+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Free Countries with RTD?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you are simply trying to say that one can travel to multiple countries within Schengen area without a visa as long as they have a confirmation (ideally written like email) that they do not need a visa with Canadian RTD. You are saying that one does not need to return to Canada when travelling between multiple countries where the Canadian RTD allows visa free travel. This is true and makes sense. It is still important to hold tickets for onward journeys AND final return ticket to Canada from whatever RTD visa free country you intend to visit last.
Actually not true with an RTD. Germany accepts the RTD but believe France and Italy for example require a visa if have an RTD. Nobody is suggesting you need to return to Canada between travel to separate European countries. Only suggesting that free movement throughout the EU without visas is not possible with an RTD but is possible with a Canadian passport.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Was talking about travelling on a German visa. If multiple countries in the EU don’t accept the RTD I am surprised to hear that with an RTD you can apply for a Schengen visa.
Multiple Countries in EU dont accept RTD????? which are those multiple countries? My understanding is most EU countries are signatories of
1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and the 1967 Protocol that recognize RTDs giving rights to movement, among others

Unless it was a typo and you meant to say they dont recognize COI

EmA123

Nov 28, 2020
Can you please help me
My fiance was told to submit the notice of seizure for his application for rtd. How can he get it because he lost the first one and how much time it takes to get it

afacan16

Sep 21, 2021
guys I tried to contact with Embassy of Netherlands but I couldn't reach them. Does RTD need visa for Netherlands ?

Mtl123

Jul 21, 2022
Hi guys, I’m a RTD holder and will be travelling to Italy from Canada. I will be transiting through CDG airport on way there and on way back (1hr between flights each way). I applied for Schengen visa with the Italian embassy as I thought I needed one but they wrote back to me saying I did not need it. However, I am wondering if they’ll give me any trouble in France through my transit.

Appreciate the help in advance, these forums are lifesavers considering the terrible communication from embassies/airlines.

thanks !

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Hi guys, I’m a RTD holder and will be travelling to Italy from Canada. I will be transiting through CDG airport on way there and on way back (1hr between flights each way). I applied for Schengen visa with the Italian embassy as I thought I needed one but they wrote back to me saying I did not need it. However, I am wondering if they’ll give me any trouble in France through my transit.

Appreciate the help in advance, these forums are lifesavers considering the terrible communication from embassies/airlines.

thanks !
You cannot fly indirectly to Italy or Germany. If you want to use CDG you have to obtain transit visa from France and if you want to get out of CDG you need a Schengen visa. They will not let you board the plane in Canada if you don't have transit or Schengen visa for France.

Mtl123

Jul 21, 2022
You cannot fly indirectly to Italy or Germany. If you want to use CDG you have to obtain transit visa from France and if you want to get out of CDG you need a Schengen visa. They will not let you board the plane in Canada if you don't have transit or Schengen visa for France.
Thanks for the answer. It looks like I’m going to have to change my flight to a nonstop to Italy one in this case. Very annoying because when I look to apply for a France visa, my specific situation is not available. It asks me for accommodation references while in France if I try to apply for a short stay visa - but I’m only passing through so I don’t have accommodation references and it only allows me to put accommodation references from France. If I try to apply for a transit visa, Italy is not an option as my country of destination (since it’s in the Schengen group) so that’s not an option either.
Do you know if there is some sort of waiver for my unique situation or is my only option to switch my flight to a direct one?

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for the answer. It looks like I’m going to have to change my flight to a nonstop to Italy one in this case. Very annoying because when I look to apply for a France visa, my specific situation is not available. It asks me for accommodation references while in France if I try to apply for a short stay visa - but I’m only passing through so I don’t have accommodation references and it only allows me to put accommodation references from France. If I try to apply for a transit visa, Italy is not an option as my country of destination (since it’s in the Schengen group) so that’s not an option either.
Do you know if there is some sort of waiver for my unique situation or is my only option to switch my flight to a direct one?
Pretty much the only option is direct flight to Italy. If you plan to visit other Schengen countries you can land in Germany or Italy with a direct flight and drive with a rental car to other countries. You cannot use trains, planes or ferries as they check your RTD and you can get into trouble. Basically one poster here did this and enjoyed his travel around europe by driving but I personally do not recommend visiting any country without its proper Schengen visa.

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Hi
How long does it take to get an appointment from Turkey embassy in Toronto?
In December last year took me around a month. It is easy to check on their website but the appointment available dates and times are shown at the end when you have filled the application. You can randomly fill the application to get to the end to see the availabilities.

NaAzaAn

May 26, 2021
In December last year took me around a month. It is easy to check on their website but the appointment available dates and times are shown at the end when you have filled the application. You can randomly fill the application to get to the end to see the availabilities.
And then how long took to get your visa?