+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using old PR card after the new card has been granted

t-chan

Jul 4, 2010
Hi,

After you apply for the new PR card (renewal) and then if you go abroad, can you come back with your old card even the new one is granted while you are away? (Of course, provided the old card is not expired).

I do know that I can use the old card while the new one is "being processed."
But my question is what if I am already abroad while the new one got granted and sent to me?
(You're technically supposed to throw away the old one and use the new one.)

Thanks!

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
t-chan said:
Hi,

After you apply for the new PR card (renewal) and then if you go abroad, can you come back with your old card even the new one is granted while you are away? (Of course, provided the old card is not expired).

But my question is what if I am already abroad while the new one got granted and sent to me?

Thanks!
I'm not sure how it works but your renewed card has the same ID number as your old one. However the cards can be scanned using the barcode and I'm sure the info that comes up on there will show it as invalid due to card being replaced.

ranjan05

Star Member
May 22, 2012
I think your question is you are away with valid or card. Meanwhile they send you new or card to your mailing address in Canada. I think you will have no problem returning to Canada with old card as it is still valid.once you arrive in Canada you can destroy old or card and start using new card.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
ranjan05 said:
I think your question is you are away with valid or card. Meanwhile they send you new or card to your mailing address in Canada. I think you will have no problem returning to Canada with old card as it is still valid.once you arrive in Canada you can destroy old or card and start using new card.
I also think that this is correct. Whenever I board a flight, they only visually check my PR card. As far as I know airlines don't have means to electronically verify a PR card. Also there is nothing on the CIC/IRCC website that seems to indicate that still valid old PR cards get invalidated once the new one is issued.

t-chan

Jul 4, 2010
ranjan05 said:
spyfy said:
I also think that this is correct. Whenever I board a flight, they only visually check my PR card. As far as I know airlines don't have means to electronically verify a PR card. Also there is nothing on the CIC/IRCC website that seems to indicate that still valid old PR cards get invalidated once the new one is issued.
Thank you both. I think I'll go with my old PR card if the new one doesn't arrive before I leave. I suppose at least I can go on board to come back to Canada (even if they ask further questions at the airport).

Rawanws91

Jul 12, 2019
Hi,

Thanks!
Hello, did it work for you to enter with the old valid pr although the new was issued?

Munirsaleh

Oct 5, 2019
Hello All,

Any one can confirm if this was OK! I have a similar situation and do not know if I should go or not.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Hello All,

Any one can confirm if this was OK! I have a similar situation and do not know if I should go or not.
I don’t think you can. Because even though the UCI number is the same on the old and new PR cards, the PR card numbers on the back of the cards are not the same.

Munirsaleh

Oct 5, 2019
Thanks K300K3,
Your opinion is much appreciated. There is another opinion from other people, which is "as long as your PR is valid and you did not receive your new card in hand, and that your card might still be on its way by the post, then you can still use the old valid card.
I thought someone might have experienced this and will share his experience with us.
RGDS

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Any other experiences on this? With the current delays in processing, this is relevant for many people I guess.

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
I believe the old card will grand you entrance to Canada provided it's valid, unless you receive the new PR it's valid (of-course you will receive it once you back to Canada).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This is the revival of an old discussion. Recent comments call for clarification.

I believe the old card will grand you entrance to Canada provided it's valid, unless you receive the new PR it's valid (of-course you will receive it once you back to Canada).
A Permanent Resident does NOT need a PR card, any PR card, to obtain "entrance to Canada." PRs are statutorily entitled to entry.

While the PR's experience at the PoE is less likely to involve elevated screening if the PR presents a valid PR card, presenting an expired PR card or even a passport plus copy of the CoPR will easily suffice for purposes of entry . . . compliance with PR Residency Obligation may be examined, but for purposes of being allowed to enter Canada, the expired PR card or copy of CoPR will readily work. In fact, if the PR can establish identity (a passport is usually sufficient), subject to only unusual exceptions, that will suffice to get "entrance to Canada" since CBSA will verify the traveler's PR status in GCMS.

A valid PR card is what the PR needs (with some exceptions) to board an airline flight headed to Canada. An expired card will not work for this.

Technically the issuance of a new PR card results in making the old PR card invalid. Thus, for example, even if the date the old card expires has not happened yet, so the PR card might appear valid on its face, that is it has not expired, once a new PR card is issued the old PR card is no longer valid. It is then NOT valid. So it is NOT possible to present CBSA officers an old card that is "valid" if IRCC has issued a new card, since the old card is no longer valid by virtue of the new card being issued.

At the PoE itself, no big deal. If the PR has not physically received the new PR card, and shows the border officer the old (now invalid) PR card, the officer may or may not ask about it, such as why is the old card being presented. But the situation is easily explained: have not physically received the new card yet. Should be NO problem.

For purposes of boarding the flight headed to Canada, I do NOT know how this currently works. The discussion above was primarily about the situation back in 2017 or before. At that time the system for electronic screening of passengers boarding flights abroad was still in the implementation and ironing out the wrinkles phase. Some commented, for example, that upon boarding their flight to Canada it appeared the airline merely visually inspected the PR card, so that a PR card which appears to still be valid would work . . . even though technically the card is no longer valid because a replacement has been issued.

It is likely that today PRs boarding flights to Canada from abroad are electronically screened, same as eTA travelers. So I do not know if the anecdotal experiences referenced in 2017 apply today.

In any event, nonetheless, the PR does not need any PR card to obtain "entrance to Canada," as long as the PR can physically get himself or herself to a PoE for Canada.

Any other experiences on this? With the current delays in processing, this is relevant for many people I guess.
Not sure how the delays in processing would affect this question, about whether or not a PR abroad can present his or her old PR card AFTER a new PR card has been issued.

The delay in processing is likely affecting the number of PRs getting stuck with an expired PR card and waiting for a new PR card. And some of these are likely to be abroad.

As noted above, they do NOT need a valid PR card to obtain "entrance to Canada." But unless they can travel via the U.S., or have access to a private plane, or perhaps a private boat, that can carry them to Canada, they do need a valid PR card to board a flight headed to Canada . . . so the delay can indeed mean an increasing number of PRs are stuck abroad without means to get to Canada. They do have the option of obtaining a PR Travel Document. There are conflicting anecdotal reports about how much more difficult this is in these pandemic stricken days.

Unlike drivers licenses, health care cards, tags on vehicles, and other things which at least some provinces have unilaterally extended (in Ontario, at least, these are all extended "until further notice"), there is no indication that IRCC has extended the validity of expiring PR cards. So it is not likely, so far as the information at IRCC shows, that PRs abroad can use an expired PR card to board a flight.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Not sure how the delays in processing would affect this question, about whether or not a PR abroad can present his or her old PR card AFTER a new PR card has been issued.
It does affect this case. For example: If it was certain that one gets PR in 30 days like before, I would renew before my winter trip (which is 2-3 months duration) and would travel with the new card.

I don't want to leave the renewal too late (my current card expires early summer next year) and so I want to avoid doing so after my winter trip. I want to avoid any time (even a week) without a valid PR card because unexpected travel may happen anytime.

But, I am also hesitant to do it before my winter trip. Because the new card may be issued before I come back to Canada and I am stuck again.

Ideally, I would like to apply prior to my trip as soon as I can (9 months prior to expiry) and not worry about whether it takes 1 month, 3 months or 6 months for issue.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Another question regarding this. What numbers change on the new card? I am asking because I have NEXUS. Do I need to update NEXUS once I hav new PR card?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It does affect this case. For example: If it was certain that one gets PR in 30 days like before, I would renew before my winter trip (which is 2-3 months duration) and would travel with the new card.
Another question regarding this. What numbers change on the new card? I am asking because I have NEXUS. Do I need to update NEXUS once I hav new PR card?
If you have NEXUS you clearly have status to travel via the U.S. And thus do not need to worry about being stuck abroad depending on being able to obtain a PR Travel Document in order to return Canada. Probably (more regarding this probability below).

How you otherwise factor the pending expiration of your PR card (most of a year away) into your personal decision-making and travel plans is both very much personal and, as much of life, dependent on future contingencies. The latter are more difficult to forecast in the current situation.

For example, a new global wave of Covid-19 or a mutation of it (like corona related cold viruses do) could emerge and result in the shutdown of travel on a scale and for a duration not yet seen, or something like that could happen which only affects some countries but which might include the country where a Canadian PR happens to be, resulting in travel restrictions for a short term or even long term precluding an exit from that country.

There are a lot of unknowns facing all of us at this time.

BUT there is an especially huge contingency looming large just across the border. Odds are probably good that whatever happens in the U.S. in the next two to four months, the net impact will not have a drastic impact on travel to or from the U.S., especially for U.S. citizens and permanent residents (GC holders), and probably not for many "aliens" (the U.S. term for those who are not U.S. citizens) carrying a visa-exempt (for travel to the U.S.) passport.

But there are looming risks otherwise. Real, serious risks. Not much better than Russian Roulette odds. The risks range from some serious disruptions to circumstances far more severe than most of us have seen in our lifetimes, including those who are old like me.

A Nobel Literature Prize recipient wrote about this around a half century ago, but more pertinent to now than then, "the times they are a-changin' . . . "

My impression is that Canada will continue to be more predictable in regards to many aspects of status and return access for Canadians abroad than most of the world, but as current events illustrate, a lot can change in a year, as so much has in this last year.

I don't want to leave the renewal too late (my current card expires early summer next year) and so I want to avoid doing so after my winter trip. I want to avoid any time (even a week) without a valid PR card because unexpected travel may happen anytime.

But, I am also hesitant to do it before my winter trip. Because the new card may be issued before I come back to Canada and I am stuck again.

Ideally, I would like to apply prior to my trip as soon as I can (9 months prior to expiry) and not worry about whether it takes 1 month, 3 months or 6 months for issue.