+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

lea83

Apr 15, 2013
Shylox said:
Yea as long as you're already in Canada you definitely can! When I called to make an appointment they told me it would take a month to even get an appointment but someone called me the next day to set one up the same week so I was landed and done super quick. I'm in Vancouver, I'm not sure if other offices are that quick but it's your call if you want to try.

If you call and they can't get you an appointment until next millennium then you can always drive to the border instead of waiting too.
Im in Vancouver too so maybe it will work and ill get lucky to get an appointment too :)

nsr

Jan 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
AOR Received.
8-01-2012(Mississauga) 28-03-2012 (buffalo)
File Transfer...
26-01-2012
Med's Request
25-07-2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2011, 26 July,2013
Interview........
July 2013-passed
Passport Req..
21-08-2013, sent on 27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06 september, 2013
LANDED..........
27 september, 2013
Ambber29 said:
Hi Nsr,

Did you ever receive re-medical request? We did not receive but we decided to do it.
We have not heard anything from LA and we applied in August 2011. I simply think it is too much. We were scheduled to be interviewed in June 2012.

Our MP said our file is in LA and iwating to be reviewed.
It is simply too much. How do i stay away from my husband for two years and when you are newly wed. I just visit two to three days every three months.
Hi Ambber29,

I didn't receive any re-medicals from them but my lawyer doesn't want to go for it until they ask for it. So I will wait until they ask for it. I applied in Nov 2011, so you should hear from them any time soon as well. I know how this waiting feels because i didn't receive anything from them in 11 months but this interview date has given me strength and hope to go through interview positively.

good luck!!!!!!

MisterDBarton

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
18-08-2012
AOR Received.
29-09-2012
File Transfer...
10-10-2012
Med's Request
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
Dear client,

In order to finalize your application for your permanent residence, our office would require 2 recent photographs.

Photographs:

You must submit two (2) recent photographs of yourself and of each accompanying family member that meet the requirements stated on this webpage.

How to Send your Documents to the Case Processing Pilot – Ottawa (CPP-O)

If photographs have been requested, you are required to submit all documents in hard copy format, by MAIL. Please submit all the requested items together in a single package. Please quote your application number on your correspondence and send the package to one of the following addresses:

Canada Post:
CPP – Ottawa
PO Box 9780
Ottawa ON K1G 4B9

Courier:
CPP – Ottawa
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa ON K1A 1L1

If no original documents have been requested, you may submit copies of your documents by mail, by fax, or as scanned images attached to an email to OttPilot-Immigration@cic.gc.ca .

The requested information/documents must be received in our office within 60 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application.

Final Note

The issuance of your visa(s) cannot be delayed so it is important for you to submit your documents and pay the RPRF as soon as possible. An expiration date (dd/mm/yy) will be indicated on your visa and/or on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR – IMM 5688), and you must obtain permanent residence on or before that date. The visas and CoPR cannot be extended. If you are not prepared to live permanently in Canada immediately after your permanent residence is granted, please consult the CIC website regarding your obligations to retain your status in Canada.
So...this is it, this is the news we were waiting for I hope? We just need to send them 2 (more..) images?! :D Also, how long is the Visa/CoPR good for? I thought I hear 180 days/6 months? My wife and I obviously cannot move this week/month but we had originally planned to move around the end of July, so this is working out right within our timeline :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MisterDBarton said:
So...this is it, this is the news we were waiting for I hope? We just need to send them 2 (more..) images?! :D Also, how long is the Visa/CoPR good for? I thought I hear 180 days/6 months? My wife and I obviously cannot move this week/month but we had originally planned to move around the end of July, so this is working out right within our timeline :)
Congratulations!

Normally, the expiration of the COPR is the expiration of your medicals or your passport, whichever is sooner.

MisterDBarton

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
18-08-2012
AOR Received.
29-09-2012
File Transfer...
10-10-2012
Med's Request
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
computergeek said:
Congratulations!

Normally, the expiration of the COPR is the expiration of your medicals or your passport, whichever is sooner.
I'm probably confusing this with something else then. I thought I heard that once I'm actually approved, we have X amount of time to move to Canada and avoid duty or something. I'm hoping we have until at least July/August to get our affairs in order and such.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
eCAS Status changed to Decision Made on April 22nd.

moidyn

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
AOR Received.
09-11-2012
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2013
LANDED..........
04-05-2013
cempjwi said:
eCAS Status changed to Decision Made on April 22nd.
Congrats, that is wonderful and soooooo encouraging!!

purpleochre

Apr 25, 2013
Hi there! After spending a day and a half reading through the posts on this board, I finally found this thread and realized I that an outland application was even an option for me. However, I'm not entirely sure if my situation merits using the outland process...

Here's my situation:
1) I'm a U.S. citizen, but have been living in Canada for the past 5 years on a study permit while I work on my PhD. Because I live in BC and will eventually have a graduate degree in biology, I will be eligible for permanent residence on my own once I receive my PhD; and this has been my intention for a few years now.
2) Two years ago I met my (now) husband, who is a Canadian citizen. We were married last September, and now we're slogging through the family-class permanent-resident application since I can apply for it before I finish my PhD.
3) The catch is that, as I understand it, the outland application process does not allow the sponsored spouse to get a work permit to stay in the country, while the inland process allows the inclusion of an open work permit application with the permanent residence application.
4) However, because I'll have a graduate degree from a BC university, I'm eligible for a 3-year open work permit as soon as I finish my PhD. This will hopefully happen this October.

Here's my question:
If I apply for permanent residency using the outland application process but while waiting for it to be processed, my study permit expires and I apply for a work permit (based on my graduate degree, not on my husband being a citizen here), does this change my ability or chances of getting the work permit?

I ask this because I have heard of other people applying for a visitor visa during the outland application process, and being reject because the permanent resident application clearly indicates their intention to stay in Canada beyond the length of their visitor visa. Does this concern about "intent to remain in Canada" also apply to applications for temporary status such as study or work permits? Given my circumstances, would it be better to apply using the inland application process?

Thanks in advance!

Lemondrop78

Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 6th, 2012
Med's Done....
Feb 10th, 2012 granted extension til Feb 6th, 2014 (I didn't even know!)
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued April 23rd, 2013
LANDED..........
Planning end of May or early June
Do US outland applicants get requested to send the passports also to immigration? or is it only for countries that require a visa? My status is "decision made" just the other day. Will they ask for my passport next or should they have asked for it before my status turned to "decision made"?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Lemondrop78 said:
Do US outland applicants get requested to send the passports also to immigration? or is it only for countries that require a visa? My status is "decision made" just the other day. Will they ask for my passport next or should they have asked for it before my status turned to "decision made"?
Not typically. Usually they are asked for copies of their passport, although a few people have gotten their COPR with the copies included in the application.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Lemondrop78 said:
Some of them yes, but not all. If they haven't asked for it, then they might have used the copy with the application (as Amikety said)

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
parker24 said:
Some of them yes, but not all. If they haven't asked for it, then they might have used the copy with the application (as Amikety said)
even VO asked for your husband's passport... right Parker24 ?

I would say depends on Visa Officer. if they want the passport or just the scanned image..

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
simb said:
even VO asked for your husband's passport... right Parker24 ?

I would say depends on Visa Officer. if they want the passport or just the scanned image..
Yeah, which scared us because we both don't trust USPS and CP haha

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
purpleochre said:
Hi there! After spending a day and a half reading through the posts on this board, I finally found this thread and realized I that an outland application was even an option for me. However, I'm not entirely sure if my situation merits using the outland process...

Here's my situation:
1) I'm a U.S. citizen, but have been living in Canada for the past 5 years on a study permit while I work on my PhD. Because I live in BC and will eventually have a graduate degree in biology, I will be eligible for permanent residence on my own once I receive my PhD; and this has been my intention for a few years now.
2) Two years ago I met my (now) husband, who is a Canadian citizen. We were married last September, and now we're slogging through the family-class permanent-resident application since I can apply for it before I finish my PhD.
3) The catch is that, as I understand it, the outland application process does not allow the sponsored spouse to get a work permit to stay in the country, while the inland process allows the inclusion of an open work permit application with the permanent residence application.
4) However, because I'll have a graduate degree from a BC university, I'm eligible for a 3-year open work permit as soon as I finish my PhD. This will hopefully happen this October.

Here's my question:
If I apply for permanent residency using the outland application process but while waiting for it to be processed, my study permit expires and I apply for a work permit (based on my graduate degree, not on my husband being a citizen here), does this change my ability or chances of getting the work permit?

I ask this because I have heard of other people applying for a visitor visa during the outland application process, and being reject because the permanent resident application clearly indicates their intention to stay in Canada beyond the length of their visitor visa. Does this concern about "intent to remain in Canada" also apply to applications for temporary status such as study or work permits? Given my circumstances, would it be better to apply using the inland application process?

Thanks in advance!
While there is nothing codified in law, the fact you are a US Citizen means that it is extremely unlikely they will reject your temporary status. Further, if they DO reject your application, you would have good grounds for appealing such a decision OR requesting a temporary resident permit (overcoming your "inadmissibility"). I lived in Canada with my spouse on a work permit (here in BC) while the PR application was in process and had no issues (well, let's say "no issues with the sponsored PR application").

If you applied for outland PR at this point it is likely you'd be approved by the time you finish your PhD program in any case.

Good luck!