometimes next month in April..Currently I am in the USA and want to go for 2-3 days...But there are many questions rising...

(1) which is the best place to land ??
(2) If I go to Toronto,,then can I apply for PR cards for me and my spouse the same day by giving a local address ??
(3) About the POF..can I show them my bank US local bank statements ?? Also I have the statement of the stock I hold in India.,Is it ok to show that also..And how much cash I need to carry
(4) How can I get the Supplementary Identification Form (IMM 5455) and Fees Receipt (IMM 5401) within the USA.??

Thank you

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ppatra said:
Hi all,

I have got my PR visa last year and am planning to land in Canada sometimes next month in April..Currently I am in the USA and want to go for 2-3 days...But there are many questions rising...

(2) If I go to Toronto,,then can I apply for PR cards for me and my spouse the same day by giving a local address ??
(3) About the POF..can I show them my bank US local bank statements ?? Also I have the statement of the stock I hold in India.,Is it ok to show that also..And how much cash I need to carry
(4) How can I get the Supplementary Identification Form (IMM 5455) and Fees Receipt (IMM 5401) within the USA.??

Thank you
THIS IS THE SAME OLD LINE... "IT'S U & ONLY U WHO CAN DECIDE ON IT".
THE PRCs R DONE@THE POE ITSELF, SAME TIME, SAME DAY. U GET THOSE CARDS LATER, BY 40-45 DAYS.
YES & NO... SOMETIMES THEY ACCEPT THE BANK STATEMENTS - SOMETIME THEY DO NOT. IT'S WISER TO CARRY A CASHIER'S CHQ THOUGH.. AND SOME CASH... AROUND $2-4K, BASED ON YOUR NEEDS.
WHY DO U REQUIRE THEM?

Good luck!
Qorax

ppatra

Mar 24, 2011
Thank you for the info..

Is it only the IMM 5444 form which I have to carry pre-printed for my convenience.. along with form B4...or are there any other forms to be carried for the processing of the PR card ??
In my initial stage of the application I had mentioned Ottawa as the POE and now when I will land in Toronto then what explanation I can give??
Will the same photo work which is attached to the CPR, as that is less than 6 months old ??
Last thing, is 2-3 days sufficient for this work or shall I have to stay for more days ??

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ppatra said:
Thank you for the info..

Is it only the IMM 5444 form which I have to carry pre-printed for my convenience.. along with form B4...or are there any other forms to be carried for the processing of the PR card ??
In my initial stage of the application I had mentioned Ottawa as the POE and now when I will land in Toronto then what explanation I can give??
Will the same photo work which is attached to the CPR, as that is less than 6 months old ??
Last thing, is 2-3 days sufficient for this work or shall I have to stay for more days ??
1. U don't require that IMM as well.
2. If u r an FSW, u can 'land' @ Tor - no questions'd be asked. Even if they do & u state that u 'had a change if mind' - that suffices.
3. If u have recd your COPR - that means that your pics r accepted for the PR cards. However, many go into trouble with that issue... so keep your fingers Xed.
4. U just need to get your SIN... for which, 24hrs suffices. -even that can be done later

Qorax

Mar 23, 2011
Hallo guys,

This is really gr8.

I should have registered this forum a long time ago.

I've read most Qorax post here, they are all correct and informative.

Keep up the good work.