Jan 16, 2018
USA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-08-2016
Things are finally coming together for us - got the passport request last week, and hopefully will have the CoPR by the end of the month! It's really exciting to hear that they are getting issued so quickly. :)

BTW, anybody else have a hard time getting the photos taken correctly? It's been a real pain in the butt here.

ChaosCat

Jan 16, 2018
USA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-08-2016
Just wanted to introduce myself here - PennyMac born raised and still live in Ottawa, ON, Canadian, Married to JeffMac from NY, we sent in our package on Thursday April 19 and it was signed by R Mahmoud this morning, Monday APril 23. So now we wait. My husband and I live 1.5hrs apart and we see each other 3-4 days a week. He's never been outside the US until we met, and moved to NY from southern US to as close as we can be until he gets PR.
When we were traveling together around St-Patty's day we were coming into Canada to go to brunch and CBSA made us go inside. We updated our record with our marriage certificate and told them we were submitting our PR paperwork in a few days. The immigration officer told us when we get our case number we can come in and they will issue Jeff a 'dual intent' visa.
I really hope that it doesn't take 100 days for CIC to give us our case #, because with the dual intent my husband can come live with me and move up here on this Visa while waiting for the PR to go through.

I wonder if we can get the dual intent now even though we have no case number, but I do have the proof that it was signed and received in Mississauga. I would be so happy if that was possible for us to do early and I will try this weekend.
He still works in NY state, and would travel to work 5 days a week, but at least we would see each other everyday which is what we want.

Has anyone else had a dual intent while waiting? What do you think we need to know based on your experience?

I was able to live with my husband in Canada for 2-3 years without even filing the PR paperwork.. I entered the country with my husband and a carload of stuff, and told the border agents that I was planning to stay with him for several months while we worked on the PR paperwork (which was true, we just never actually got it done), and then just sent away a form every 6 months to renew my temporary status. The only problem came with the last renewal application - either I forgot to include the copy of my passport or they lost it, so they denied the renewal and told me to leave the country by a certain date. For the most part the border agents were pretty chill about allowing me in and out of the country several times even after that, until we just got the wrong agent on the wrong day and she denied me entry until we submitted that PR application.

headingforcanada101

Nov 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
AOR Received.
14-06-2018
Things are finally coming together for us - got the passport request last week, and hopefully will have the CoPR by the end of the month! It's really exciting to hear that they are getting issued so quickly. :)

BTW, anybody else have a hard time getting the photos taken correctly? It's been a real pain in the butt here.
I had the hardest time getting PR photo specifications here in the states. I finally found that Walgreens has the right size specifications. You just ask that the photos be printed to Canadian Passport Specifications which are the same size as PR photos. They are $14.99 a set.

Good luck.

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Port Alice, British Columbia
Category........
FAM
You should go ahead and order your notes to atleast find out where your app is. My app was transferred to Ottawa may 24, then sent back to Mississauga on July 17. I received an email October 20 that my app would be processed in Mississauga
How do you order your notes and when should you order them? Just curious because someone on one of the Facebook forums suggested that to me today and I didn’t understand?

Roadtorusso

Star Member
Aug 25, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
18-07-2017
Doc's Request.
18-12-2017
AOR Received.
06-09-2017
File Transfer...
29-09-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-09-2018
Hi all! Husband is planning on doing his landing sometime in the next few weeks. He will be driving across the Douglas border crossing. Any tips or tricks for a smooth landing? He has nexus, not sure if anything needs to be done for that. I read on another forum that we can conveyance his truck and import it once we figure out the buy out and all those details. He will continue to work in Blaine for the time being as it is only a hop skip and jump away from where we are. Hoping there are no issues with him going back and forth. Thanks in advance!!

M

marilamb

Any of you apply to "Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor". Looking to do this for my hubby. As well my friend who just got married is looking to apply for her USA hubby too. We have applied for PR and they have not. Looking for a quick answer. If we apply by paper do we get a email saying the app is being processed and not returned? Worried about making a small mistake and hubbys being out of status if that happens.

springbok

Jun 12, 2016
Any of you apply to "Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor". Looking to do this for my hubby. As well my friend who just got married is looking to apply for her USA hubby too. We have applied for PR and they have not. Looking for a quick answer. If we apply by paper do we get a email saying the app is being processed and not returned? Worried about making a small mistake and hubbys being out of status if that happens.
I applied for my wife a week ago, using the online system. Turn around time they say is 30 days. Paper, that say is 90 days. I found it gruelling to fill in the paperwork; almost as much work as completing the outland PR paperwork. And all this for a VISITOR extension. To add: the online system was quite easy to use. Of note: no need to physically sign the paperwork. You fill the pdf out electronically, and leave the signature blank and upload it. Later in the submission process, you sign it electronically.

M

marilamb

I applied for my wife a week ago, using the online system. Turn around time they say is 30 days. Paper, that say is 90 days. I found it gruelling to fill in the paperwork; almost as much work as completing the outland PR paperwork. And all this for a VISITOR extension. To add: the online system was quite easy to use. Of note: no need to physically sign the paperwork. You fill the pdf out electronically, and leave the signature blank and upload it. Later in the submission process, you sign it electronically.
We tried online, and it said our files were too big. Need to attach court dockets, hubby has a dismissed charge.

springbok

Jun 12, 2016
I sent the outland application in yesterday for my US wife. (she is living with me right now on a visitor record). 12 month countdown is on.

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Port Alice, British Columbia
Category........
FAM
So, I don't have a huge amount of experience with this, but what I've heard is that your VO might be Mississauga, but they may still push you over to Ottawa for processing without necessarily informing you.

What I do know is that if you're a US applicant, you'll be processed in Mississauga -- however, if they subsequently decide to interview you, then your application will be sent to a VO in the US. If that happens, you'll definitely be informed.

By and large, though, we US applicants get an email saying we'll be processed in Mississauga and then it all happens behind the scenes from there.
My husband received an email saying processed in Mississauga but I never did.... I’m the PA is that common for the sponsor to receive notification and not the sponsored spouse??

mastiff78

May 8, 2018
Thanks! I actually ended up going to UPS this morning and they figured it out... though the guy at the desk and his manager had no idea how to do it at first but they seemed to make it works. Hopefully it does actually work or else I guess I’ll have to send it again and do the FedEx account
I know you're probably already in Canada by now, but I was wondering if UPS thingy worked for you. Let me know. Thanks

mastiff78

May 8, 2018
My wife received the request this morning to send her passport copy to Ottawa with a prepaid return envelope and other documents via courier. I read a bit about issues regarding getting prepaid return envelope from Canada to the US. Is UPS still the best place to go for this return envelope?
Can she give my Canadian mailing address for the return envelope? Or does it have to be her US home address? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

waiting10yrs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Yesterday we received a message to get a RCMP background check because I have been in Canada over 7 months. As well, I received a message to send the Right to PR Fee, which is the $490 that we did not pay in the beginning. This happened at 111 days for us. Just a heads up for other Americans.

keh_american

Jun 4, 2018
My wife received the request this morning to send her passport copy to Ottawa with a prepaid return envelope and other documents via courier. I read a bit about issues regarding getting prepaid return envelope from Canada to the US. Is UPS still the best place to go for this return envelope?
Can she give my Canadian mailing address for the return envelope? Or does it have to be her US home address? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

I used Fedex to send mine and I went into one of their shipping centers to get there help. I tried UPS first but they didn’t know how to do the international return, however, that could just be the particular location I went to. Good luck!!

Duemanshi

Star Member
May 27, 2018
Anyone had their file transferred to Los Angeles? February applicant here, passed my meds in May and my file was transferred to LA about a month ago. I know things seems to go slower when transferred there, just curious if anyone here had similar experiences/ how long it took to make any progress or if they were called to an interview. Thanks.