Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
IvanP said:
That's because they don't work 500 feet to the south. By comparison with the agents on the US side, a rabid moose would seem reasonable.
Oh man, that made me laugh so hard XD

My eCas has been weird lately (same for many people, I have seen in other threads).
MY UCI logging in shows nothing, but logging in using my husband's UCI shows "Decision Made"

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
computergeek said:
I've been hassled about equally either direction. CBSA is the only side that's ever searched my automobile, though (it was a Zip Car, no less, so it didn't take long, though you never know what other people have used the car to transport...)

But I have Nexus as well, which minimizes the hassle factor.
While I find the US side to be ... arrogant (more than one encounter haha) The Canadian side is MUCH more strict IMO. When hubby was landing, there were two girls, early 20's who were hauled in and their car was searched. The officer asked them "What did you buy at the duty free shop? You know you have to claim that too right?" They were stammering and stuttering trying to say something. I felt bad for them, but at the same time, if you don't claim everything, your car can be taken (Which the officer informed them to their dismay)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
parker24 said:
While I find the US side to be ... arrogant (more than one encounter haha) The Canadian side is MUCH more strict IMO. When hubby was landing, there were two girls, early 20's who were hauled in and their car was searched. The officer asked them "What did you buy at the duty free shop? You know you have to claim that too right?" They were stammering and stuttering trying to say something. I felt bad for them, but at the same time, if you don't claim everything, your car can be taken (Which the officer informed them to their dismay)
I always declare everything. They're generally pretty lenient, but it's their discretion to be so, not mine to fail to declare things to them. For me, it's not worth risking a lot of trouble to save $50 or $100.

In addition, what many people call "duty" is just HST collected by CBSA at the border. For example, we bought our TV from the US - a very nice 3D unit that I'd spent a lot of time shopping to find a real bargain (including free shipping in the US). So I had it shipped to the border. We had to pay $300 at the border, but we did it gladly - the price on that unit was still less than 50% of the price for which I could find it in Canada - and I'd have paid more than 2x the HST on it.

Government isn't free. We can argue about how they spend it, and I can understand not paying more than you owe, but there's a certain reasonable responsibility to contribute.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
computergeek said:
I always declare everything. They're generally pretty lenient, but it's their discretion to be so, not mine to fail to declare things to them. For me, it's not worth risking a lot of trouble to save $50 or $100.

In addition, what many people call "duty" is just HST collected by CBSA at the border. For example, we bought our TV from the US - a very nice 3D unit that I'd spent a lot of time shopping to find a real bargain (including free shipping in the US). So I had it shipped to the border. We had to pay $300 at the border, but we did it gladly - the price on that unit was still less than 50% of the price for which I could find it in Canada - and I'd have paid more than 2x the HST on it.

Government isn't free. We can argue about how they spend it, and I can understand not paying more than you owe, but there's a certain reasonable responsibility to contribute.
Well said, and the most important practical point here is: Never, ever mess with people who are empowered by law to have discretion over your life.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
On Saturday Feb 9th (yes, on a saturday!) we received a communication requesting additional documents (which we expected) and these two paragraphs were among the list od requested info:

<b>Ø Paragraph 130(1)(b) states that, subject to subsections (2) and (3), a sponsor, for the purpose of sponsoring a foreign national who makes an application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who resides in Canada.

Based on the information you have provided, I am not satisfied that your sponsor resides in Canada from the day on which the application was filed up to now. Accordingly you may not meet the requirements of paragraph 130(1)(b) and section 120 of the Regulations.
</b>

The sponsor lives in the US with the applicant and before submitting our application we made sure that a Canadian citizen living abroad is allowed to sponsor (and in fact, Sponsorship was approved). My concern is that the agent completely disregarded the following paragraph that is right below the one he/she quoted, and that is also part of the regulation, as follows:

Paragraph 130(2), a sponsor who is a Canadian citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor an application referred to in subsection (1) by their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children if the sponsor will reside in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

Are we missing something here? Has any other applicant whose sponsor is living outside Canada experienced this same situation? Please note that this is NOT a request from CIC to prove that the sponsor will move to Canada but rather a statement saying that it is assumed that sponsors outside Canada cannot sponsor (even when born citizens and never having sponsored before).

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
What an odd request???? It would seem imo that you should reply (enclosing any other info they have requested) but also quoting the second paragraph and enclosing proof of your intentions to settle in Canada once pr is granted (thats what thy usually ask for when citizens are abroad and sponsoring their spouses), so email from realtors regarding property viewings, emails / letters from prospectve employers, copies of conversations you've had with family regarding living arrangements when coming back, joint bank accounts.

Basically anything you can send them that proves that once pr is granted you will both be movig here.

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
cempjwi said:
On Saturday Feb 9th (yes, on a saturday!) we received a communication requesting additional documents (which we expected) and these two paragraphs were among the list od requested info:

<b>Ø Paragraph 130(1)(b) states that, subject to subsections (2) and (3), a sponsor, for the purpose of sponsoring a foreign national who makes an application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who resides in Canada.

Based on the information you have provided, I am not satisfied that your sponsor resides in Canada from the day on which the application was filed up to now. Accordingly you may not meet the requirements of paragraph 130(1)(b) and section 120 of the Regulations.
</b>
So first thing did you check on the application that the sponsor lives in Canada, which may have prompted the first statement. Secondly, it then appears you need to make it clear with documentation exactly where the sponsor lives and his intentions. I know how unnerving these letters can be as we received an email asking to prove my sponsor is living in Canada. We provided all that and the problem was solved. These seems to be a rash of these proving where the sponsor lives and their intentions long after sponsor approval. I suspect clarifying with documentation will help
The sponsor lives in the US with the applicant and before submitting our application we made sure that a Canadian citizen living abroad is allowed to sponsor (and in fact, Sponsorship was approved). My concern is that the agent completely disregarded the following paragraph that is right below the one he/she quoted, and that is also part of the regulation, as follows:

Paragraph 130(2), a sponsor who is a Canadian citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor an application referred to in subsection (1) by their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children if the sponsor will reside in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

Are we missing something here? Has any other applicant whose sponsor is living outside Canada experienced this same situation? Please note that this is NOT a request from CIC to prove that the sponsor will move to Canada but rather a statement saying that it is assumed that sponsors outside Canada cannot sponsor (even when born citizens and never having sponsored before).

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone, I currently is on a two years visitors record and is ready to send in my application for outland. However, I need my FBI clearance. Can anyone please explain to me how I would get an FBI clearance from within Canada. Thank you.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Thanks for responding. Our application forms definitely state that sponsor lives in the US. We are preparing a statement refering to paragraph 130(2) and an explanation of the plans the sponsor has to re-locate to Canada once the PR application is approved.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
LovingMyCanuck said:
Hey everyone, I currently is on a two years visitors record and is ready to send in my application for outland. However, I need my FBI clearance. Can anyone please explain to me how I would get an FBI clearance from within Canada. Thank you.
Lazy reply:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3910e.pdf

Then go here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

Better reply:

Go to the second link, follow the instructions to the FBI site. Print off the papers listed. Find someone to do fingerprints (check RCMP, but many places won't do it anymore). Get fingerprints. Fill out form from FBI site and print. Mail to FBI with payment enclosed. You can put your Canadian address and they will mail it to you in Canada at no extra charge. It took about 5 weeks for me.

If you pay for the fingerprint service, I would use someone that guarantees their prints. It saved me $30 because my first set wasn't read by the FBI's machines. Unless you have really bad prints, use the ink rolled service. (If you've handled cash all your working life, i. e., cashier, bank teller - you might want to opt for live scan right away.) Someone qualified for FBI prints will have the cards at their location and verify your ID and write your name on the card before letting you have it.

If RCMP doesn't do fingerprints, use Google to find a service.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
cempjwi said:
Thanks for responding. Our application forms definitely state that sponsor lives in the US. We are preparing a statement refering to paragraph 130(2) and an explanation of the plans the sponsor has to re-locate to Canada once the PR application is approved.
I think you'll be fine, but definitely fill us in when you get a response!

slynn

Dec 3, 2012
Wahooo!!!

We received COPR today!!!!

I will be immigrating this weekend.

Just wanted to tell you all about what happened to us just in case it happens to you too.

On January 8th, 2013, I received the passport request via email. They also asked for my Quebec Selection Certificate since I will be living in Quebec. I sent it off the same day attached in an email.

I didn't hear anything back from them for a week, until they sent me another email. This email was extremely vague - it just had an attachment of the medical examination forms. In the email it didn't say they wanted us to get a medical exam or that they needed evidence that we already had it - it just had a vague form attached. A day after this I received another email requesting the passport AGAIN. It was very confusing for me. So, I emailed them our medical exam info (since it was done before we mailed our application) along with another copy of my passport - and explained what had happened in the previous emails.

I didn't hear anything back from them for a few weeks. I then went in to check the status of our application and it changed to "in process". I kept checking to see if it was updated since I knew after the passport request it doesn't take long to get the COPR. But... NOTHING still. Finally, I checked a few days ago and the online status system wouldn't even let me log into our page. It said it didn't find our information. It was really weird and very frustrating. I was going to call today, but received the COPR in the mail!

It just seems very disorganized in some ways, and frustrating at moments when you have no idea what is happening on their end - but in the end it works out.

Thank you for all of your help on this forum!!!

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
slynn said:
Wahooo!!!

Just wanted to tell you all about what happened to us just in case it happens to you too.

On January 8th, 2013, I received the passport request via email. They also asked for my Quebec Selection Certificate since I will be living in Quebec. I sent it off the same day attached in an email.

I didn't hear anything back from them for a week, until they sent me another email. This email was extremely vague - it just had an attachment of the medical examination forms. In the email it didn't say they wanted us to get a medical exam or that they needed evidence that we already had it - it just had a vague form attached. A day after this I received another email requesting the passport AGAIN. It was very confusing for me. So, I emailed them our medical exam info (since it was done before we mailed our application) along with another copy of my passport - and explained what had happened in the previous emails.

I didn't hear anything back from them for a few weeks. I then went in to check the status of our application and it changed to "in process". I kept checking to see if it was updated since I knew after the passport request it doesn't take long to get the COPR. But... NOTHING still. Finally, I checked a few days ago and the online status system wouldn't even let me log into our page. It said it didn't find our information. It was really weird and very frustrating. I was going to call today, but received the COPR in the mail!

It just seems very disorganized in some ways, and frustrating at moments when you have no idea what is happening on their end - but in the end it works out.

Congrats slynn!!! You must be so happy this is all done! Do you mind me asking when you applied? Just nice to know what your approximate time for approval was.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
slynn said:
Wahooo!!!

Congrats! I've updated the spreadsheet and you're now a lovely shade of violet!

slynn

Dec 3, 2012
My application was received on May 31st, 2012. In total it took around 8 months. It was really straight forward - they never requested additional information since we had a complete applicatioin. We just had one small extra step than the rest of Canada which was to apply to Quebec also to receive the Quebec Selection Certificate. I'm not sure if our process would have been a little shorter without this step or not? My timeline is also on the ottawa spreadsheet.

:) Good luck everyone!