16-01-2014
Doc's Request.
New Police Cert. 11-02-2014
AOR Received.
Sponsor Approval 19-02-2014
Med's Done....
Nov-2013
Interview........
January 22, 2015 - Vienna - FAILED - Appealing.
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
In God's time.
zedtoronto said:
Can any knowledge person tell me if Departure Order become Deportation Order even if the person has a Certificate of Departure that they (Refugee) left Canada in less than 30 days and still require an ARC which adds 6-12 months to your waiting time for Processing.

I read somewhere they have tightened the language but only time will tell us if this equates to tighter enforcement. We were told that if we have Certificate of Departure an ARC is not required.
I have that departure document, and was told by lawyers that I still require an ARC, despite leaving within 30 days. I will also have to repay the departure fees (it was just easier that way because I needed to spend the savings we had to stock up on stuff to live in Europe - I have absolutely nothing there, in Croatia. Kinda scary.)
They told me I'd be asked to repay the departure (airline) fee right before receiving my COPR. I've also read many random threads and situations where it's stated that once a year passes since your departure, that you don't need an ARC, but upon further legal review, it's come to my attention that ALL failed refugees need one.
I know this sounds terrible but this is legit legal info from a giant law firm (and 3 other law firms I called on the side, just to make sure), so I'll take their word for it over someone else's. Hope that clears some stuff up.
BUT, you NEVER know how CIC functions, they can be a strange bunch of folks. I've also seen that some failed refugees in the past did not require an ARC. So, it's all in the air. I have no idea what to think anymore. I'm a Jan. 2014 applicant, so in a handful of months I'll let you guys know what the deal is.

A.

b4roness

Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Nov-2013
Interview........
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
In God's time.
FYI to all applicants, just thought I'd share this tidbit of info here. God forbid anyone goes through the following:

My husband has been a landed immigrant since the late 1980's. Unfortunately, his parents never applied for PR cards or citizenship for themselves and the kids (my husband and his sis).
Now, my husband applied for his PR card (first time applicant, not renewal!), and this app was sent in at the end of December 2013... after months of waiting and calling and annoying the bejeezus out of CIC, a nice Serbian lady who works for CIC down on Dundas saw my husband's application sitting on someones desk, with half of his stuff missing... she was luckily able to find half his application, but his pictures were missing so she helped him redo the entire app, get the pics done, and send it all in ASAP. She also wrote on the envelope in giant bold letters "URGENT! APPLICANT NEEDS TO TRAVEL SOON". This was forwarded around June 2014 to Ottawa, who then asked for my husband to provide tax info for the past 5 years. With all that immediately provided and sent to Ottawa, the app was finally sent to the final processing office... and just sat there... till now... despite calling them every single week for a few months... no one cared that the envelope said URGENT on it.
The entire application was sent back a few days ago, stating that a main piece of proof-of-identification was missing. It wasn't missing. CIC down on Dundas made sure that ALL the necessary documents, including the checklist, were inside the app.
In other words, CIC LOST THE DAMN DOCUMENT. AGAIN.
I haven't seen my husband in 2 full years now. To see how CIC doesn't give a damn about spousal applicants is disturbing, and downright disgusting. Not everyone goes through this, most people are lucky enough to have experienced and intellectual CIC officers work on their cases, but this is beyond depressing now.
All this info, and their screw ups will be provided as additional evidence to Vienna once they ask for it. Negligence like this should never happen to anyone.

What I'm trying to say is, please keep any and all evidence, envelopes, etc. as proof of evidence in any situation you may see unjust, in case they try to turn the tables against you. I've read enough similar situations on these forums to know that we are not the first people that this has happened to. It makes you wonder what the hiring criteria for CIC workers is. That place needs a major overhaul.

End of rant, lol.

Best of luck to you all and stay strong, no matter what. Never give up. Never let them break you down because of their own errors. Hang in there and have faith! =D

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
Ok, regarding landing at a CIC office:

When I received my COPR it expired three weeks later. I called the number on the COPR to make a landing appointment in Calgary. The waiting time was 2 months so I had no choice than driving to the border instead.

The border officer in Coutts was mad because I came to the border instead of landing in Calgary.

b4roness

Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Nov-2013
Interview........
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
In God's time.
little_apple said:
Ok, regarding landing at a CIC office:

When I received my COPR it expired three weeks later. I called the number on the COPR to make a landing appointment in Calgary. The waiting time was 2 months so I had no choice than driving to the border instead.

The border officer in Coutts was mad because I came to the border instead of landing in Calgary.
He was mad because they can't do their job properly??? That's just wonderful. Again, as stated above, who in the world hires some of these CIC officials? He/she is there to make your experience entering a new country a pleasant one, not treat you like a worthless degenerate. Did you tell him that the wait time was 2 months via Calgary? If so, I'd love to know what his response was/would be. Was he/she mad because they actually had to do their job? *facepalm*
???

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
b4roness said:
He was mad because they can't do their job properly??? That's just wonderful. Again, as stated above, who in the world hires some of these CIC officials? He/she is there to make your experience entering a new country a pleasant one, not treat you like a worthless degenerate. Did you tell him that the wait time was 2 months via Calgary? If so, I'd love to know what his response was/would be. Was he/she mad because they actually had to do their job? *facepalm*
???
My landing experience was a full nightmare. Started with 20 cm of snowfall that day (it was May 3rd!!), a grumpy border officer outside and the really mean officer inside (as I explained a few days ago). The only friendly people on that day they were the US officers when I flagpoled. Usually the Americans are the mean ones ;-)

Dusica

Jul 1, 2014
NLCAN said:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to send you a short overview of my timeline. I think this may be helpful to all of you who are still waiting for their Confirmations of Permanent Residence. I also updated it on the Vienna timeline spreadsheet (under DutchCanadian).

Medicals done: August 1, 2013
Application sent: September 6, 2013
AOR Missassauga: September 14, 2013
Sponsorship approved and sent to Vienna: September 24, 2013
AOR Vienna: not received
Vienna started processing: September 25, 2014
Decision made: October 9, 2014
COPR received in mail: October 15, 2014
Deadline for landing: October 2, 2015

I have an appointment to land on October 29, 2014. As I am in Canada right now, I do not have to cross the border and re-enter, but in some cases, this is the preferred option as it may be a faster way to get your PR.

We have received no requests for additional information, but I did send my marriage certificate and additional pictures (of the last year and particularly our wedding) in September 2014.

Congrats! Why do you say it's faster to get PR if crossing the border? I am deciding what to do, make an appointment or cross border. I'm also in Canada. Keep us posted about the appointment if you can!! Thanks

Avissa

Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21/08/2013
Med's Done....
29/07/2013
Radovan said:
Thank you all so much!!!

We first saw that our status changed on Ecas on the 26th of Sept. Then on Oct 6th we got an email for a police clearance (new one) 8th of Oct we sent it to them and then yesterday 17th of Oct we got our good news to send in the passport!!! Monday we will be sending it to Vienna! I hope all of you get Good News Soon!
Wow that's great :) thank you for sharing

madam-m

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dusica,
Did u received yr passport back from Vienna? How many days it needed to come back?how they send u,by FedEx or?
Thank u.

zedtoronto

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reply #7784 b4roness

According to government website .cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/arc.asp we don't require an ARC if he left in 30 day, I would think they would want the $1500 plane fare back though.

canada1990

Sep 12, 2014
Re: Landing in Canada question

little_apple said:
I was in Canada throughout the process as well. I live in Calgary and when I received my COPR I drove down to Coutts to land.

1. You don't need a US visa because you actually don't enter the US. You tell the US officer that you want to flagpole. He will take your passport, tell you to park and go inside. There you will sign a piece of paper that you withdraw your application to enter the US,you'll get your passport back and then they'll bring you back to the Canadian border.

2. You tell the Canadian border officer that you want to land as a PR. The officer will take your passport and US withdrawal paper and tell you to park and go inside.

3. The officer will take your COPR and tell you to sit down and wait.

4. The officer will call you to the counter and you will become a PR.

And now I tell you my story:

It was a Saturday morning and it was quite busy at the border so I had to wait around 90 minutes until I was called to the counter. My common-law partner had to sit down far away from me and I was interviewed.

My officer was a *beep* and thought I was just coming to Canada for work (Ya right. I earned more money back in Germany. Keep dreaming buddy). So he ended up questioning me for about 30 minutes. Although I was already approved by the VO Vienna he asked me all kinds of questions about our relationship, our life, our job, he didn't believe that I stopped working when my work permit expired (I did. I even left the country to go on a short holiday) and so on.

Because I could answer all of his questions without any hesitation he finally called my spouse to the counter. He then told me that I'm now a permanent resident, that I have condition 51 and I have to stay with "this guy" (pointing at my spouse) for 2 years otherwise they would deport me. Then he told my spouse that in this case they would charge him for immigration fraud. Afterwards he told me some things about the minimum days I have to live in Canada to maintain my PR status and the time when I would be able to apply for citizenship.

I was so angry how my landing went that I couldn't even smile that I just became a PR. Bad experience for sure. He was probably just pissed that he had to work in the middle of the prairie on a snowy Saturday in May.

A Filipino who was at the counter in front of me didn't receive his PR status although he had his COPR. The officer didn't believe that the Filipino answered his questions truthfully :eek: :eek: :eek:
Hello little_apple,

my question is how long do you need to stay in canada to maintain your PR status and the time when you would be able to apply for citizenship?

thank you a lot

b4roness

Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Nov-2013
Interview........
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
In God's time.
zedtoronto said:
Reply #7784 b4roness

According to government website .cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/arc.asp we don't require an ARC if he left in 30 day, I would think they would want the $1500 plane fare back though.
Omg if this is true then that's epic!!! I already sent in the ARC fee, hopefully I'll get it back when the entire process is over.
I'm gonna email my lawyer and ask them what's up with that, the ARC fee. I wanted to pay the $1500 back immediately but was told to wait until CIC asks for it.
Thanks for the heads up!!!

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........

canada1990 said:
Hello little_apple,

my question is how long do you need to stay in canada to maintain your PR status and the time when you would be able to apply for citizenship?

thank you a lot
You have to live 3 out of 5 years in Canada to maintain your PR status.

I'm allowed to apply for citizenship after 2 years of being a PR because I lived here 2 years on a work permit which counts as 1 year towards citizenship. You have to live in Canada for 3 years to be able to apply for citizenship but I think CIC wants to or will change it to 4 years

mimosa86

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

How do I create a timeline that appears on the side, beside my posts? I officially mailed in our documents! :D

Kopje

Nov 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

little_apple said:
You have to live 3 out of 5 years in Canada to maintain your PR status.

I'm allowed to apply for citizenship after 2 years of being a PR because I lived here 2 years on a work permit which counts as 1 year towards citizenship. You have to live in Canada for 3 years to be able to apply for citizenship but I think CIC wants to or will change it to 4 years
If I'm not mistaken days living abroad will also count towards your resident obligations if you are living together with your spouse abroad and your spouse is a Canadian citizen.

Kopje

Nov 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mimosa86 said:
Hi Guys,

How do I create a timeline that appears on the side, beside my posts? I officially mailed in our documents! :D
You will be able to create the timeline in your forum profile once you have reached 10 posts.