+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Free Countries with RTD?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Do we need visa to travel SRI LANKA on RTD? Or what is the process if anyone have experience please.
I checked on portal for boarding pass/ clearance and this is what it returns

Vancouver (BC) International Airport
Canada
Sri Lanka - LKA| September 13, 2022
cancelYou are not clear to board this flight. Please check the messages below.
See here for the full travel requirements for your flight keyboard_arrow_down

TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
  • Refugee Travel Document issued by Canada to a national of Refugee - 1951 Convention is not listed as an accepted document by Sri Lanka. Please check the document details have been entered correctly.

The6god

Jul 8, 2020
It is pretty straight forward, though lengthy.
You first go on Turkish Embassy website then fill out the forms and upload the following and take all with you to your appointment set at the end of application after submission.
1. You need money in your bank account. Just a letter from bank (stamped) that you have 5 figure Canadian dollars in your bank account is enough. No need to have a large amount of money 3 or 4 months prior to your application. I just had all the money a week before appointment. (I don't keep my money in banks)
2. Passport photo
3. Travel iteniarary including your hotel and flight reservation (do not buy just book!!!)
4. Travel insurance
5. A prepaid Canada Post envelope (you can buy from any Canada Post office at Shoppers Drug Mart)
6. Letter from your employer.
7. Photocopy of documents on the applicant’s legal status in Canada such as Permanent Resident Card, Court Decision for Convention Refugees, Work Visa, Study Visa. ( TAKE THE ORIGINALS WITH YOU but they look at them and return to you at the end of the interview).

Please note:
During the interview they will ask for all of these so do not forget to print and take everything with you including your application form. If you don't they will not process your application and you will have to come back at a later time.
You will need to pay $77 Dollars "in exact cash" to the officer.
You will be asked about your intention of travel.
When filling the application out as Convention Refugees you guys need to select "single entry visa". RTD holders will not be issued multiple entry visa. So keep this in mind.
They will issue your visa based upon your travel iteniarary so choose your flight/hotel booking wisely.
They will issue your visa from the date you start your travel plan with 3 months validity and you can stay UP TO ONE MONTH in that 3 months validity. Yes, you can change your travel plan after getting your visa but WITHIN that 3 months visa validity.
Good luck guys
Hi. The “Letter from employer”, what type of letter is it? Letter of employment?

For the travel insurance, which company will you recommend?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi. The “Letter from employer”, what type of letter is it? Letter of employment?

For the travel insurance, which company will you recommend?
Proof of employment and if you are travelling to Turkey, recommended to buy coverage from Turkiye, shop around online

Abnod

Apr 22, 2022
Hello,

does anyone here have tried applying for visa for travel to japan worth RTD and PR?

Japan has opened its boarder now for tourists, and I was thinking about traveling there around January but there no information about RTD on the embassy. I have emaild them, and now waiting for a reply.

Kimob

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto
Hi everyone,

I have a question, I have RTD but no PR card yet, I'm planning to go to Dominican Repulic, Do I need visa or not. I can come back to Canada by my RTD but my concern is entering Dominican Rep . Thanks

Reactions: Captain911

Askhar131

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a question, I have RTD but no PR card yet, I'm planning to go to Dominican Repulic, Do I need visa or not. I can come back to Canada by my RTD but my concern is entering Dominican Rep . Thanks
No need for visa to DR. But book a direct flight from toronto pearson to punta cana, DR with no layover or transit. That is what the DR consulate told me.

Here4help

Star Member
Dec 4, 2021
Hello,

does anyone here have tried applying for visa for travel to japan worth RTD and PR?

Japan has opened its boarder now for tourists, and I was thinking about traveling there around January but there no information about RTD on the embassy. I have emaild them, and now waiting for a reply.
Did you get any info? Please share

Kimob

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto
No need for visa to DR. But book a direct flight from toronto pearson to punta cana, DR with no layover or transit. That is what the DR consulate told me.
Thank you, after reaching out to different emails and getting different answers. this just came in in my inbox from DR embassy, so we good :)

Regarding your query, we would like to inform you that no visa is required for Canadian citizens and/or permanent residents for tourism purposes. Same applies to visit our country for tourism to people with Canadian Work Permit visa or student visa (only if the visa allow to re-enter Canada from abroad), Canadian Travel document, Canadian or United States tourist visa on their passports. Please advised that the following documents: Canadian permanent resident card, Canadian student or work permit visa, Canadian Travel document, Canadian or United States tourist visa must be valid (unexpired) upon arrival, during your stay and departure from the Dominican Republic.

*All nationals of countries with a valid visa or residence card of Canada, United States of America, the European Union or Great Britain, can enter our territory for tourism purposes without visa.

Reactions: Askhar131

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
I went to St Maarten in early November without Visa. No issues with boarding at all, when arriving the agent just looked at my document and stamped it. When leaving the officer asked for my PR card, i provided it and he stamped the exit and want on my way.
So far from personal experience:
Before PR : I went to Cuba, Germany and Croatia without visa
after PR : I went to St Maarten without visa

Reactions: Chimurenga 4

bfour

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
hello everyone. I got my travel document but do not have pr yet. some of my friends travelled to Serbia without visa but I sent an email to them. they replied to me that I need a visa plus I need to have PR. I really did not understand. I have another question. Can I do one stop in one of Schengen country or I also need transit visa or it depends on the country ? thank you

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Hello,
For anyone who says it's ok to land in Germany and then roam freely in the schengen space, here's an example of how dangerous this act is:

This person who holds a canadian refugee travel document (blue travel document, convention 1951), was detained in Switzerland, had to pay a fine of 650 Swiss francs (= 958.76 $CAD according to the rate of today), and most certainly was deported to Germany or Canada after that, depending on where he came from (He does not specify this in his tweet answer).

Don't play with fire, friends: It's very dangerous to expose yourself like this to penalties that can be criminal in some Schengen countries (fines to pay and simple refoulement to Germany are not the only consequences possible ) = criminal record = possible problems when you apply for Canadian citizenship.

Solution: Limit yourself to the borders of the Federal Republic of Germany if it is not possible to have a visa for another Schengen country... Or even better: completely avoid problems, and do not leave Canada before obtaining the best protection possible, better than that granted by the 1951 convention: Citizenship.