+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to carry 100 Kg Food items for myself while moving to Canada.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
I will be immigrating soon to Canada so i am planning beforehand what to carry. My family of four will be allowed to carry roughly over 200 Kg (about 70 Kg for each member). Delhi-Toronto flight.

As i don't have any assured job there in Canada and by looking at this forum, it seems life is gonna be tough in the first few months. So, i want to carry as much food items as possible there for survival.

I am planning to carry all the dry ration i can (like rice, pulses, cereals, ) each about 40 kg. LOL. ;D
Can i bring in this much??

blackrider

Mar 26, 2012
Re: Want to carry 100 Kg Rice/Pulses while moving to Canada.

Best scenario would be to obtain this information from the airlines and canada embassy in your country.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
all i could gather from internet is that the food items should preferably be sealed properly. not a word mentioned about the quantity allowed and items restricted to be carried especially daily use food items.

please help.

thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I brought oatmeal to Canada from China but not in such large quantity. It's a pity that the shipping company refused to ship the plain dried noodles in excess of 100kg along with other stuff to Canada.

Last time when I brought my dog to Canada, I mentioned to the officer that I am bringing with me some dry dog food. The officer instructed me to line up at the "agriculture" counter. At the counter, they didn't inspect the dog food but only the dog! :D

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
I just want to be doubly sure that there will not be any problem at any juncture if i do carry 100 Kg of assorted food items...... purely for my own family's consumption.

so i want to know will the airlines allow this much and this kind of stuff in their checked baggage? if they do then will the officials at airport will have any objection to it..

As i mentioned before, people have painted a scary picture of the job scenario , wages, taxes etc in canada hence want to survive there a little longer on my own.

please share your wisdom.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Airlines (at least Cathay Pacific, China Eastern and Air Canada) have no problem with those foodstuff as checked baggage.
2) However, whether or not those foodstuff can be imported to Canada is another issue. Like I said, if you need a definite answer, contact CFIA.
3) I would say a lot of food stuff here in Canada are much cheaper than some high end supermarkets in China.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
The only problem with water will be its Volume....... density of Rice is more than that of water so in a limited volume allowed by the Airlines, i can carry much more Rice than Water. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There might be a problem at customs depending on what you're bringing into the country. Not all food products are allowed in.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
I have been trying hard to find out that list of products which are banned in canada.

I just want to bring items of day today use in Indian kitchen and the same things are probably available there in markets too like Indian rice is freely available in supermarkets here in canada and so should be pulses and cereals.

So is there a specific list of food items banned or is it the discretion of the officials at the airport?

some factual information needed please !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
See the following link:

http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml#a2

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
Unless it's very specific stuff why would you bring this much food to Canada anyway? considering the number of people from india in and around toronto, i believe there isn't much food you won't get here. so why would you waste your baggage allowance on it...

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
The reason is that i am worried about the chances of getting a decent job in the first few months. here in the forum every one is talking about taking a survival job first. survival jobs wont pay you enough. what ever you get (10-15 / Hr) will be taxed about 30%. then you have sky high rents to cope with. dont forget the utility bills. I dont think i will be left with anything to eat. on the contrary may be even spending from my savings.

Thats why friends, i want to take as much as i can from here .... food , clothing etc so that i minimise my expenditure there.

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
jan 2012 along with medicals
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
nov 16 2012 :D
you dont have any savings? or relatives in canada? you can get food there..not much difference in price of food...
and what about other stuff like clothes,
don't worry you will get a job in canada..when you are jobless your job is to find a job..and its easier if you speak/understand english..

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
unfortunately, i dont have much of savings and i dont have any relatives there.

i want to know how much of savings a couple with 2 children under 5 should have in order to survive for a month or so. please consider all the expenses like rent, utility bills, food expenses etc.

our family will be allowed to carry around 200 kg. roughly what percentage of it should be clothes/food/utensils? i am planning for the worst case scenario. if not food items then what else should i carry ? please suggest