+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting + 3 months since test/interview to DM. Anyone else?

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
No fingerprint, we have absolutely routine case. The officer shown us a date of application and told about processing time until May 2018.

Yes, in Jan. Me and my husband called IRCC and got the answer "everything is ok, no any documents are needed, just wait".
What I notice is the simpler the application is the longer it’s take or they just put it in a corner and forget about it don’t call them send a webform inquiry.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Can you give a clue, please, what is a webform?
It’s like calling and asking for information but instead it’s a form that send information to IRRC it’s like sending an email letting them know it’s been over a year since you send your application and what ever you want to say to them concerning your application sometimes they get back to you in 48 hrs. Try googling IRCC webform and you will find the website.

Reactions: bslk

maob12

Star Member
Apr 9, 2018
we are getting closer to 12months process time, when are you planning to contact them btw did you request your GSCM notes?
I sent them a web form a week ago. I kind of regret doing that cz i know it wont change anything. I didn't need to order the notes because last time i contacted them by phone, the agent told me that literally everything is complete on my file. Test is done, both types of security clearances are received and finished. She literally told me that all that's left to do is for an agent from the office to pick up my file and see that everything is done and then set me up with an oath date.

I find it really silly that these things are not automated, like how does the system not signal to the processing agent that person X passed all the requirements and needs to proceed to the next step?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I sent them a web form a week ago. I kind of regret doing that cz i know it wont change anything. I didn't need to order the notes because last time i contacted them by phone, the agent told me that literally everything is complete on my file. Test is done, both types of security clearances are received and finished. She literally told me that all that's left to do is for an agent from the office to pick up my file and see that everything is done and then set me up with an oath date.

I find it really silly that these things are not automated, like how does the system not signal to the processing agent that person X passed all the requirements and needs to proceed to the next step?
Good report in the first paragraph.

In the second paragraph, not sure what you expect to be automated. As the call centre agent explained, "all that's left to do is for an agent from the office to pick up my file and see that everything is done and then set me up with an oath date." Obviously, you are in the responsible agent's queue to do that. Like standing in line for a cashier in the grocery store. Does the cashier need notification you are in the queue? The cashier will get to you when done with the person in front of you in the queue, and that individual will be processed when the person in front of him or her is done. That is how a queue works.

Nothing silly about waiting in queue. That is how a queue works.

Sure, there is some frustration surfacing due to how long the queues are these days. Obviously, more than a few are irritated due to waiting their turn in line. Nature of the beast. Particularly so given the huge surge in applications made in the last quarter of 2017.

Reminder: bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. Not known for speed. Especially not when there is a rush.

Try some zen and enjoy the journey. Or, simply wait. Amounts to the same. Oath to be scheduled. Celebrations to follow accordingly, per individual preference.

Reactions: EstherBarros

maob12

Star Member
Apr 9, 2018
Good report in the first paragraph.

In the second paragraph, not sure what you expect to be automated. As the call centre agent explained, "all that's left to do is for an agent from the office to pick up my file and see that everything is done and then set me up with an oath date." Obviously, you are in the responsible agent's queue to do that. Like standing in line for a cashier in the grocery store. Does the cashier need notification you are in the queue? The cashier will get to you when done with the person in front of you in the queue, and that individual will be processed when the person in front of him or her is done. That is how a queue works.

Nothing silly about waiting in queue. That is how a queue works.

Sure, there is some frustration surfacing due to how long the queues are these days. Obviously, more than a few are irritated due to waiting their turn in line. Nature of the beast. Particularly so given the huge surge in applications made in the last quarter of 2017.

Reminder: bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. Not known for speed. Especially not when there is a rush.

Try some zen and enjoy the journey. Or, simply wait. Amounts to the same. Oath to be scheduled. Celebrations to follow accordingly, per individual preference.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. It DOES NOT work like a queue at all. Back when i was waiting for my PR status, the processing time was also 12 months, I contacted them at 10 months and they said everything is still within processing time. Then 14 months went by and i called again, the agent's response was, and i still remember it word for word, "Your file has been complete for quite some time but no one has updated it yet". This means that files to tend to be forgotten even though they are complete. If you read comments from this forum, there are countless examples of people going over the 12 months limit and then as soon as they contact them, they move to the next step within 2-3 weeks.

On second thoughts, i guess u can compare this to a queue at the cash, if the cashier took a break with an indefinite time of return.

I am not mad at all, i am happy that my file is complete and there are no issues as im sure a lot of other people cannot say the same, all im saying is, this can be done in a more efficient way.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
That doesn't make a lot of sense. It DOES NOT work like a queue at all. Back when i was waiting for my PR status, the processing time was also 12 months, I contacted them at 10 months and they said everything is still within processing time. Then 14 months went by and i called again, the agent's response was, and i still remember it word for word, "Your file has been complete for quite some time but no one has updated it yet". This means that files to tend to be forgotten even though they are complete. If you read comments from this forum, there are countless examples of people going over the 12 months limit and then as soon as they contact them, they move to the next step within 2-3 weeks.

On second thoughts, i guess u can compare this to a queue at the cash, if the cashier took a break with an indefinite time of return.

I am not mad at all, i am happy that my file is complete and there are no issues as im sure a lot of other people cannot say the same, all im saying is, this can be done in a more efficient way.

"Your file has been complete for quite some time but no one has updated it yet". This means that files to tend to be forgotten even though they are complete.

The context was the PR visa application process. I have not followed those processes in nearly a decade.

The first sentence could easily arise in the context of a citizenship application. Because the file is sitting in a queue waiting for the responsible processing agent or Citizenship Officer to take the next step. It is not "forgotten." Not remembered either. Just one more file in the system, in a stream of nearly a quarter million overall, one more file among hundreds or thousands in the particular local office system.

Just because the applicant cannot physically see the files/applicants in line in front of his or her application does not mean the cashier is on an extended break.

If you read comments from this forum, there are countless examples of people going over the 12 months limit and then as soon as they contact them, they move to the next step within 2-3 weeks.

Actually there is a finite number which can be counted. And not that many actually. Many, yes, perhaps scores. But the number who report contact after contact, and still no imminent action, far outnumber the number reporting action taken sometime soon after making contact. Most of the latter, a few dozens among THOUSANDS of applications concurrently moving to the next step (such as being scheduled for the oath), are probably coincidental and the same action was likely going to happen on the same schedule regardless the contact.

Yes, IRCC is a bureaucracy, a big bureaucracy, one of Canada's biggest bureaucracies. And, of course, bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. It is indeed quite likely SOME applications, a very small percentage (which can add up to a fairly large number of individuals considering it is a small percentage of nearly a quarter million or so at any given time), get hung up in-between actions and are not in a queue a processing agent will deal with in due course, and for which intervention can trigger action. BUT the main thing is that even when it goes beyond a year (or significantly more this year given the late 2017 surge and likely longer processing times now), the VAST MAJORITY of applicants have NO NEED to WORRY, NONE. IRCC will get to the next step in the process in due course. No need to worry the application has been forgotten, or shelved, or has fallen into a crack in the system. Odds are very high all is well and all the applicant needs to do is WAIT, WAIT and WATCH for communication from IRCC, and respond accordingly.

Problem for many is they cannot see where in the queue they are. Conversations in this forum tend to incite unrealistic expectations. At any given time the applicant could be the next in line or, in the particular local office, still have a hundred or so in line in front of him or her. The call centre agents cannot see where in the queue a particular applicant is any better than the fortune tellers on West Dundas. Even the processing agent handling the files does not actually see the queue. The agent opens a file, spends fifteen or forty minutes on it (I do not know what the standard time is for processing any particular step . . . less than an hour and perhaps well less than an hour for most steps, I'm guessing), takes that step (including actions taken to notify the applicant, as appropriate), and then opens the next file in the queue, whichever one it is.

THE MAIN REASON THIS IS IMPORTANT IS TO AVOID FEEDING THE FRENZY OF UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS RIFE IN THIS FORUM.

Again, the vast majority of qualified applicants have no need to do anything other than WAIT, WAIT and WATCH for communication from IRCC, and respond accordingly. That is it. No need to worry their application will take longer if they do not contact IRCC.

Your emotions, mad or not, aside, my observations are not really much for you. They are an effort to emphasize how things work, that the process is working, and thus to calm the anxiety of scores of other applicants, to assure them all is well (almost everyone for whom all is not well knows it, and at least roughly knows why), no need to be worried, no need to fret about getting through to the call centre. All they need to do is relax and wait and watch for notice from IRCC.

This is particularly important to understand this year, since it appears quite likely a lot of applicants will indeed see longer processing timelines than those seen since 2015 or so (going back to when TWO years was rather common).

Reactions: EstherBarros

maob12

Star Member
Apr 9, 2018
"Your file has been complete for quite some time but no one has updated it yet". This means that files to tend to be forgotten even though they are complete.

The context was the PR visa application process. I have not followed those processes in nearly a decade.

The first sentence could easily arise in the context of a citizenship application. Because the file is sitting in a queue waiting for the responsible processing agent or Citizenship Officer to take the next step. It is not "forgotten." Not remembered either. Just one more file in the system, in a stream of nearly a quarter million overall, one more file among hundreds or thousands in the particular local office system.

Just because the applicant cannot physically see the files/applicants in line in front of his or her application does not mean the cashier is on an extended break.

If you read comments from this forum, there are countless examples of people going over the 12 months limit and then as soon as they contact them, they move to the next step within 2-3 weeks.

Actually there is a finite number which can be counted. And not that many actually. Many, yes, perhaps scores. But the number who report contact after contact, and still no imminent action, far outnumber the number reporting action taken sometime soon after making contact. Most of the latter, a few dozens among THOUSANDS of applications concurrently moving to the next step (such as being scheduled for the oath), are probably coincidental and the same action was likely going to happen on the same schedule regardless the contact.

Yes, IRCC is a bureaucracy, a big bureaucracy, one of Canada's biggest bureaucracies. And, of course, bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. It is indeed quite likely SOME applications, a very small percentage (which can add up to a fairly large number of individuals considering it is a small percentage of nearly a quarter million or so at any given time), get hung up in-between actions and are not in a queue a processing agent will deal with in due course, and for which intervention can trigger action. BUT the main thing is that even when it goes beyond a year (or significantly more this year given the late 2017 surge and likely longer processing times now), the VAST MAJORITY of applicants have NO NEED to WORRY, NONE. IRCC will get to the next step in the process in due course. No need to worry the application has been forgotten, or shelved, or has fallen into a crack in the system. Odds are very high all is well and all the applicant needs to do is WAIT, WAIT and WATCH for communication from IRCC, and respond accordingly.

Problem for many is they cannot see where in the queue they are. Conversations in this forum tend to incite unrealistic expectations. At any given time the applicant could be the next in line or, in the particular local office, still have a hundred or so in line in front of him or her. The call centre agents cannot see where in the queue a particular applicant is any better than the fortune tellers on West Dundas. Even the processing agent handling the files does not actually see the queue. The agent opens a file, spends fifteen or forty minutes on it (I do not know what the standard time is for processing any particular step . . . less than an hour and perhaps well less than an hour for most steps, I'm guessing), takes that step (including actions taken to notify the applicant, as appropriate), and then opens the next file in the queue, whichever one it is.

THE MAIN REASON THIS IS IMPORTANT IS TO AVOID FEEDING THE FRENZY OF UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS RIFE IN THIS FORUM.

Again, the vast majority of qualified applicants have no need to do anything other than WAIT, WAIT and WATCH for communication from IRCC, and respond accordingly. That is it. No need to worry their application will take longer if they do not contact IRCC.

Your emotions, mad or not, aside, my observations are not really much for you. They are an effort to emphasize how things work, that the process is working, and thus to calm the anxiety of scores of other applicants, to assure them all is well (almost everyone for whom all is not well knows it, and at least roughly knows why), no need to be worried, no need to fret about getting through to the call centre. All they need to do is relax and wait and watch for notice from IRCC.

This is particularly important to understand this year, since it appears quite likely a lot of applicants will indeed see longer processing timelines than those seen since 2015 or so (going back to when TWO years was rather common).

I am not disagreeing with you, i understand the way it works. Maybe i did not explain my point of view well enough. All i'm saying is, why do files that have had all the check marks necessary to complete the application, have to be in the same pile as other files who need a lot more attention for that specific agent? Why is the system not better at handling this? I absolutely understand why it is taking longer than usual, especially in the Mississauga office. If you think about it, there has been a surge right after C-6 kicked in, and then on top of that add the refugee and asylum seekers crisis, no wonder the office is overloaded.

Again, i am not worried at all, i am not even anxious as i know my application is done and my oath will be coming sooner or later. BUT, what i am annoyed by, is how inefficient the current way of handling applications really is. I just think a better algorithm can save a lot of time for agents and have them focus on other candidates who need more attention. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree with you that a lot of people here have unrealistic expectations, but hey i think that's why most of them are here in the first place.

HFAMH

Star Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hi all. I have done my test for over 4 months ago. I had an ATIP 1 month ago and it showed that I passed prohibition and waiting for security checks. But a week ago I called IRCC and they said both prohibition and security are now underway. Do you have any idea why this has happened?
Thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
But a week ago I called IRCC and they said both prohibition and security are now underway.
It is possible that there are indeed referrals to update the clearances. More likely the call centre was parroting an essentially-no-problem-just-wait response to get callers off the line more quickly.

ATIP and call centre calls are generally useless exercises UNLESS there is a particular need or reason for them . . . and indeed, there are many who have real issues and real questions and these tools are useful for them, which is why it is so UNFAIR for applicants who have no real issues, no real questions, who are just anxious for the process to move forward, to bog down the call centre making it more difficult for those who have real questions to get through.

Unless you know there is a reason to worry, odds are very good there is no reason to worry. Like tens of thousands, literally TENS of THOUSANDS of others, all you need to do is WAIT, WAIT and WATCH for NOTICE from IRCC, and respond accordingly. Notice could come next week, next month, or it might take a long while, or even a very long while.

Efficiency standards:

The accusation that IRCC is inefficiently processing citizenship applications is all too casually thrown around with little or no evidence to support it.

Efficiency is a relative concept dependent on many factors, but in regards which cost/effort expended per outcome result looms far more importantly than the timeline. The most efficient process will expend the least resources to accomplish the best results. Measuring best results depends on priorities. Accuracy and fairness are undoubtedly far, far more important in the assessment of citizenship processing than HOW LONG it takes. Indeed, how long it takes probably has a relatively low priority compared to other markers or measures.

Processing citizenship applications is not akin to calculating the number of widgets produced per hour on an assembly line. In particular, a quantity/time measure is far, far less important than a quality (especially in terms of facilitating a positive result for those who are qualified and a negative outcome for those who are not) versus cost (human and financial resources) calculation.

Except for the narcissistic individual, for whom the timeline looms disproportionately important, his or her timeline in particular. There is a lot of "Hey, I am qualified, grant me citizenship soon" attitude rampant in the forum. I get it that people are anxious. For some there are real dollars to be counted, especially among those for whom a Canadian passport can help advance their career, and the sooner the better. But individual priorities are not necessarily concurrent with government objectives.

While I am not privy to the particular mental state of those who manage the citizenship application process at IRCC, my guess is that the timeline is of secondary importance. As I have said elsewhere, this is a process which will result in the granting of status for a LIFETIME, potentially a HALF CENTURY or more. How long it takes is important to individuals, yes, no doubt, but in the overall scheme of things there are other more pressing, more important priorities.

That is, while time is a factor in assessing the efficiency of a process, for some processes there are other far more important factors, and I'd submit especially a process like granting status, citizenship, FOR LIFE, is one.

Bottom-line: it all adds up to waiting.