29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
michicanuck said:
I'm not sure how close he is to being in the U.S. for 5 years, but once he gets there he's eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship. It only takes 2-3 months as well. My wife became a U.S. citizen (she's originally from Canada) somewhat recently and we're going to Canada now.

To your particular question, I don't know if his PR is cancelled on its own, but it will be cancelled somehow and in some way. He would almost certainly have to restart the process if you all chose to come back and too much time had elapsed. You need to look into the specific rules around U.S. PR; not sure it's easy to simply re-apply and get approval a second time, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Do your due diligence and you'll be fine.
I am the Canadian and went to the US on a K-1 and finally became a US citizen ( 2014 and was so quick and easy) because we found speaking with people that if you abandon your PR, move back to Canada getting across the border into the USA afterwards is a nightmare...I am not enjoying the fact that we will have to file American taxes and pay too but we still own a home in the USA...

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
Sunset0505 said:
I am the Canadian and went to the US on a K-1 and finally became a US citizen ( 2014 and was so quick and easy) because we found speaking with people that if you abandon your PR, move back to Canada getting across the border into the USA afterwards is a nightmare...I am not enjoying the fact that we will have to file American taxes and pay too but we still own a home in the USA...
Ouch. Well we're going to move back to Canada, regardless, but now I'm thinking we won't be moving back to the US. Maybe in a decade or two... Thanks for the heads up!

michicanuck

Dec 12, 2016
Michigan, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-30-16
AOR Received.
12-9-16
Sunset0505 said:
Yes, this is part of why my wife became a US citizen as well. We knew it would give us greater flexibility going forward. And if we end up staying in Canada for several years, which is the plan, I will probably file for Canadian citizenship. We'd both be dual then.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
Hi, just curious if there's a spreadsheet for all the Ottawa VO applicants for 2016. I've been trying to get an idea of the Ottawa VO timelines over the past year, so I've been going through all the spreadsheets for each individual month. I've gone through a bit of this thread, but the first couple pages had spreadsheets for 2010-2013, and I've yet to find one for all 2016 US Outland Applicants.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Staunts2015 said:
Hi, just curious if there's a spreadsheet for all the Ottawa VO applicants for 2016. I've been trying to get an idea of the Ottawa VO timelines over the past year, so I've been going through all the spreadsheets for each individual month. I've gone through a bit of this thread, but the first couple pages had spreadsheets for 2010-2013, and I've yet to find one for all 2016 US Outland Applicants.
no, i don't think there is a current spreadsheet specific to ottawa. i haven't seen one since 2014. maybe someone wants to start a new one to keep track?

based on the information provided on this forum, the average for US citizens is 4.5-6 months.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
michicanuck said:
Yes, this is part of why my wife became a US citizen as well. We knew it would give us greater flexibility going forward. And if we end up staying in Canada for several years, which is the plan, I will probably file for Canadian citizenship. We'd both be dual then.
American husbands wants to be dual as well...He says that we are citizen of North America!!!

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
23/01/2017 Sent: 24/01/2017 via Xpress Post
Staunts2015 said:
I have not come across one, but now that you mention it, I would think it would be valuable to some going through Ottawa!

skyzee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Vancouver, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Interview........
BGC-In Progress: 22-02-2017, DM: 06-04-2017
Passport Req..
11-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-24-2017
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd bump this up since it's a quieter work week and well, there's other things on my mind haha.

I recently submitted an Outland application (317 pages) for my wife (American) using the old Outland process and it was received today by CPC-M. Impatiently awaiting AOR1....

Curiously, has anyone ever been denied entrance into Canada in the past, and then ended up getting COPR/PR through Sponsorship process? What was your experience like to travel across the border after acquiring PR status?

My wife and I had a terribly traumatic experience at the border back in July, and while thankfully, it didn't affect our ability to extend her visitor visa, I was just curious if we should always expect to get pulled into the office every time at the CBSA from here regardless of if she gets PR status or not.

Thanks for any anecdotal stories in advance. This forum has saved us thousands in lawyer fees.

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
Hi,

My wife got the SA. It gave her a link to allow me to link the application to my account. I signed in and attempted to search for my application, and I can't find it. Am I doing something wrong?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
skyzee said:
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd bump this up since it's a quieter work week and well, there's other things on my mind haha.

I recently submitted an Outland application (317 pages) for my wife (American) using the old Outland process and it was received today by CPC-M. Impatiently awaiting AOR1....

Curiously, has anyone ever been denied entrance into Canada in the past, and then ended up getting COPR/PR through Sponsorship process? What was your experience like to travel across the border after acquiring PR status?

My wife and I had a terribly traumatic experience at the border back in July, and while thankfully, it didn't affect our ability to extend her visitor visa, I was just curious if we should always expect to get pulled into the office every time at the CBSA from here regardless of if she gets PR status or not.

Thanks for any anecdotal stories in advance. This forum has saved us thousands in lawyer fees.
hi, yes I had an exclusion order before getting married and applying for PR. Before becoming PR, I was pulled into secondary every time I crossed for 1.5 years (probably 3-4 times/year). At one point, the officers at secondary started laughing at me for "not being a stranger to immigration" because they could see the history in their system - so they do have a sense of humour about it sometimes. After getting PR, it's been easy breezy and I have had no issues since (knock on wood).

If you have been "red flagged" in the system, expect to be pulled into secondary every time you cross. While it may not happen, it's good to be prepared and expect the worst. Make sure to keep a copy of the application, proof of fees paid, and any communication received by cic about the application. it's also good to show "ties" to the us - lease/mortgage, pay stub or work contract. It does get easier with an application submitted, and it's more about going through the motions with them. When they know you know the rules, they are friendlier.

PS... to this day, I still get butterflies when I get close to the border, even though it's been 2+ years since landing.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
MasterDen said:
Hi,

My wife got the SA. It gave her a link to allow me to link the application to my account. I signed in and attempted to search for my application, and I can't find it. Am I doing something wrong?
most likely no. it can take a few days or weeks for the application to connect correctly. this is a common problem and only reflects the flaws in the online system. it's nothing to do with your actual file.

skyzee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Vancouver, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
11-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-24-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
hi, yes I had an exclusion order before getting married and applying for PR. Before becoming PR, I was pulled into secondary every time I crossed for 1.5 years (probably 3-4 times/year). At one point, the officers at secondary started laughing at me for "not being a stranger to immigration" because they could see the history in their system - so they do have a sense of humour about it sometimes. After getting PR, it's been easy breezy and I have had no issues since (knock on wood).

If you have been "red flagged" in the system, expect to be pulled into secondary every time you cross. While it may not happen, it's good to be prepared and expect the worst. Make sure to keep a copy of the application, proof of fees paid, and any communication received by cic about the application. it's also good to show "ties" to the us - lease/mortgage, pay stub or work contract. It does get easier with an application submitted, and it's more about going through the motions with them. When they know you know the rules, they are friendlier.

PS... to this day, I still get butterflies when I get close to the border, even though it's been 2+ years since landing.
Thanks very much for sharing your story.

I can definitely relate very closely to getting butterflies and then some... I think if we could get to that point someday, I would call it a good day. Right now, we're downright terrified, still get nightmares about our experience, and are doing everything we can do avoid the CBSA until PR is approved. It's a great relief to know that they don't pull you automatically into secondary after acquiring PR, so we'll be looking forward to that day!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
skyzee said:
Thanks very much for sharing your story.

I can definitely relate very closely to getting butterflies and then some... I think if we could get to that point someday, I would call it a good day. Right now, we're downright terrified, still get nightmares about our experience, and are doing everything we can do avoid the CBSA until PR is approved. It's a great relief to know that they don't pull you automatically into secondary after acquiring PR, so we'll be looking forward to that day!
this is just my story. many others will have similar stories. however there is 1 poster who will tell you they have a different experience and still get pulled into secondary as a PR. that particular story has many layers that is unique to them, so it's not necessarily a "normal" experience.

yeah, CBSA has a way of making you fear for your life even when you're miles away! i don't even go near the border i was denied entry at, and i'm not sure i ever will - even though it's closer to me than the one i use. if you can use another border, i'd recommend doing that.

mind i ask what their issue with you was? if you have what you need to alleviate THAT concern, then they won't be as difficult. also remember, it's officer specific and you could have very well have gotten a cranky officer. I'm positive that happened to me... the day i got excluded was on a day the 2 countries signed an agreement to crack down on illegal entries and i'm pretty sure I got caught up in someone wanting a gold star for themselves.

skyzee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Vancouver, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
11-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-24-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
this is just my story. many others will have similar stories. however there is 1 poster who will tell you they have a different experience and still get pulled into secondary as a PR. that particular story has many layers that is unique to them, so it's not necessarily a "normal" experience.

yeah, CBSA has a way of making you fear for your life even when you're miles away! i don't even go near the border i was denied entry at, and i'm not sure i ever will - even though it's closer to me than the one i use. if you can use another border, i'd recommend doing that.

mind i ask what their issue with you was? if you have what you need to alleviate THAT concern, then they won't be as difficult. also remember, it's officer specific and you could have very well have gotten a cranky officer. I'm positive that happened to me... the day i got excluded was on a day the 2 countries signed an agreement to crack down on illegal entries and i'm pretty sure I got caught up in someone wanting a gold star for themselves.
Thanks. I guess the biggest difference is that at least there's no way they can deny a PR entry into Canada even if they do take you into questioning, but of course that's an experience we'd both rather avoid.

In a nutshell, my wife and I (girlfriend at the time) got caught in a lie because we had to prove her ties back to USA, but the thing is, she had pretty much packed her bags, got rid of her place back in the US, quit her job, and relocated to Canada on the basis that we'd first try things out for a few months here in Vancouver before she'd eventually settle in Seattle.

We were paranoid the CBSA would deny entry to her if we said anything other than that she was just visiting me in Canada, and ironically enough, they called us on our bluff and gave us hell because they suspected she was moving to Canada given that we were picking up some stuff that she had shipped just past the border. After a few hours of questioning, they eventually denied us entry and demanded a letter of employment / mortgage letter (since we had fibbed and said that she had residence back home) before they'd allow us to enter.

At this point it was a complete nightmare because she had all her stuff at my house, including her car and our dog, and we had to rent a dingy hotel to sort out what we were going to do the next day. We ended up returning to the border, trying to extend on the lie by providing some random documents, but CBSA caught us on that too and gave us even bigger hell the next day. You know what's funny is that actually, we did go to a different border after getting denied admission into Canada that first night and they also questioned us thoroughly on that as well.

Anyways, that next day, we ended up getting questioned for over 7 hours at the border, eventually breaking us down to the point where we came clean with the real story, and at which point the officer in charge decided to have mercy and issue a visitor record for her. Recognizing that it could have turned out VERY differently in that she could have been issued an exclusion order instead even after telling the truth, we decided we'd rather just stay in Canada and try the sponsorship route since we had been planning on getting married anyways, but needless to say, even a niggling thought of even going near the CBSA is extremely unappealing!

I do agree with you - you're at the complete mercy of whichever officer gets you at the CBSA . I'm convinced that had the situation been in the hands of our first officer, we probably would have gotten the exclusion order rather than the visitor record. He was extremely harsh and seemed like he was on a mission to deny us the first night. The second officer the next day was more confused about why we had been denied entry in the first place, but was cheerful up until he suspected and correctly deduced that we were lying, then gave the big brother speech at the end of the ordeal after we came clean.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
skyzee said:
Thanks. I guess the biggest difference is that at least there's no way they can deny a PR entry into Canada even if they do take you into questioning, but of course that's an experience we'd both rather avoid.

In a nutshell, my wife and I (girlfriend at the time) got caught in a lie because we had to prove her ties back to USA, but the thing is, she had pretty much packed her bags, got rid of her place back in the US, quit her job, and relocated to Canada on the basis that we'd first try things out for a few months here in Vancouver before she'd eventually settle in Seattle.

We were paranoid the CBSA would deny entry to her if we said anything other than that she was just visiting me in Canada, and ironically enough, they called us on our bluff and gave us hell because they suspected she was moving to Canada given that we were picking up some stuff that she had shipped just past the border. After a few hours of questioning, they eventually denied us entry and demanded a letter of employment / mortgage letter (since we had fibbed and said that she had residence back home) before they'd allow us to enter.

At this point it was a complete nightmare because she had all her stuff at my house, including her car and our dog, and we had to rent a dingy hotel to sort out what we were going to do the next day. We ended up returning to the border, trying to extend on the lie by providing some random documents, but CBSA caught us on that too and gave us even bigger hell the next day. You know what's funny is that actually, we did go to a different border after getting denied admission into Canada that first night and they also questioned us thoroughly on that as well.

Anyways, that next day, we ended up getting questioned for over 7 hours at the border, eventually breaking us down to the point where we came clean with the real story, and at which point the officer in charge decided to have mercy and issue a visitor record for her. Recognizing that it could have turned out VERY differently in that she could have been issued an exclusion order instead even after telling the truth, we decided we'd rather just stay in Canada and try the sponsorship route since we had been planning on getting married anyways, but needless to say, even a niggling thought of even going near the CBSA is extremely unappealing!

I do agree with you - you're at the complete mercy of whichever officer gets you at the CBSA . I'm convinced that had the situation been in the hands of our first officer, we probably would have gotten the exclusion order rather than the visitor record. He was extremely harsh and seemed like he was on a mission to deny us the first night. The second officer the next day was more confused about why we had been denied entry in the first place, but was cheerful up until he suspected and correctly deduced that we were lying, then gave the big brother speech at the end of the ordeal after we came clean.
yeah - lying to CBSA - not something you want to be doing.

here's the thing - you are now married and have a pr application submitted. it is a completely different ball game now. they do NOT like cross-border couples who are dating. That is considered a huge red flag. being married - not so much, because it is assumed you know the rules and are taking the proper steps to live together. in my experience, they are friendlier to married couples. i get it though, if you can stay away, stay away.