File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
It is really hard to say what timeline you can expect, but from what I have seen in other posts (this may just be my perception), applicants from Switzerland were getting their apps processed super fast, for example. I believe Netherlands, Germany and similar countries are somewhat faster than the non-visa exempt countries too, but then again, each case is different. It depends how busy they are in the next few months and how long it takes them to complete BGC, but like you said, it is a gamble, as there is no sure way to predict the completion date. You might want to find out how long it takes to get a student visa and maybe have that as a back up option if nothing seems to move forward in the next couple of months. Good luck to you. :)
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought as well. Student permits are actually processed super quickly, if the IRCC website times are to be trusted (2 weeks for Germany!). I'd prefer not to have to go that route though because it requires proving you have a LOT of money sitting in the bank (at least for us!), which shouldn't really be relevant for us anyway because he won't have to pay international tuition, I'll be covering his living expenses, etc. Anyway, can't complain at all that we have options, I'm only a little worried about us actually qualifying. I guess we'll just have to do more of what we're all doing: wait and see! If we haven't heard anything 6 weeks or so before our planned departure we'll break the student permit emergency glass and hope for the best.

One weird thing is that our background check has shown as in process on GCKey from the moment we linked the application, so I don't even have that as a reference point. All I can do is cross my fingers now I guess -- well, that and obsessively keep on top of other Vienna VO timelines. :D Speaking of which, I notice in your signature you just got the pre-arrival services email! Hope that means good things for your app. :)

WYWH

Star Member
Apr 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
10-09-2018
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
28-01-2019
Med's Request
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
02-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-04-2019
I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for you and your spouse, @schweisy :)
About the weird thing... our BGC line has also been the same from the beginning, I wasn't sure if that was just an automated message that would eventually change once it is completed. I hope that Pre-Arrival is a good sign, but it could still take a while. (I am being skeptic because nothing has ever gone smoothly for me, there have always been complications, so I kind learned to expect that!) :D

Reactions: schweisy

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for you and your spouse, @schweisy :)
About the weird thing... our BGC line has also been the same from the beginning, I wasn't sure if that was just an automated message that would eventually change once it is completed. I hope that Pre-Arrival is a good sign, but it could still take a while. (I am being skeptic because nothing has ever gone smoothly for me, there have always been complications, so I kind learned to expect that!) :D
Thank you for the well wishes!

From what I've read from old threads, the BGC line in GCKey usually starts off for most people as something like, "Your application is in progress. We will let you know when the background check begins" (off the top of my head, but something similar). When it then changes to "We are processing your background check" people traditionally would take that as a very positive sign that their application was finally being actively processed by the VO, which is why there's a column for it on the tracker spreadsheet. However, if it has said "We are processing" from the beginning like it does for us, I have no means of guessing if it means a damn thing! :rolleyes: Hopefully it just means that they're working on our BGC simultaneously the whole time, but it's definitely confusing when you try to compare with other people. Can I ask what country your PA is from? I realize now that I assumed at first it was Netherlands based on the flag, but, duh, that would be upside down. :p

The pre-arrival email is definitely a sign of progress at least, which is always of some comfort. And from everything I've read, it does probably signal that you've passed eligibility, which means all that's left to finish is that background check. I have a good feeling about it for you, though it sounds like you have a wise attitude about this process -- always better to expect to wait and expect to have problems and then be happy when it all works out! :D

Last edited:

WYWH

Star Member
Apr 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
10-09-2018
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
28-01-2019
Med's Request
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
02-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-04-2019
However, if it has said "We are processing" from the beginning like it does for us, I have no means of guessing if it means a damn thing! :rolleyes: Hopefully it just means that they're working on our BGC simultaneously the whole time, but it's definitely confusing when you try to compare with other people. Can I ask what country your PA is from? I realize now that I assumed at first it was Netherlands based on the flag, but, duh, that would be upside down. :p
The pre-arrival email is definitely a sign of progress at least, which is always of some comfort. And from everything I've read, it does probably signal that you've passed eligibility, which means all that's left to finish is that background check. I have a good feeling about it for you, though it sounds like you have a wise attitude about this process -- always better to expect to wait and expect to have problems and then be happy when it all works out! :D
Yes, I didn't want to update the tracker spreadsheet with "BGC in process" because I didn't think it was possible that it was started right away after my AOR1. I figured it was a mistake or an automated thing. :)
My husband lives in Serbia, but the flag I picked is what most resembles Yugoslavian flag. (without the red star in the middle) The official flag was not listed since the country does not officially exist anymore, but I will always consider it as my only flag. (no offense to anyone, but I just can't get used to all these different flags of each ex-YU country, they don't feel like home)
Thanks for sending good vibes my way, hope your feeling is right! :)

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
Yes, I didn't want to update the tracker spreadsheet with "BGC in process" because I didn't think it was possible that it was started right away after my AOR1. I figured it was a mistake or an automated thing. :)
My husband lives in Serbia, but the flag I picked is what most resembles Yugoslavian flag. (without the red star in the middle) The official flag was not listed since the country does not officially exist anymore, but I will always consider it as my only flag. (no offense to anyone, but I just can't get used to all these different flags of each ex-YU country, they don't feel like home)
Thanks for sending good vibes my way, hope your feeling is right! :)
Ahhh, that makes so much more sense! I actually thought it looked closest to the Yugoslavian flag, but was obviously just as confused by that. :p

I thought the same thing about the BGC initially (figured it was automated and meaningless) but there is definitely a group of us who do have it from the beginning versus a group who don't (we discussed this on the December thread), which makes me think it's not totally just automated and there is something behind it. It seems to be a very recent trend, though, so who knows! I still think it's worth keeping track of on the spreadsheet since it helps us see if there's any logic to it and if it means anything (or not!) for overall timelines, which is of course always my greatest obsession. :D

Reactions: WYWH

MuAn

Star Member
Aug 8, 2018
Ahhh, that makes so much more sense! I actually thought it looked closest to the Yugoslavian flag, but was obviously just as confused by that. :p

I thought the same thing about the BGC initially (figured it was automated and meaningless) but there is definitely a group of us who do have it from the beginning versus a group who don't (we discussed this on the December thread), which makes me think it's not totally just automated and there is something behind it. It seems to be a very recent trend, though, so who knows! I still think it's worth keeping track of on the spreadsheet since it helps us see if there's any logic to it and if it means anything (or not!) for overall timelines, which is of course always my greatest obsession. :D
My BGC also started since AOR1 I believe that they started my BGC before they transfered my application to London VO because when I ordered GCMS I saw
Criminality: passed

Reactions: schweisy and WYWH

WYWH

Star Member
Apr 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
10-09-2018
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
28-01-2019
Med's Request
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
02-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-04-2019
@schweisy I think we should finally admit that there is no logic in anything they do, whatsoever! :p I've added the BGC date on the spreadsheet, but will edit if anything changes.

@MuAn Did this "criminality passed" line show up under PR section and is there a date stamp on it? Are you PR or sponsor?
p.s. Forgive me if I am asking stupid questions, I am not very familiar with GCMS, so not sure if this includes notes from the beginning of the process, which would include Sponsor Approval stage details :)

Reactions: MuAn and schweisy

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
My BGC also started since AOR1 I believe that they started my BGC before they transfered my application to London VO because when I ordered GCMS I saw
Criminality: passed
Oh, that's interesting, thanks for posting! I never thought of it, but it makes sense that the GCMS notes might provide some extra "clues." Honestly, it would make sense to start BGC earlier for some people, especially from countries that share intelligence with Canada anyway. Here's hoping it helps the VO process it faster in the end... :rolleyes:

@WYWH - While I'm at it, I might as well also ask: is your eligibility in process too? (Totally agree it's all impossible to interpret, but I'm curious nonetheless :D)

Last edited:
Reactions: MuAn

MuAn

Star Member
Aug 8, 2018
@schweisy I think we should finally admit that there is no logic in anything they do, whatsoever! :p I've added the BGC date on the spreadsheet, but will edit if anything changes.

@MuAn Did this "criminality passed" line show up under PR section and is there a date stamp on it? Are you PR or sponsor?
p.s. Forgive me if I am asking stupid questions, I am not very familiar with GCMS, so not sure if this includes notes from the beginning of the process, which would include Sponsor Approval stage details :)
The Criminality status will be in the GCMS only
You can order GCMS if you want It's a PDF file mine was 64 bags that will give you full details about your App since they received it.

You can read more about it and see how it looks like

GCMS NOTES WELL EXPLAINED HAS NEVER BEFORE UNTIL NOW

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/gcms-notes-well-explained-has-never-before-until-now.390292/

HOW TO ORDER GCMS NOTES: STEP BY STEP PROCESS!

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-order-gcms-notes-step-by-step-process.513893/

WYWH

Star Member
Apr 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
10-09-2018
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
28-01-2019
Med's Request
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
02-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-04-2019
@WYWH - While I'm at it, I might as well also ask: is your eligibility in process too? (Totally agree it's all impossible to interpret, but I'm curious nonetheless :D)
"We are reviewing your eligibility" has been there since about the same time as BCG in process, Nothing has changed except for "Biometrics completed" and "Medicals passed" lines. :)

WYWH

Star Member
Apr 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
10-09-2018
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
28-01-2019
Med's Request
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
02-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-04-2019
Thanks for the explanation and links @MuAn ,

I don't think I require these now, but who knows, it might come in handy if there are any delays. :)

Reactions: MuAn

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
"We are reviewing your eligibility" has been there since about the same time as BCG in process, Nothing has changed except for "Biometrics completed" and "Medicals passed" lines. :)
Thanks for humouring me! That's what I figured. Curious, since I can't imagine they'd be evaluating the relationship from the beginning in the way they could with BCG. But that's enough speculating from me. I will look forward to hearing about you getting PPR soon! ;)

WYWH

Star Member
Apr 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
10-09-2018
AOR Received.
17-12-2018
File Transfer...
28-01-2019
Med's Request
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
02-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-04-2019
@schweisy @MuAn

Somehow, I am skeptic about Vienna office as they are normally pretty slow, but I appreciate your positive attitude and encouragement. Thank you both! :)

S1234

Mar 9, 2016
Good luck to all, hope works out because for me i did sponsore my husband and he got his free ticket to canada now he is gone because 2 years leaving with me is over. It was all game but there is lots of this cases. Karma is a bi***

Best of luck to all