+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using old PR card after the new card has been granted

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by t-chan, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Hi,

After you apply for the new PR card (renewal) and then if you go abroad, can you come back with your old card even the new one is granted while you are away? (Of course, provided the old card is not expired).

I do know that I can use the old card while the new one is "being processed."
    But my question is what if I am already abroad while the new one got granted and sent to me?
    (You're technically supposed to throw away the old one and use the new one.)

Thanks!

2. I'm not sure how it works but your renewed card has the same ID number as your old one. However the cards can be scanned using the barcode and I'm sure the info that comes up on there will show it as invalid due to card being replaced.

3. I think your question is you are away with valid or card. Meanwhile they send you new or card to your mailing address in Canada. I think you will have no problem returning to Canada with old card as it is still valid.once you arrive in Canada you can destroy old or card and start using new card.

4. I also think that this is correct. Whenever I board a flight, they only visually check my PR card. As far as I know airlines don't have means to electronically verify a PR card. Also there is nothing on the CIC/IRCC website that seems to indicate that still valid old PR cards get invalidated once the new one is issued.

5. Thank you both. I think I'll go with my old PR card if the new one doesn't arrive before I leave. I suppose at least I can go on board to come back to Canada (even if they ask further questions at the airport).

6. Hello, did it work for you to enter with the old valid pr although the new was issued?