+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for my wife

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
I also own property in America (Arizona) A home I have rented and car does that impact anything?

Last edited:

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
One more item I want to ask. Due to the local laws we do not share a bank account (I am still a temporary ukrainian resident and can't share a account with a citizen until I'm a perm resident) but I do wire her money regularly. Is this something I should mention or just upload 4 months of both of our bank statements.

Also expenses for the letter. We plan to do some heavy shopping on day 3 or 4. Clothing etc is much cheaper in Canada than Ukraine so we will bring back a lot. Do I put this in the expenses part of the letter or should expenses just be what we expect to have to he basics. Food, hotel, car rental etc

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
Don't forget I live with her in Ukraine and I will go with her. I'm confused about a letter of invitation since I'm not really inviting her to come see me we simply want to go to Ontario to visit and see Canada. It's actually places I haven't been to ether. I haven't been to Niagria falls or anywhere in Ontario but Toronto.

She has plenty of dollars in her account. I send her a regular amount so it's not really a issue for her to pay I believe she had about 3500 US dollars in her account.

I see
Just write a letter with the real testimony and your feelings

Those who are planning to come to Canada to visit a relative or a friend should include in their application a letter of invitation from the host. There is no strict template, however there are certain details that are mandatory to be included in the invitation letter.

Information about the host in Canada

1. Identification details: full name, date of birth, status in Canada
  2. Contact details: complete Canadian address, phone number
  3. Occupation
  4. Your relationship with the invited person
  5. Details of the family unit, including names and dates of birth of the spouse and dependants

Information about the invited person :

1. Identification details: full name, date of birth
  2. Contact details: complete address, phone number
  3. The purpose of the trip
  4. How long the person is intending to stay in Canada
  5. The intended date to enter and leave Canada
  6. Details on accommodation and living expenses
You should pay special attention to this last point on accommodation and expenses as in some cases it may make a difference between a positive and negative decision on the visa application. According to section 179 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, a temporary resident must leave Canada at the end of their stay. Therefore the letter should make it clear that the invited person will contribute to their expenses. If the host commits to pay for everything, the immigration officer’s interpretation may be that because the invited person will have so many benefits in Canada he or she will not want to leave. At the same time, if the invited person has limited financial resources, sufficient financial support will have to be provided to avoid a refusal for financial reasons. It may be a challenge to find the right balance between demonstrating that the invited person will have enough money for their stay without depending too much on their host.

You should check with your local visa office whether the letter of invitation should be certified or not. Every letter of invitation must be accompanied by the host’s proof of status in Canada (for example the citizenship card, passport or permanent resident card). In some cases other supporting documents may be required (proof of host’s income and financial statements, last fiscal declaration, proof of relationship with the person being invited etc).

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
But why would we need a invitation letter. We are married, i am a Canadian citizen, my business is in Ukraine, her work is in ukraine, her daughter is staying in ukraine. Between the two of us we have about 11,000 Canadian dollars in our accounts and if I had to I could transfer more from my company.

Only person living in Canada I know is my dad and he's in Alberta and we won't visit him so he's not really inviting us.

I would think a cover letter explaining this as Bryanna mentioned a template for is enough. I'm just trying to make sure we don't make a major mistake as I understand it's not the easisst situation to get a visa to Canada. With that said the CEO of my company just got a business visa to Canada and he got it for 4 years to end of his passport so I know it's not impossible.

They ask you to give them a letter of invitation from someone in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp
ut a

Crissy1

Aug 31, 2017
Hi Jtpolzin. I dont think an invitation letter from you is absolutely necessary, since you do not reside in Canada. I recently went through the TRV process myself and I'm also in the same position as your wife. My husband, three daughter and myself live in the Caribbean. He and my daughters are all Canadian citizens, and I had no problem getting a TRV until my passport expires. We own a business registered in my husband's name, so I submitted proof of that, proof of family and vehicle insurance, and all our proof of assets. He didn't provide me with any invitation; in fact hubby had no direct involvement whatsoever in my visa application, other than our proof of relationship in the form of marriage cert. I also submitted a well-detailed letter of explanation stating our plans for the visit, a detailed itinerary, proof of funds and proposed hotel stay. It also helped that we visited the US a few times as a family, so i gave proof of that. I got my visa within 5 working days.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
As you and your wife won't be meeting your dad (no invitation letter from him), she could apply as a Tourist. She won't need an invitation letter (not from you) + she must include provisional hotel bookings + a detailed day-by-day itinerary with expense estimates.

Expense estimates:
Local travel + sightseeing/entry fees + meals + incidentals + a bit of surplus + hotel + airfare. It's not necessary to include shopping expenses.

You must focus/include evidence that you won't remain in Canada as you have work and other commitments to return to the Ukraine. This would imply that your wife must return with you.

Also, do include your marriage certificate. Documents must be in English or translated into English by a certified translator.

You can include joint bank statements, credit card statements (she can bring these cards with her), other financial investments (liquid and locked-in to indicate her overall financial situation). Do include a one-sentence explanation if you transfer money between accounts/deposit cash to explain the source of these funds, if any.

Your property/rented home/car in the US won't matter unless you and your wife intend to visit the US after your Canada holiday.... or the rent is deposited in a joint bank account

Reactions: GlobetrotterNG

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think her chances are good if you prepare a convincing application backed by solid evidence of ties + reasons to return to Ukraine (yours + hers).

She must state her previous US refusal in the TRV application form (Background Information section).

You could include 1-2 reasons to return by a specific date for work, personal reasons, another holiday/visit scheduled to a third country, etc

You may also want to see the Document Checklist + Visa Office instructions for Ukraine here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp?countrySelect=UA#applications

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
Ok good. I already opened the online application and have been collecting documents. I really hope this goes through I mean we can go elsewhere this fall another trip to Europe but I would like to bring her to Canada and then once there to USA.

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
One last question about building expenses. For the daily mean expenses should I just include a average or try and plan restaurants out? I want to bring her to some nice places but not positive which days yet but I think an average of $25 a dinner and $15 for lunch per person is reasonable since most hotels include breakfast. And maybe an extra $30 for coffee and snacks during the day. This would be $110 cdn per day for food. I think this is reasonable.

Rest is really easy to estimate, flights and car are booked. Gas is easy to estimate, as is sight seeing,

Guess what I'm asking is what figures do they find reasonable. I have a total budget of about 4,000 euros or 6,000 cdn dollars for this trip including shopping so maybe 4,000 for the trip itself for 8 nights does this seem reasonable?

Also this letter needs to be written from her prespective even if I write it correct?

Last edited:

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
One last last thing. I am heavily involved with the local lions club. I'm their treasurer and in December we have a big fundraiser the presidents ball in Kiev I'm expected to attend along with monthly meetings right before and shortly after our proposed trip. Is this good to mention.

Also with the relationship is it good to include any pictures. I have plenty of me with all three of us and me with sveta and me with karina( the daughter) I am very close to her daughter )

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
This can help:
Example:
Day 1, Thursday, August 31, 2017:
Activity - Travel to Toronto by car from ABCD reaching Toronto before 10pm.
Est. Expenses Gas and Tolls CAD XXX + Food CAD 35 x 2 Adults = CAD XXX

Day 2, Friday, September 1, 2017:
Staying in and spending time at home with our host
Est. Expenses = CAD 0

Day 3, Saturday, September 2, 2017:
Sightseeing - Downtown Toronto visiting places like CN Tower, Harbourfront Centre, etc
Est. Expenses CN Tower Entry CAD XX x 2 Adults + Lunch CAD XX x 2 Adults + Coffee CAD XX x 2 Adults = CAD XXX

Day 4, Sunday, September 3, 2017:
Activity - Visit to Niagara Falls for the whole day along with the family
Est. Expenses All meals CAD XX x 2 Adults + Gas and Tolls CAD XXX = CAD XXX

Her estimates must be for only one adult (herself) as you are not applying for a visa

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Guess what I'm asking is what figures do they find reasonable. I have a total budget of about 4,000 euros or 6,000 cdn dollars for this trip including shopping so maybe 4,000 for the trip itself for 8 nights does this seem reasonable?
Does it include airfare + hotels?

Also this letter needs to be written from her prespective even if I write it correct?
Yes, from her perspective. Do keep it short and crisp, in a point format, all amounts in both CAD/Ukrainian currency.

Property valuation (for her share) as per the current market rate (indicative).

One last last thing. I am heavily involved with the local lions club. I'm their treasurer and in December we have a big fundraiser the presidents ball in Kiev I'm expected to attend along with monthly meetings right before and shortly after our proposed trip. Is this good to mention.
Perfect. Do include evidence.

Also with the relationship is it good to include any pictures. I have plenty of me with all three of us and me with sveta and me with karina( the daughter) I am very close to her daughter )
Yes, you can. A couple of pictures.

She'll need to include copies of her daughter's birth certificate/passport + family card/proof the daughter lives with her + highlight the fact that the daughter is a minor (if it's the case). Again, all documents must be translated into English, if required

Jtpolzin

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
Here was my expense section I worked on today ... its a little different format than you had but does it work?

Everything below is confirmed ... the plane tickets the reservations and Airbnb ... I guess I will lose money if they say no but I hope they dont.

Are you saying I should half all of these?

Here is the proposed itinerary of our trip to Canada

- Duration of stay November 8, 2017 until November 16, 2017

- Flight information all times are local. On November 8, 2017

o Flight # 1491 on Lufthansa depart Kiev, Ukraine at 1:50 arrives in Frankfurt, Germany at 3:40

o Flight # 6780 on Lufthansa depart Frankfurt, Germany at 5:10 pm arrive in Toronto, Canada 7:40 PM

- First night we will stay in Toronto at Courtyard Marriott Toronto near the Pearson Airport. $140

- Next three nights, November 9, 2017 – November 13, 2017 we will stay near Niagara Falls at Carbonnel Bed and Breakfast $97

- We plan on Spending November 9th, 2017 at the Niagara Falls and November 10, and 11 touring the wine country in the Niagara Region.

- On November 13, 2017, we will head to Toronto, ON where we will spend 3 nights at a City Center Airbnb rental on King street. $90

- Return flight information On November 16, 2017 we will depart Canada on

o Flight #6791 on Lufthansa depart Toronto, Canada at 8:20 PM arrives in Frankfurt, Germany at 10:00 am on Friday November 17th

o Flight #2544 on Lufthansa departs Frankfurt, Germany 11:50am and will arrive in Kiev, Ukraine at 3:05 pm

- Estimate of expenses are as follows (In Canadian Dollars)

- Flight $1,468

- Car rental Hertz $243

- Hotels

o Courtyard - $148 plus HST and Taxes = $167.24

o Carbonnel Bed and Breakfast $97 x 4 plus HST and taxes = $438.44

o Airbnb $90 x 3 = 270

- Total hotel cost $875.68

- Food budget

o Breakfast $10 per person for 3 days = $60 (Breakfast is included in all but last 3 days)

o Lunch $15 per person for 8 days = $240

o Dinner $25 per person for 9 days = $450

o Misc expenses for food is $30 per day for 8 days = $240

- Total food budget is $990

- Entertainment and sightseeing budget

o Wine tours $250

o Niagara tour $99 each = $198

o Toronto city pass $92 each = $183

- Total entertainment budget $631

- Fuel @ 1.30 a liter total (656 total KM driven, 10 l/100 km = 131 L purchased @ 1.3) = $171

- Incidentals at $20 per day = $160

- Total budget for trip $4,538.68

This can help:
Example:
Day 1, Thursday, August 31, 2017:
Activity - Travel to Toronto by car from ABCD reaching Toronto before 10pm.
Est. Expenses Gas and Tolls CAD XXX + Food CAD 35 x 2 Adults = CAD XXX

Day 2, Friday, September 1, 2017:
Staying in and spending time at home with our host
Est. Expenses = CAD 0

Day 3, Saturday, September 2, 2017:
Sightseeing - Downtown Toronto visiting places like CN Tower, Harbourfront Centre, etc
Est. Expenses CN Tower Entry CAD XX x 2 Adults + Lunch CAD XX x 2 Adults + Coffee CAD XX x 2 Adults = CAD XXX

Day 4, Sunday, September 3, 2017:
Activity - Visit to Niagara Falls for the whole day along with the family
Est. Expenses All meals CAD XX x 2 Adults + Gas and Tolls CAD XXX = CAD XXX

Her estimates must be for only one adult (herself) as you are not applying for a visa