25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Pollen said:
So we will need to file for taxes in the US when my hubby is living and working here in Canada? How does that work? Does he get double taxed? Is there any website that explains it? I thought you had to file in the US only if you made more than 100k a year so I'm confused.
Yes, you need to file in the U.S. He won't be double taxed since there are credits for overseas tax payments that should offset whatever he would owe in U.S. taxes. But filing is important. I don't know of a specific website, but do a google search and some good info comes up.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
TracyCa64 said:
Congratulations rugrat907!!! It must be such a great feeling.
It is! Got my SIN number and OHIP taken care of yesterday; it was all very straightforward.

nyctomtl

Star Member
Nov 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 August 2015
Doc's Request.
11 January 2016 CSQ
AOR Received.
16 September 2015
File Transfer...
07 October 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06 August 2015
Passport Req..
Decision Made 5 Feb 2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 8 Feb 2016
LANDED..........
20 Feb 2016
cali2bc said:
Hey all, I'm back! :) It's great to see so many of you further along or done with this process! I am finally landing in Kelowna next Monday - on BC's Family Day! I am traveling back to the US in March for a short weekend visit and coming back to Canada by commercial plane, but I will not have my PR card yet, as it will have only been a month or so since I landed. I understand that I need to show my PR card when returning to Canada.

Can anyone advise how to travel back to Canada without my PR card? Technically I can always show my US Passport and then explain my situation at the border, but I understand that's not the *right* way to do it, and I would rather avoid any potential hassle.

Thanks in advance for your input! :D

EDIT: I realize that CIC's website advises to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document once I am outside of Canada. Since I will be outside of Canada for a total of 2 days (and nowhere near a VAC), how would I even receive a PRTD in time for my return flight to Canada?
I don't have COPR yet but I've researched your question previously because I expect to fly back and forth a couple times a month once I have COPR.... Driving as mentioned above is no problem - you'll explain to the officer that you have COPR but haven't received your PR card.... With flying, I'm told, the problem is with the airline... At check in, they MAY ask you for proof of your status in Canada. I've been in Canada for 5 years and have probably flown back into Canada 20 times during that period and I've only been asked twice to confirm my status in Canada (which is temporary worker at this point). I supposed had I not been able to show my temporary worker visa on those two times, the airline would not have let me board.

However, if you have a return to the US ticket (and you can buy fully refundable tickets), you can show that to airline and that should satisfy them that you are not going to overstay. Personally I wouldn't mention that I was a PR. As far as the airline knows you are entering Canada as a visitor.... Of course at immigration you will explain that you are a PR without a PR card and you'll enter Canada as a PR. Not sure why the airline even cares - maybe they are on the hook financially if somebody is denied entry to Canada and has to fly back.

That's my plan but again it is untested. Please let me know if you have other thoughts... The PRTD is interesting though... No idea how long it takes to get but obviously that is a cleaner solution.

Hollywood

Jun 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
24-11-2015
AOR Received.
16-07-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 21-09-2015 FT: 28-09-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 21-12-2015
LANDED..........
31-12-2015
nyctomtl said:
I don't have COPR yet but I've researched your question previously because I expect to fly back and forth a couple times a month once I have COPR.... Driving as mentioned above is no problem - you'll explain to the officer that you have COPR but haven't received your PR card.... With flying, I'm told, the problem is with the airline... At check in, they MAY ask you for proof of your status in Canada. I've been in Canada for 5 years and have probably flown back into Canada 20 times during that period and I've only been asked twice to confirm my status in Canada (which is temporary worker at this point). I supposed had I not been able to show my temporary worker visa on those two times, the airline would not have let me board.

However, if you have a return to the US ticket (and you can buy fully refundable tickets), you can show that to airline and that should satisfy them that you are not going to overstay. Personally I wouldn't mention that I was a PR. As far as the airline knows you are entering Canada as a visitor.... Of course at immigration you will explain that you are a PR without a PR card and you'll enter Canada as a PR. Not sure why the airline even cares - maybe they are on the hook financially if somebody is denied entry to Canada and has to fly back.

That's my plan but again it is untested. Please let me know if you have other thoughts... The PRTD is interesting though... No idea how long it takes to get but obviously that is a cleaner solution.
We don't have our PR Card as yet.... they have been taking about 3 months I heard.... We have flown and drove to the US and the Caribbean as well with just the stapled COPR inside the US passport and we haven't had any issues whatsoever. We just mention that the card has been taking a few months to come in we heard and they laugh, wish us luck and let us on our way! You won't have issues if you're honest, patient and calm.

DanOCan

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-05-2015
File Transfer...
18-06-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-01-2016
bradybunchmom said:
I did the same thing. When did you send yours? I was starting to worry that I may have made a mistake. I mailed the form back in November.
I only sent in last month.

DanOCan

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-05-2015
File Transfer...
18-06-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-01-2016
Pollen said:
So we will need to file for taxes in the US when my hubby is living and working here in Canada? How does that work? Does he get double taxed? Is there any website that explains it? I thought you had to file in the US only if you made more than 100k a year so I'm confused.
Details straight from the proverbial horse's mouth here: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2015 (Decision Made 25-11-2015)
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
nyctomtl said:

[/quote]
We don't have our PR Card as yet.... they have been taking about 3 months I heard.... We have flown and drove to the US and the Caribbean as well with just the stapled COPR inside the US passport and we haven't had any issues whatsoever. We just mention that the card has been taking a few months to come in we heard and they laugh, wish us luck and let us on our way! You won't have issues if you're honest, patient and calm. [/quote]

Thank you both for your input! Hopefully everything will be fine!

CharisseyB

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
09-22-2015
AOR Received.
05-05-2015 Sponsorship Approval
File Transfer...
12-05-2015 Mississauga to Ottawa
Med's Done....
31-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 07-02-2016
LANDED..........
Possibly APRIL 2016
Hello Guys!!!

I am very happy to announce that after 10 excruciating months, my husband’s application has finally gone DM today!!!!I am soooo happy and anxious of his coming here!!! Can you please confirm a few stuff for me please....about his license....does he need to go to DMV to get a record of his driving record so they honour that here in BC? I just wanna confirm please and thanks...

CharisseyB

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
09-22-2015
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
31-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 07-02-2016
LANDED..........
Possibly APRIL 2016

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
CharisseyB said:
Hello Guys!!!

I am very happy to announce that after 10 excruciating months, my husband’s application has finally gone DM today!!!!I am soooo happy and anxious of his coming here!!! Can you please confirm a few stuff for me please....about his license....does he need to go to DMV to get a record of his driving record so they honour that here in BC? I just wanna confirm please and thanks...
You do have to get a driving record to prove that he has at least 2 years driving experience. I have read that the COPR is not a valid for obtaining a drivers license, though.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/obtaining-bc-driver-licence-before-pr-even-possible-t180792.0.html

Quoted from canuck_in_uk: "To clarify, the COPR isn't accepted to get the actual photocard license but it is accepted to get a paper license, which allows you to drive just the same. You need to then bring in the PR card for ICBC to issue you the photocard licence."

mercypls

Feb 7, 2016
Hi everyone! just joined the forum

My bf lives in the US atm and I'm a canadian citizen. Ideally he would like to move here at some point this spring and work while he waits for his application, however that would mean applying from inside of canada. It seems like the processing times for inland applications are ridiculously long atm. He wants to go back to school in 2017 here to finish his degree as a canadian but it seems like applying from inside canada would risk his PR not getting delivered in time to start uni that september. Judging from CICs website both inland and outland US applications are processed at the same facility? Is there really such a huge difference in time (24 months vs 17 months) for US applicants? Sorry if this is a stupid question! This whole very complex process seems a little excessive when you consider how similar our countries are.

Thanks!

CharisseyB

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
09-22-2015
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
31-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 07-02-2016
LANDED..........
Possibly APRIL 2016
Decoy24601 said:
You do have to get a driving record to prove that he has at least 2 years driving experience. I have read that the COPR is not a valid for obtaining a drivers license, though.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/obtaining-bc-driver-licence-before-pr-even-possible-t180792.0.html

Quoted from canuck_in_uk: "To clarify, the COPR isn't accepted to get the actual photocard license but it is accepted to get a paper license, which allows you to drive just the same. You need to then bring in the PR card for ICBC to issue you the photocard licence."

Hey! I just checked...he has to surrender his old driver’s license and show his driving record...so yeah... I looked into it...:)

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
mercypls said:
Hi everyone! just joined the forum

My bf lives in the US atm and I'm a canadian citizen. Ideally he would like to move here at some point this spring and work while he waits for his application, however that would mean applying from inside of canada. It seems like the processing times for inland applications are ridiculously long atm. He wants to go back to school in 2017 here to finish his degree as a canadian but it seems like applying from inside canada would risk his PR not getting delivered in time to start uni that september. Judging from CICs website both inland and outland US applications are processed at the same facility? Is there really such a huge difference in time (24 months vs 17 months) for US applicants? Sorry if this is a stupid question! This whole very complex process seems a little excessive when you consider how similar our countries are.

Thanks!
There really is a huge difference with inland and outland. Some people outland I've been seeing lately get COPR in 4 months or 5. No joke. They sent in a complete app and they had no red flags, and boom. Inland you are looking at a very long time. I'd prepare for 2 years but maybe you'd get it in slightly less time. There is ZERO chance you'll get COPR faster inland than outland.

Send in a complete app, with everything they ask for, triple check the forms, and you and your future husband could be looking at a really short timeframe for outland. I honestly think this is the better option, and most people agree here.

If he wants to finish his degree in 2017 the only way to even do that IMO is by going outland - if you are marrying this year anyway. Working won't happen outland, sorry. Neither will going to school. If you can afford it, he could live with you as a visitor. But he's strictly forbidden from working and studying in Canadian schools.

missp

Jul 24, 2014
Hi guys, my spouse just got to the US on a 1 year study visa. I am about to put in the sponsorship application. We want the application to be done from the US as it is faster compared to our home country. He had a US visiting visa before the study visa. Will cic send the application to the US for processing? Or they will still send the application to his home country? Also should i fill the checklist form for the US or for my home country? I don't want to do anything that will get my application returned