App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
20-09-2017
Hey guys I haven't been able to find the answer to my question.. With my background check processing, I know my passport request will be next. The problem is that I am from the US and I only have a passport card, not a passport book. Is this going to be a problem? Also I did send certified copies of my passport card along with my application. Is it possible I will not need to go through the ppr process? This process is so stressful, as you all know. please help

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
Hey guys I haven't been able to find the answer to my question.. With my background check processing, I know my passport request will be next. The problem is that I am from the US and I only have a passport card, not a passport book. Is this going to be a problem? Also I did send certified copies of my passport card along with my application. Is it possible I will not need to go through the ppr process? This process is so stressful, as you all know. please help
Yes, you will still have the passport request. My American husband did and we also sent his passport information with his application.

I've never heard of a passport card. Is that the same thing as a Nexus card used for crossing the border?

Mbcu95

Aug 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
20-09-2017
Yes, you will still have the passport request. My American husband did and we also sent his passport information with his application.

I've never heard of a passport card. Is that the same thing as a Nexus card used for crossing the border?
The passport card is a credit card–sized national identity card and limited travel document produced in the United States. Like a passport booklet, the passport card is only issued to U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals. I just don't know if I will need a passport book as well, because I think the reason we get the passport request is so they can stamp it.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
The passport card is a credit card–sized national identity card and limited travel document produced in the United States. Like a passport booklet, the passport card is only issued to U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals. I just don't know if I will need a passport book as well, because I think the reason we get the passport request is so they can stamp it.
No, they don't stamp it. Americans don't send the actual passport. They send a copy of the photo/information page at the front. They also send copies of any pages that have notes written on them by border officials (usually the pages at the very back of the passport - although in my Canadian passport, those pages are at the front). My husband only had to send the photo/info page because his passport was brand new and had never been used as a travel document.

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
I don’t think you need a passport cause the card is only good for land border travel.
Not sure though. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work..
But I can also see why they’d want a passport.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I don’t think you need a passport cause the card is only good for land border travel.
Not sure though. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work..
But I can also see why they’d want a passport.
I have a passport book and a card, and I had to send copies of the book for my CoPR. If you do chance just sending the card, make certain you send a copy of both the front and back. I'm not 100% sure they'll accept it, because say you fly to Canada for the landing portion-- you cannot do that with the passport card. You would have to apply for a book, which would give a new passport number (that CIC will not have).

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
I have a passport book and a card, and I had to send copies of the book for my CoPR. If you do chance just sending the card, make certain you send a copy of both the front and back. I'm not 100% sure they'll accept it, because say you fly to Canada for the landing portion-- you cannot do that with the passport card. You would have to apply for a book, which would give a new passport number (that CIC will not have).
that's what I was thinking. I remember when I first applied for my passport they mentioned something about just getting a card but it not being the same as a book. I opted to get the book just because I had never had a passport before and the idea seemed much cooler to me at the time. lol glad I did it.

Mbcu95

Aug 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
24-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
20-09-2017
that's what I was thinking. I remember when I first applied for my passport they mentioned something about just getting a card but it not being the same as a book. I opted to get the book just because I had never had a passport before and the idea seemed much cooler to me at the time. lol glad I did it.
Thank you guys, I guess I will wait it out and see if they request anymore info from me. I don't want to apply for a passport book, because thenthey won't have my up to date passport numbers. Also the entire process has been in my madden name and if I get a new passport they will switch it too my married name. Ugh! So frustrating

marlowe

Apr 29, 2016
Just to update ... don't want to depress anyone, but our wait has been 15 months now. I am Canadian sponsor living in U.S. with my American spouse; our app for his PR was received August 2016. Everything is "in order" according to the email response from IRCC; it seems we are waiting for background check to complete; we are, according to the email, to "rest assured" that we will be notified of the decision. We have retired, we have sold our house, our children/grandchildren live in Canada and are anxious for us to move there. This is so unbelievably frustrating. I never thought it would take this long. When I see people getting their COPR in 7 months or less, I feel so isolated in this process. Well ... just had to vent. :(

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
No, they don't stamp it. Americans don't send the actual passport. They send a copy of the photo/information page at the front. They also send copies of any pages that have notes written on them by border officials (usually the pages at the very back of the passport - although in my Canadian passport, those pages are at the front). My husband only had to send the photo/info page because his passport was brand new and had never been used as a travel document.
PPR states "you will need to submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and for each accompanying family member."

Notes written by immigration officials are not amendments, they are simply notes each country's official can write on their own stamps when you enter a foreign country.

MizKat

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Texas
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
11-07-2017
Doc's Request.
20-08-2017
AOR Received.
19-08-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
20-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2018
Just to update ... don't want to depress anyone, but our wait has been 15 months now. I am Canadian sponsor living in U.S. with my American spouse; our app for his PR was received August 2016. Everything is "in order" according to the email response from IRCC; it seems we are waiting for background check to complete; we are, according to the email, to "rest assured" that we will be notified of the decision. We have retired, we have sold our house, our children/grandchildren live in Canada and are anxious for us to move there. This is so unbelievably frustrating. I never thought it would take this long. When I see people getting their COPR in 7 months or less, I feel so isolated in this process. Well ... just had to vent. :(
OMG, I am so sorry. We have been waiting 4 months, I can't imagine waiting 15 months with no movement!! (I am also a Canadian sponsor living in the U.S. with my American spouse). I wish I had some advice, but I can only give my support and sympathy. I hope you get an answer soon.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
They are aiming to complete at least 80% of 2016 applications by the end of 2017, so I hope and pray that you hear by then. So sorry you are going through this.

M

marilamb

Is this thread for Canadians sponsoring Americans? Looking for some updated info regarding 2017/2018 applications.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Is this thread for Canadians sponsoring Americans? Looking for some updated info regarding 2017/2018 applications.
Yes it is :)

ninahaddad

Nov 6, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10/06/2017
Applying fro the USA Canadian sponsoring my American hubby. Been married 11 years. Application received in Mississauga on Oct 6. Still no AOR... Anyone else in this boat? Can't call since not on Canada