+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to carry 100 Kg Food items for myself while moving to Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depend whether you are landing in the summer months or winter. If winter, clothes are generally heavier. Whether you would be bringing both summer and winter clothing, although you can get them in Canada.

Do your kids wear diapers?

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
I intend to carry winter as well as summer clothes with me. I am planning to land by the end of May 2012. I guess it wont be a bad idea if i carry a heavy coat in my hands in order to save on baggage allowance.

No my kids dont need diapers. But I am keen to know what really should i be carrying along if not food items in order to make full use of baggage allowance. i know everything is available there but my point is ...will it be wise on my part if i travel light just for the sake of it .... knowing fully well that i will be having hard time searching for a job...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did brought cleaning supplies such as brooms, bathroom/kitchen cleansers, kitchen towels, toilet papers and body wash which are somewhat pricey in Canada. Laundry detergents are also pricey here but I can't bring everything from China!

For your ref, some useful guidelines about Toronto:

qorax said:
Toronto - Living costs (a guideline only)

U'd generally be Ok with $2500-3500 per month.
-House Rent: $700-1300 depending on what/where u locate/chose. Anything less than $700 would be shady!
-Heat & Hydro: If u take a condo, add another $100 a month to the above.
-Cable/Internet/Phone: $125-200 depending ur usage/preferance. Anything less than $125 would be tearsome!
-Conveyance: $100-200 depending on ur efficiency. Anything less than $100 would make u immobile!
-Fuel: Add $200-300 on the above if u have a car. Else u r semi-static... not hapenning 4 u here!
-Auto-Ins.: $400-600 if u buy a car. U may chose not to initially... but down 6 months - u must have [else u might be in deep sh1t]!
-Food: $1200-1700 depending on ur livability. Anything less than $1200 - and u aren't 'alive'!
-Outings: $300-700 depending on ur lifestyle. Anything lesser than $300 would make u socially dead!
-Stationery & consumables: $50-100. Anything less than $50 and u r doing nothing!
-Irregular purchases: $250-400. Anything less than $250 is not happening, here...
-Out-of-pocket expenses: $300-500. Else u r impossible, incorrigible, incognito!
-Kid's welfare: $150-250. If u have kids - u'd understand their addnl requirements!
-Childcare: $300-1000 depending on what u chose [pvt unlicensed to proper daycare]. It'd be if u both work & if kids r minors.
-Misc.: $300-500. U never know from where u'd have a bombshell! If not - it'd be ur safety-net.

Qorax

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
some really interesting suggestions there for what else can be carried along !!!

CAD 3500 seems to be beyond someone doing survival jobs...... How do people save something there? has canada lost its gleam or have the people been struggling for savings from outset?

in the hindsight it looks an awfully bad decision. a blunder.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
The reason is that i am worried about the chances of getting a decent job in the first few months. here in the forum every one is talking about taking a survival job first. survival jobs wont pay you enough. what ever you get (10-15 / Hr) will be taxed about 30%. then you have sky high rents to cope with. dont forget the utility bills. I dont think i will be left with anything to eat. on the contrary may be even spending from my savings.
you should bring at least enough money to bridge 6 months. For toronto I'd estimate around $2000 per month (bottom) for a family, which would be a 1-BR apartment outside toronto (e.g. mississauga or scarborough) and does not include insurance, school/school items, clothes nor any luxury items such as a car, cable, savings, outside dining etc. and is limited to internet (6GB), pre-paid phone, etc. In addition, you should have enough money to be able to buy a return ticket just in case you won't be able to make it here.

If you do not have at least $10-12,000 you seriously should reconsider coming here until you've saved up that amount. Or you'd better come alone first and bring your family later once when your financial situation has been stabilized.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

clubcanada said:
you should bring at least enough money to bridge 6 months. For toronto I'd estimate around $2000 per month (bottom) for a family, which would be a 1-BR apartment outside toronto (e.g. mississauga or scarborough) and does not include insurance, school/school items, clothes nor any luxury items such as a car, cable, savings, outside dining etc. and is limited to internet (6GB), pre-paid phone, etc. In addition, you should have enough money to be able to buy a return ticket just in case you won't be able to make it here.

If you do not have at least $10-12,000 you seriously should reconsider coming here until you've saved up that amount. Or you'd better come alone first and bring your family later once when your financial situation has been stabilized.
Assuming the OP is coming as Skilled worker, he has to show $20,654 for a family of 4 when he and his family "land"

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
thank you very much Clubcanada and PMM for your highly informative comments. Instead of just pulling the leg, you provided some factual information.

I am a bit confused about the money to be carried along. As per my knowledge, if one carries over CAD 10000, it will be taxed but as per PMM, i will need to carry over 20000 cad. needs some clarification. is this amount to be as cash or in the bank. and do the officials at the airport really check the bank balance?

thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coke14 said:
I am a bit confused about the money to be carried along. As per my knowledge, if one carries over CAD 10000, it will be taxed but as per PMM, i will need to carry over 20000 cad. needs some clarification. is this amount to be as cash or in the bank. and do the officials at the airport really check the bank balance?

thanks
No tax on any amount of money you bring into Canada. It can be cash, bank draft or in a Canadian bank. Sure officers would ask you how much you are bringing at landing.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
It's not going to be taxed nor does it have to be brought in cash. You can have it on a foreign bank account but need to bring some kind of 'official' proof that you own the money.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
is there a minimum amount that has to be shown to officials at the airport. i think this condition is for issuing the visa only but once you get it does it still needs to be adhered to? if really i must, then what is that magical amount?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coke14 said:
is there a minimum amount that has to be shown to officials at the airport. i think this condition is for issuing the visa only but once you get it does it still needs to be adhered to? if really i must, then what is that magical amount?
PMM already quoted the minimum amount of $20,654. You must show this amount or you might be refused to land.

BTW, room prices at http://www.sunnynewcomer.com/ in Toronto looks reasonable. Utilities, cable and internet are included in the rent.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
you really start confusing me.... what do you think was the financial proof for you were asked during the PR application process?

Air1220

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
coke14 said:
CBSA officials do ask about POF and can also ask you to show the same.

As per the information on this forum...if you are travelling from countries like India/Pakistan...you better don't take local bank statements...you may carry cash /TC's/Bank Draft or may also open Canadian Bank account while in India (But make sure you get the bank statement before boarding)

Magical Figure: As mentioned by PMM :Minimum CAD20,654 for a family of four.

Good Luck,

AiR :)

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
clubcanada said:
you really start confusing me.... what do you think was the financial proof for you were asked during the PR application process?
I have already shown this much of bank balance while applying and now the medicals are in process.

I borrowed a part of this amount from others and once the medicals got rolling and they requested for passports, i thought CHC is done with the bank balance part. So, I returned back what i borrowed and to add to my woes, i spent a lot on shopping from the remainder amount.

At present what i have is less than the magic figure. Will CHC check the balance once again before stamping the visa or they will now check the balance at the airport.
I will start planning accordingly. Please guide

thanks

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
steaky said:
PMM already quoted the minimum amount of $20,654. You must show this amount or you might be refused to land.

BTW, room prices at http://www.sunnynewcomer.com/ in Toronto looks reasonable. Utilities, cable and internet are included in the rent.
No doubt, the facilities they provide are very useful for the new comers but $800 seems a bit on the higher side especially when you take into account the fact that they are gonna charge you for their add-on facilities like helping in opening bank accounts etc.

i am looking for an accomodation in the range of $700 inclusive of the utilities, for a couple with two kids (one bedroom with bathroom and kitchen) somewhere around toronto... preferably, one like in the given website, people who can help out during the first few days.

thanks