+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity / duration of the initial PR card (spouse category) 2 yrs or 5 yrs??

Zokomon

Star Member
Sep 9, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-06-2014
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2014
LANDED..........
13-01-2015 :)))
Hi everyone! I was wondering what will be validity / duration of the initial PR card (spouse category) 2 yrs or 5 yrs??

New rules say that: " ... conditional permanent residence, you must live together with your sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years from the day you receive conditional permanent residence. The condition ends after the two-year period."

So, will the PR Card that I'll receive be valid 'initially' only for 2 yrs AND
will it state that on the card that its a 'Conditional PR'

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Zokomon said:
Hi everyone! I was wondering what will be validity / duration of the initial PR card (spouse category) 2 yrs or 5 yrs??

New rules say that: " ... conditional permanent residence, you must live together with your sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years from the day you receive conditional permanent residence. The condition ends after the two-year period."

So, will the PR Card that I'll receive be valid 'initially' only for 2 yrs AND
will it state that on the card that its a 'Conditional PR'

Thanks in advance.
1. 5 years, if it is conditional, it will have 51 under conditions.

Zokomon

Star Member
Sep 9, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-06-2014
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2014
LANDED..........
PMM said:
Hi

1. 5 years, if it is conditional, it will have 51 under conditions.
Thanks for the response!

"51 under conditions". ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Zokomon said:
Thanks for the response!

"51 under conditions". ??
That's what shows on your PR card if you have conditional PR.

Zokomon

Star Member
Sep 9, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-06-2014
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2014
LANDED..........
Thanks for the reply!

Well, my COPR says condition 51, however, there is no such mention on the PR card. ???

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Condition 51 only shows up on your COPR, not on your actual PR card. When your card is scanned it does list your 'conditions' for your file.

Mar 9, 2015
Hello Star and Champion members,
Can anyone help me ease my stress??????

I have a query regarding the renewal of our (me and my family)permanent resident cards.
We landed in Canada on Jan5,2010 but went back after 40 days as my husband had to wind up his practice in The home country.(he is a doctor).
We stayed in India till September 2012 but came back permanently in sept 2012.
We applied for renewal of PR card in sept 2014 when we had just completed 745 days of our physical presence in Canada(including the initial 40 days in 2010)
Ideally we could have waited for 6 more months to apply but we were not aware about this and we thought our PR card would expire by March 2015 so we must apply.
My husband is doing Residency here and has a letter from University attached to his application which says he is a full time student since sept 2012.
We moved in sept 2012 but I started working in May 2013 and have my notice of assessments with the application attached and I also sent my pay slips from May 2013 later ( after application went for secondary review)
We missed attaching my son's current passport copy with the application as it was expired at that time and we had applied for a new one.
We were told by CIC in jan end that our application has gone for secondary review and that my son's photocopy of present passport is needed.(They haven't asked for any other document so far)
Now,I am worried about why the application went for secondary processing?
After reading the forums,people also say......withdraw the application and reapply,some say wait and watch,some say your status is in jeopardy.
We are totally worried.My husband has to go to USA in May to present a Case in a conference.This is a compulsory process for his degree.
I am looking for a genuine advice on the following questions as I don't want myself to be caught napping.

what should be done now.
1.Should we wait for the outcome of this application after secondary review...which no one knows how long it takes.
2. Can we apply for urgent processing at this stage?

OR

1.Or Should we just withdraw this application and reapply with more days?If this is the case,does CIC lets you withdraw at the situation when it is in secondary processing?
2. if yes,how long does the withdrawal usually takes place?
Please answer my queries.
I am really looking forward to a genuine advice as at this point of time We are quite stressed out and do not want to loose our status.
Thanks so much.

Zokomon

Star Member
Sep 9, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-06-2014
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2014
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
Condition 51 only shows up on your COPR, not on your actual PR card. When your card is scanned it does list your 'conditions' for your file.
Thank you!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
1234567 said:
Hello Star and Champion members,
Can anyone help me ease my stress??????

I have a query regarding the renewal of our (me and my family)permanent resident cards.
We landed in Canada on Jan5,2010 but went back after 40 days as my husband had to wind up his practice in The home country.(he is a doctor).
We stayed in India till September 2012 but came back permanently in sept 2012.
We applied for renewal of PR card in sept 2014 when we had just completed 745 days of our physical presence in Canada(including the initial 40 days in 2010)
Ideally we could have waited for 6 more months to apply but we were not aware about this and we thought our PR card would expire by March 2015 so we must apply.
My husband is doing Residency here and has a letter from University attached to his application which says he is a full time student since sept 2012.
We moved in sept 2012 but I started working in May 2013 and have my notice of assessments with the application attached and I also sent my pay slips from May 2013 later ( after application went for secondary review)
We missed attaching my son's current passport copy with the application as it was expired at that time and we had applied for a new one.
We were told by CIC in jan end that our application has gone for secondary review and that my son's photocopy of present passport is needed.(They haven't asked for any other document so far)
Now,I am worried about why the application went for secondary processing?
After reading the forums,people also say......withdraw the application and reapply,some say wait and watch,some say your status is in jeopardy.
We are totally worried.My husband has to go to USA in May to present a Case in a conference.This is a compulsory process for his degree.
I am looking for a genuine advice on the following questions as I don't want myself to be caught napping.

what should be done now.
1.Should we wait for the outcome of this application after secondary review...which no one knows how long it takes.
2. Can we apply for urgent processing at this stage?

OR

1.Or Should we just withdraw this application and reapply with more days?If this is the case,does CIC lets you withdraw at the situation when it is in secondary processing?
2. if yes,how long does the withdrawal usually takes place?
Please answer my queries.
I am really looking forward to a genuine advice as at this point of time We are quite stressed out and do not want to loose our status.
Thanks so much.

If you are absolutely sure about your day count and it IS 745 days in Canada then a secondary review is only going to verify the information since you are so close to the actual 730 day requirement. The only documentation they are requiring at this time is that of your sons passport. Send them in what they are asking for and you'll be fine. There is no reason to withdraw your application if you have the proper days in country on the day you signed your application and mailed it in.

Mar 9, 2015
Alurra71 said:
If you are absolutely sure about your day count and it IS 745 days in Canada then a secondary review is only going to verify the information since you are so close to the actual 730 day requirement. The only documentation they are requiring at this time is that of your sons passport. Send them in what they are asking for and you'll be fine. There is no reason to withdraw your application if you have the proper days in country on the day you signed your application and mailed it in.
Thank you so much Alurra71 for replying.
One more thing I am worried about is : we read one of the date on husband's passport as 15 may(it was half printed).but after the application went for secondary processing,I went through the application again and it is actually 16 May (one of the entries in Canada and also his days are 800+ in Canada when we applied)
1. Is this something really serious?
2.Also,is it wise at this point to apply for urgent processing for case presentation in USA or just wait for normal processing to happen? I also don't want to irritate them.
3.If not applying for urgent processing can my husband come back from USA by road .Will CBSA allow him to
enter with landing papers easily?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
1234567 said:
Thank you so much Alurra71 for replying.
One more thing I am worried about is : we read one of the date on husband's passport as 15 may(it was half printed).but after the application went for secondary processing,I went through the application again and it is actually 16 May (one of the entries in Canada and also his days are 800+ in Canada when we applied)
1. Is this something really serious?
2.Also,is it wise at this point to apply for urgent processing for case presentation in USA or just wait for normal processing to happen? I also don't want to irritate them.
3.If not applying for urgent processing can my husband come back from USA by road .Will CBSA allow him to
enter with landing papers easily?
No, it's not really serious, just a simple mistake on your part. You can send CIC a letter explaining the error and send them another photocopy of the stamp if it makes you feel better, but they won't hold the 1 day against you negatively. They will just knock his in Canada day count down by 1 day.

You wouldn't qualify for urgent processing at this point as it is still early March and your husband isn't due to leave until May to go to the states. I would let it continue to process normally. Please note this does not 'irritate' them as you mentioned. If it's truly urgent, they will do what they can to assist you, but I don't think you are there.

Yes, they will allow him to enter via road back into Canada with just his landing papers. He should bring a copy of his renewal information to show them that he has already applied and is just waiting for the card now if they ask, but they will allow him in without problems.

Mar 9, 2015
Alurra71 said:
No, it's not really serious, just a simple mistake on your part. You can send CIC a letter explaining the error and send them another photocopy of the stamp if it makes you feel better, but they won't hold the 1 day against you negatively. They will just knock his in Canada day count down by 1 day.

You wouldn't qualify for urgent processing at this point as it is still early March and your husband isn't due to leave until May to go to the states. I would let it continue to process normally. Please note this does not 'irritate' them as you mentioned. If it's truly urgent, they will do what they can to assist you, but I don't think you are there.

Yes, they will allow him to enter via road back into Canada with just his landing papers. He should bring a copy of his renewal information to show them that he has already applied and is just waiting for the card now if they ask, but they will allow him in without problems.
Thank you so much Alurra71 for writing back.That eases my mind a bit.

I was trying to understand what this exactly means on the CIC website:

"Appendix A: Residency obligation
Minimum residency obligations

You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.

If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more

you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident."

Does the second line means even if some people apply earlier than 730 days in Canada but are able to have 730 days by the time their fist five years finish will still get the card renewed?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
1234567 said:
Thank you so much Alurra71 for writing back.That eases my mind a bit.

I was trying to understand what this exactly means on the CIC website:

"Appendix A: Residency obligation
Minimum residency obligations

You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.

If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more

you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident."

Does the second line means even if some people apply earlier than 730 days in Canada but are able to have 730 days by the time their fist five years finish will still get the card renewed?
That statement is more used for someone who might be outside of the country and looking for a PRTD to return to Canada, or someone who might be questioned at the border after a long stint outside of the country. The same rules apply for renewing a PR card for the first time or for the 20th time. You must have 730 days living in Canada to get your new card.