+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to carry 100 Kg Food items for myself while moving to Canada.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
Air1220 said:
CBSA officials do ask about POF and can also ask you to show the same.

As per the information on this forum...if you are travelling from countries like India/Pakistan...you better don't take local bank statements...you may carry cash /TC's/Bank Draft or may also open Canadian Bank account while in India (But make sure you get the bank statement before boarding)

Magical Figure: As mentioned by PMM :Minimum CAD20,654 for a family of four.

Good Luck,

AiR :)

I am from India with a bank account in ICICI bank. I intend to keep the money in it and once i have the bank account in canada, i will transfer the balance through online banking.

Also i have heard a lot about the merits of having an account in HSBC bank in india as that will help in getting the credit cards etc. so, is it really better to have the account in HSBC than in ICICI ?

regarding the POF, is the amount same for a family of four with kids and and one with grown ups? we have two kids 2+ and 4+.

your feedback is eagerly awaited.

thanks

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
HSBC's 'Premier' account allows you to wire transfer money between your own accounts in different countries for free. Their international banking department can help you setting up accounts/credit cards overseas based on the asset in your home country and therefore you can get a credit card easily even without credit history in Canada.

To open an HSBC Premier account, you need to maintain a certain amount of assets in it (including deposits, investments, etc). Different countries have different minimum balance requirements so check with them in your home country (eg in Canada it's 3 times higher than in US), and ask about the fee they will charge you in case your account balance falls under the minimum later.

coke14 said:
Also i have heard a lot about the merits of having an account in HSBC bank in india as that will help in getting the credit cards etc.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
I borrowed a part of this amount from others and once the medicals got rolling and they requested for passports, i thought CHC is done with the bank balance part. So, I returned back what i borrowed and to add to my woes, i spent a lot on shopping from the remainder amount.
you just admitted that you committed a fraud during your application processing as you indicated possessing the required funds, which you did not possess - at least that is my understanding. be aware that if this was true you are risking your PR visa.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
clubcanada said:
you just admitted that you committed a fraud during your application processing as you indicated possessing the required funds, which you did not possess - at least that is my understanding. be aware that if this was true you are risking your PR visa.
i mortgaged jewellery to borrow some money....... not all. money is there with me but in the form of gold.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
coke14 said:
regarding the POF, is the amount same for a family of four with kids and and one with grown ups? we have two kids 2+ and 4+.
Yes - it's the same amount. The age of your children doesn't matter. You must be able to show POF for 4 people.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
coke14 said:
unfortunately, i dont have much of savings and i dont have any relatives there.

i want to know how much of savings a couple with 2 children under 5 should have in order to survive for a month or so. please consider all the expenses like rent, utility bills, food expenses etc.

our family will be allowed to carry around 200 kg. roughly what percentage of it should be clothes/food/utensils? i am planning for the worst case scenario. if not food items then what else should i carry ? please suggest
Good quality of basmati rice and dal are cheaper in UK then in India (I assume it's same in Canada)
You bring your utensils (pressure cooker , non stick , plates etc - again bring what you already own instead of buying new but they are very expensive here compare to India)
Pata-Belan, your Good electronics if any , Your kitchen knifes , children toys , tooth brush , bring food items like Garamond masala (which available here too but in India it cheaper ) , bring cigarettes if you smoke and family planning items like Condoms if you use as that are 5X expensive here , Medicines (antibiotics, and children Medicen like calpol, ibufrobin etc ) . Bring sweets at least couple of kg. as they expensive here lol, cloths are good idea but don't spend lot on warm cloths as those you can get better in Ca .
Don't think 200 kg is enough.
Best thing to bring is CASH at last

vinny_new

Jan 11, 2011
Hey Friend,

WHich airlines are you flying with. Most airlines only allow max 2 bags of 23kg each. I end up paying excess baggage charges most times when I fly with Family. Pls share the airlines info. It ll be v helpful

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Aquib said:
Good quality of basmati rice and dal are cheaper in UK then in India (I assume it's same in Canada)
You bring your utensils (pressure cooker , non stick , plates etc - again bring what you already own instead of buying new but they are very expensive here compare to India)
Pata-Belan, your Good electronics if any , Your kitchen knifes , children toys , tooth brush , bring food items like Garamond masala (which available here too but in India it cheaper ) , bring cigarettes if you smoke and family planning items like Condoms if you use as that are 5X expensive here , Medicines (antibiotics, and children Medicen like calpol, ibufrobin etc ) . Bring sweets at least couple of kg. as they expensive here lol, cloths are good idea but don't spend lot on warm cloths as those you can get better in Ca .
Don't think 200 kg is enough.
Best thing to bring is CASH at last

You realize of course that Canada is a 120 Volt country and most foreign electrical appliances, unless they are dual voltage will not work without a transformer?

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
vinny_new said:
Hey Friend,

WHich airlines are you flying with. Most airlines only allow max 2 bags of 23kg each. I end up paying excess baggage charges most times when I fly with Family. Pls share the airlines info. It ll be v helpful
most flights from new delhi to toronto will allow you to carry two bags of 32 kg each plus one hand bag of 7 kg.

i will be flying with Aerosvit airlines. pl check their website.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
coke14 said:
most flights from new delhi to toronto will allow you to carry two bags of 32 kg each plus one hand bag of 7 kg.

i will be flying with Aerosvit airlines. pl check their website.
Hi , can you tell me about good website for tickets from India to Canada?

Though I will be going from UK but still wanna check fares from India as if they good then may go to india for couple of week and then move Ca from there

dina07

Star Member
May 1, 2013
GUJARAT
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH-2010
IELTS Request
6.5 BANDS
Med's Request
22/02/2013
Med's Done....
01/03/2013
Interview........
WAIVED BY THE GRACE OF GOD
Passport Req..
22/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
23/04/2013
LANDED..........
may be in Aug-Sep-2013
Hello COKE14,

I am also like u as i also dont understand what to take together, can u share ur experience and send me a list in nimish_21@yahoo.in if possible.

How u have find the house?

How u have find the job?

dina07

Star Member
May 1, 2013
GUJARAT
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH-2010
IELTS Request
6.5 BANDS
Med's Request
22/02/2013
Med's Done....
01/03/2013
Interview........
WAIVED BY THE GRACE OF GOD
Passport Req..
22/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
23/04/2013
LANDED..........
may be in Aug-Sep-2013
HELLO AQUIB,

I and my wife are landing in Calgary in Aug, can u suggest and if possible can u send or mail (nimish_21@yahoo.in)the list the things to be carry together due to need and expensive over there.

--- I am from India and i want to come from Ahmedabad to Calgary so can u suggest the flight?

--- How many KG can i bring with me?

--- After reaching in Airport where we should go? as we dont have relative nor friend over there?

--- How can i find job and house for rent?

--- I want to bring @4-5 Lac INR so how can i bring? Travel Cheque / DD / by thomas cook?

--- From India can i open account and deposit amount? if yes then what will be charge if i withdraw fully after coming to calgary?

--- I have INTEX Tablet can i bring it?

waiting for reply
Thanks

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coke14 said:
I will be immigrating soon to Canada so i am planning beforehand what to carry. My family of four will be allowed to carry roughly over 200 Kg (about 70 Kg for each member). Delhi-Toronto flight.

As i don't have any assured job there in Canada and by looking at this forum, it seems life is gonna be tough in the first few months. So, i want to carry as much food items as possible there for survival.

I am planning to carry all the dry ration i can (like rice, pulses, cereals, ) each about 40 kg. LOL. ;D
Can i bring in this much??
Dear Sir

You are arriving in "Canada" to settle, as you know North Americans are very well fed to the point of being obese. There are more food varieties here than anywhere in India. You are not going to be camping out in the Sahara Desert. Please bring things like furniture, carpets, curtains, maybe electronics, pots and pans since they are expensive. Cows, goats, buffalo, donkey, milk, water, daal, murmura, sev, rice bags, flour, cereals please leave them at the Indian border. These would be unnecessary heavy weight items.