+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using old PR card after the new card has been granted

SimonAitch

Star Member
Sep 20, 2020
This happened to me about 4 years ago. I left the country with my old , but still valid card. Whilst away my new card was delivered to my home. Upon returning to Canada (Victoria BC with my still valid old card) I was sent to secondary and quizzed for 10 minutes or so then welcomed home.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
This happened to me about 4 years ago. I left the country with my old , but still valid card. Whilst away my new card was delivered to my home. Upon returning to Canada (Victoria BC with my still valid old card) I was sent to secondary and quizzed for 10 minutes or so then welcomed home.
yeah, so technically your old card is invalid in the database, replaced by your new card

ranjan05

Star Member
May 22, 2012
Please explain to my position. I still have valid PR card for one more month but I got my renewed card mailed to my home . I am out of country for 4 weeks. can I return by using my valid old PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Please explain to my position. I still have valid PR card for one more month but I got my renewed card mailed to my home . I am out of country for 4 weeks. can I return by using my valid old PR card.
You can try it but it would be more certain to have the new PR card couriered to you abroad.

ramansingh05

Dec 15, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi Visa Office
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
CRS- 422
Doc's Request.
Awaited
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
Awaited
IELTS Request
08-10-2016
Med's Request
12-05-2017
Med's Done....
12-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited
LANDED..........
Awaited
If you have NEXUS you clearly have status to travel via the U.S. And thus do not need to worry about being stuck abroad depending on being able to obtain a PR Travel Document in order to return Canada. Probably (more regarding this probability below).

How you otherwise factor the pending expiration of your PR card (most of a year away) into your personal decision-making and travel plans is both very much personal and, as much of life, dependent on future contingencies. The latter are more difficult to forecast in the current situation.

For example, a new global wave of Covid-19 or a mutation of it (like corona related cold viruses do) could emerge and result in the shutdown of travel on a scale and for a duration not yet seen, or something like that could happen which only affects some countries but which might include the country where a Canadian PR happens to be, resulting in travel restrictions for a short term or even long term precluding an exit from that country.

There are a lot of unknowns facing all of us at this time.

BUT there is an especially huge contingency looming large just across the border. Odds are probably good that whatever happens in the U.S. in the next two to four months, the net impact will not have a drastic impact on travel to or from the U.S., especially for U.S. citizens and permanent residents (GC holders), and probably not for many "aliens" (the U.S. term for those who are not U.S. citizens) carrying a visa-exempt (for travel to the U.S.) passport.

But there are looming risks otherwise. Real, serious risks. Not much better than Russian Roulette odds. The risks range from some serious disruptions to circumstances far more severe than most of us have seen in our lifetimes, including those who are old like me.

A Nobel Literature Prize recipient wrote about this around a half century ago, but more pertinent to now than then, "the times they are a-changin' . . . "

My impression is that Canada will continue to be more predictable in regards to many aspects of status and return access for Canadians abroad than most of the world, but as current events illustrate, a lot can change in a year, as so much has in this last year.
Hi, I have a question, I am meeting all residency obligations till now. I have a question, I have 6 months left to renew my PR so I am planning to renew my card now and then travel back for some urgent family care. When I'll back after 2 months of leaving then I'll be RO compliant( short by 15 days approx). Will there be any problem in that case? @dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, I have a question, I am meeting all residency obligations till now. I have a question, I have 6 months left to renew my PR so I am planning to renew my card now and then travel back for some urgent family care. When I'll back after 2 months of leaving then I'll be RO compliant( short by 15 days approx). Will there be any problem in that case? @dpenabill
Whether a PR is in compliance with the Residency Obligation or not is just arithmetic and the calendar, just counting days. The PR card, new or old, is NOT relevant.

A PR who is "short" is by definition "inadmissible." Lots of factors influence how much of a problem that might be. Enforcement is not strict, so there tends to be a lot of variability in how it goes from one person to the next.

How much the PR is "cutting-it-close" can affect how long it takes IRCC to approve a PR card application, issue a new card, and deliver it. Here too various factors will influence the timeline, the risk of non-routine processing delays, and things like whether an in-person card pick up will be required. Forecasting how it will go for a particular individual, like you, is a guessing-game, and tends to be a bit like target shooting in the dark.

How much the PR is "short" or "cutting-it-close" can affect how it goes upon arrival at a PoE when returning to Canada, and again whether the PR card is old and about to expire or a recently issued new one, is not relevant when calculating RO compliance. A new PR card can, however, improve the odds the PIL officer waives the PR through without questions about RO compliance.

So I cannot say if "there be any problem in that case." It is worth remembering that even very good odds are no guarantee, and actually quite the opposite.

ramansingh05

Dec 15, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi Visa Office
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
CRS- 422
Doc's Request.
Awaited
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
Awaited
IELTS Request
08-10-2016
Med's Request
12-05-2017
Med's Done....
12-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited
LANDED..........
Awaited
Whether a PR is in compliance with the Residency Obligation or not is just arithmetic and the calendar, just counting days. The PR card, new or old, is NOT relevant.

A PR who is "short" is by definition "inadmissible." Lots of factors influence how much of a problem that might be. Enforcement is not strict, so there tends to be a lot of variability in how it goes from one person to the next.

How much the PR is "cutting-it-close" can affect how long it takes IRCC to approve a PR card application, issue a new card, and deliver it. Here too various factors will influence the timeline, the risk of non-routine processing delays, and things like whether an in-person card pick up will be required. Forecasting how it will go for a particular individual, like you, is a guessing-game, and tends to be a bit like target shooting in the dark.

How much the PR is "short" or "cutting-it-close" can affect how it goes upon arrival at a PoE when returning to Canada, and again whether the PR card is old and about to expire or a recently issued new one, is not relevant when calculating RO compliance. A new PR card can, however, improve the odds the PIL officer waives the PR through without questions about RO compliance.

So I cannot say if "there be any problem in that case." It is worth remembering that even very good odds are no guarantee, and actually quite the opposite.
Thanks buddy, follow up question, what if we travel by old card and new card comes in the mail later. In normal scenario I mean, Does it matter to have a new card in hand

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Confused will you remain compliant with your RO when you are abroad? You say RO compliant but then also say short 15 days.

If you lose compliance or if you are so close to the 730 days I wouldn’t suggest applying early. If you are close to the 730 days there is a much higher chance of ending up in secondary review and you’re weak taking longer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks buddy, follow up question, what if we travel by old card and new card comes in the mail later. In normal scenario I mean, Does it matter to have a new card in hand
When your new card is approved your old card should be cancelled. There may be a delay in cancelation but that isn’t guaranteed and you shouldn’t count on it. You should be making arrangements to have the new card sent abroad or delay applying for renewal until you return which would be a better option.