+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa for parents in canada

aayush20

Dec 4, 2016
Applied for visitor visa for my father, he got his biometrics done and after the biometrics, the VAC took his passport. Is it common after the biometrics started that the VAC takes the passport immediately after biometrics?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Applied for visitor visa for my father, he got his biometrics done and after the biometrics, the VAC took his passport. Is it common after the biometrics started that the VAC takes the passport immediately after biometrics?
Did your dad submit a paper application? If yes, then his passport was required as part of the application package

Nitulapointe

Star Member
Jan 28, 2016
India
Need urgent help!!! My father retired last year(about 6 months ago), just wanted to know if it would be ok for him to apply TRV??? I want to invite my father and mother to visit me for 2 weeks .. Please help.. He doesn't have any other source of income but own the house he lives in and has about $10,000 CAD in his account.

arte

Star Member
Oct 22, 2018
Hello! I got my Canada PR approved recently, currently live in the US and plan to relocate to Canada in 5 months. My mom wants to visit us in the USA (she has 10year US visa), help us out in the move, accompany us to Canada and help with our toddler while we settle in the new jobs.

How early can she apply for her Canada tourist visa? For eg: she will come in June to the US, stay with us for a month here and then come to Canada and stay with us for 2 months. Is it okay if she volunteers to say in her application she wants to help us out in the move?

I appreciate any input you can offer.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello! I got my Canada PR approved recently, currently live in the US and plan to relocate to Canada in 5 months. My mom wants to visit us in the USA (she has 10year US visa), help us out in the move, accompany us to Canada and help with our toddler while we settle in the new jobs.
Generally speaking, it is not advisable to mention about *accompanying you to Canada* (it would seem like she is a pseudo-PR = Long-stay visitor)..... nor mentioning about *help with your toddler while you settle in the new jobs* (that could be considered as working illegally as a visitor even though it is unpaid.

Do keep her visit to spending time with you and your family, sightseeing/tourism (with a detailed day-by-day itinerary with expense estimates for her visit), etc. Visit duration: Max 3-4 weeks, not two months nor a flexible, open date visit.

How early can she apply for her Canada tourist visa? For eg: she will come in June to the US, stay with us for a month here and then come to Canada and stay with us for 2 months. Is it okay if she volunteers to say in her application she wants to help us out in the move?

I appreciate any input you can offer.
It's best to apply from a country where she can demonstrate the strongest ties: Employment/business/pension, property ownership, dependent family members, previous travel, good financial situation, etc.

As she has a US B1/B2 visa, she can apply under the CAN+ program for an expedited decision (assuming she has an Indian passport). She must submit evidence of her strong ties + her finances even if it is not required for CAN+

Reactions: arte

arte

Star Member
Oct 22, 2018
Generally speaking, it is not advisable to mention about *accompanying you to Canada* (it would seem like she is a pseudo-PR = Long-stay visitor)..... nor mentioning about *help with your toddler while you settle in the new jobs* (that could be considered as working illegally as a visitor even though it is unpaid.

Do keep her visit to spending time with you and your family, sightseeing/tourism (with a detailed day-by-day itinerary with expense estimates for her visit), etc. Visit duration: Max 3-4 weeks, not two months nor a flexible, open date visit.

It's best to apply from a country where she can demonstrate the strongest ties: Employment/business/pension, property ownership, dependent family members, previous travel, good financial situation, etc.

As she has a US B1/B2 visa, she can apply under the CAN+ program for an expedited decision (assuming she has an Indian passport). She must submit evidence of her strong ties + her finances even if it is not required for CAN+
Thank you so much for your prompt response..! This is truly helpful. I will keep in mind all the pointers you provided. I had no idea about CAN+ program. Any links you may share; where I can learn more about this.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your prompt response..! This is truly helpful. I will keep in mind all the pointers you provided. I had no idea about CAN+ program. Any links you may share; where I can learn more about this.
Here are the Visa Office instructions for India applicants:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5881E.pdf

Both online and paper submissions are considered for CAN+. Do use the same TRV application form.

For paper apps: Submit her passport which has the US visa + request the VFS staff to consider her application under CAN+ processing.

For online: Scan her US visa + entry stamps and include this in the cover letter. Also, mention that she is applying under CAN+

Reactions: arte

arte

Star Member
Oct 22, 2018
Here are the Visa Office instructions for India applicants:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5881E.pdf

Both online and paper submissions are considered for CAN+. Do use the same TRV application form.

For paper apps: Submit her passport which has the US visa + request the VFS staff to consider her application under CAN+ processing.

For online: Scan her US visa + entry stamps and include this in the cover letter. Also, mention that she is applying under CAN+
Many thanks for your input on this. We will go for CAN+ program and see how it goes. She has some funds (liquid cash) in her account, she gets monthly pension from my late father, she has a business with all the paperwork and tax returns. It looks like; I can still pay for her trip even if I am not in Canada. Also, she can apply under "Visit family & friends" not on "tourism". My dilemma in choosing the option was: she will have to answer the question "do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or PR"? She has to answer YES and then how can she say she is applying for "Tourism"..?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Many thanks for your input on this. We will go for CAN+ program and see how it goes. She has some funds (liquid cash) in her account, she gets monthly pension from my late father, she has a business with all the paperwork and tax returns. It looks like; I can still pay for her trip even if I am not in Canada. Also, she can apply under "Visit family & friends" not on "tourism". My dilemma in choosing the option was: she will have to answer the question "do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or PR"? She has to answer YES and then how can she say she is applying for "Tourism"..?
If possible, she must apply a few months after you land as a PR.

If her current ties to her home country are exceptionally strong + her previous travel to visa-required countries (including the US) was for short stays, not returning quickly after each visit.... then she can attempt a TRV before you land. It would eventually depend on her visa paperwork

ns_tiara

Feb 20, 2019
Hello,

I am a permanent resident, trying to apply for visitor visa for my parents.
The checklist mentions a 'Representative's submission letter' as 'required'. Do I need to submit this or is this for paid representatives like immigration consultants?

Reactions: Sule2017

tp.2015

Jun 9, 2017
Hi,
I have PR and have been in Canada for 6 months and will be filing for TRV for my Mother and Father. While filling the application on CIC website I do not see any option to upload the Invitation letter from my side(PR holder) or the proof of funds /Employemnt letter related to me. Application is only asking for proof of funds for my mother and father only.

please suggest where should i upload the documents related to invitation letter and my proof of funds.

tdhillon

Jul 4, 2017
Hello all,

I am applying for my parents tourist visa for Canada, and want to show my grand-mother as a tie to return back, in order to present a strong case.
Do someone knows, what kind of letter or document we have to make ?

Thank You :)