March 21, 2015
Interview........
IP: Oct. 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
cali2bc said:
Hey Ineffable! Congratulations on landing!!! I am curious if having a PR card on hand matters when you have a U.S. passport. If you are visa-exempt, then I would assume showing your passport to the airlines would suffice, and then it's up to you to present proof of your status (signed COPR and passport) to CBSA. It was my understanding that traveling without your PR card is more of an issue for people who are not visa exempt, since airlines do not want to be liable if someone does not have a visa to enter Canada.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong! :)
Thanks, cali2bc!

From what I am reading on the CIC site, they're changing the rules as of March 16, 2016, that COPR—once used to activate PR—will be good only for re-entry into Canada at land borders with your own vehicle.

Things currently are up to the discretion of the CBSA officer and airline when it comes to COPR being used as evidence of PR regarding airline travel. I am hoping that the adage that you don't need your PR card if you're from a visa-exempt country like the US will be the same. (I'm hoping that doesn't change either in March.)

I just need someone to confirm they've done it so I don't get stuck in the US, unable to return to Canada until my PR card arrives. (Just when I think, "Oh, the confusing, hard part is over.")

Normally, I wouldn't have thought twice about my upcoming trip, but because the CBSA agent specifically pointed it out to me and told me to find out prior to leaving, I figured I'd do just that.

Hnamson1

Nov 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/03/2015
Doc's Request.
17/09/2015
AOR Received.
In Process 22/09/2015
Med's Done....
19/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-11-2015 DM/ 23/11/2015 COPR
LANDED..........
27/11/2015
Hi all, I landed yesterday through YYZ. No problem at all, it took about 30-45 min in total. As far as travel I asked the agent as well since I still work in the U.S. And travel weekly. She told me it should not be an issue since I am from the U.S. And have a U.S. Passport but the final decision is up to the agent. I will have to travel at least 8-10 times via YYZ before my card comes we shall see

WDWgirl2011

Nov 4, 2014
Hnamson1 said:
Hi all, I landed yesterday through YYZ. No problem at all, it took about 30-45 min in total. As far as travel I asked the agent as well since I still work in the U.S. And travel weekly. She told me it should not be an issue since I am from the U.S. And have a U.S. Passport but the final decision is up to the agent. I will have to travel at least 8-10 times via YYZ before my card comes we shall see
Congratulations on landing! I'm landing today at YYZ. How did you fill out the customs declaration form? I don't know if I should write down my US address or my new Canadian address and if I should fill out the visitors section or the residents section.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
Hey guys!

We're do close to applying. Printed some of it out, making sure everything is there, etc. Gonna finish printing tomorrow and hopefully take it right to Purilator.

I just want to confirm that for US applicants none of the 4 photos need to have anything written on them, right?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
ayrazar said:
Hey guys!

We're do close to applying. Printed some of it out, making sure everything is there, etc. Gonna finish printing tomorrow and hopefully take it right to Purilator.

I just want to confirm that for US applicants none of the 4 photos need to have anything written on them, right?
I'm not sure about that. The photographer stamped ours with date and photo centre it was taken in.

For the PR card photo specifications:

*The back of one (1) photograph must:

bear the name and complete address of the photography studio
bear the date the photograph was taken
the photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information. Stick-on labels
are unacceptable.

But the US specifications don't have that part, and it has completely different photo sizes.

BMahoney90

Jul 27, 2015
Hey all -

If CIC has the estimated processing time in New York at 39 months, why is it recommended to apply outland?

Sorry for the rookie question!

BMahoney90

Jul 27, 2015
BMahoney90 said:
Hey all -

If CIC has the estimated processing time in New York at 39 months, why is it recommended to apply outland?

Ah, I see now that a PR spousal application is processed at CPC Ottawa, not in New York (or LA).

So it would be (presumably, worst case) 17 months outland vs. 27 months (10 + 17) inland?

Such a shame these things are so difficult.

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
BMahoney90 said:
Hey all -

According to what people are saying with their own timelines it actually looks like US Outland apps are more like 6-10 months on average. Some shorter, a few longer. Inland apps are longer from timelines. Closer to two years on average maybe? Also for outland you can go to America to visit people if you choose. But the hard part is that you have a chance, a small chance but a chance, of having to go to NYC or LA for an interview should you need one. Also, you don't gain temporary sort of 'visitor level' residency in Canada while the application processes if you do outland. So you'll have to apply for visitor extensions and hope for the best while you wait for your outland application to go through. (That's what I'm doing, as I want to stay with my husband in Canada).

In sum, outland US apps are actually going through very quickly, and inland apps are going very slowly. Most people choose outland for this reason.

BMahoney90

Jul 27, 2015
JamesinCanada said:
According to what people are saying with their own timelines it actually looks like US Outland apps are more like 6-10 months on average. Some shorter, a few longer. Inland apps are longer from timelines. Closer to two years on average maybe? Also for outland you can go to America to visit people if you choose. But the hard part is that you have a chance, a small chance but a chance, of having to go to NYC or LA for an interview should you need one. Also, you don't gain temporary sort of 'visitor level' residency in Canada while the application processes if you do outland. So you'll have to apply for visitor extensions and hope for the best while you wait for your outland application to go through. (That's what I'm doing, as I want to stay with my husband in Canada).

In sum, outland US apps are actually going through very quickly, and inland apps are going very slowly. Most people choose outland for this reason.
Ah, yes. Just noticed my error. Thanks for the clarification!

I remember reading about "applied status" on this forum. Makes sense that it is only available to those who apply from within Canada.

Still, the difference between the process taking ~10 months vs. ~ 20-24 months is drastic.

8-10 months really doesn't look so bad when you can already stay 6 months without needing to fill out any paperwork at a US citizen.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
BMahoney90 said:
Ah, yes. Just noticed my error. Thanks for the clarification!

I remember reading about "applied status" on this forum. Makes sense that it is only available to those who apply from within Canada.

Still, the difference between the process taking ~10 months vs. ~ 20-24 months is drastic.

8-10 months really doesn't look so bad when you can already stay 6 months without needing to fill out any paperwork at a US citizen.
"Implied status", inland only gives that if you apply for the OWP. But, you are right, that's why it's best for Americans to apply outland. Some apps go through even faster than 6 months. Some people are getting theirs in 3.5 months (someone just applied in August and got their DM already). My husband got his in just under 4 months. With inland, you are guaranteed a 2 year wait. Only the worst-case scenario apps will end up being that long for outland.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
Aquakitty said:
I'm not sure about that. The photographer stamped ours with date and photo centre it was taken in.

For the PR card photo specifications:

*The back of one (1) photograph must:

bear the name and complete address of the photography studio
bear the date the photograph was taken
the photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information. Stick-on labels
are unacceptable.

But the US specifications don't have that part, and it has completely different photo sizes.
Yeah, this is the bit that messes me up. Ah well. I'll just follow the US guideline..

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
ayrazar said:
Yeah, this is the bit that messes me up. Ah well. I'll just follow the US guideline..
My photographer gave us a set of both stamped and plain. So I put them both in so CIC could decide.

Perie

Oct 23, 2015
ayrazar said:
We just sent 4 photos per the USA specific guide and didn't write anything on the back. Just got DM Last week. Good luck!