Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
JenTex said:
I haven't gotten to this point in my app yet.....so do you put the address the COPR is to be sent to on the prepaid envelope? Or do you just fill out the Annex A and they put the address on the prepaid envelope when they send it? Either way, maybe you could upload a new Annex A via IRCC webform and tell them that the new pics are en route and that you have changed the return address. Just a guess.
It depends on where you're having it mailed to. If you're having the COPR sent somewhere within Canada, our instructions specifically said *not* to fill out the XpressPost return address. They used the address we put on the Annex A. If you're having it sent to the U.S., it said to put a return address on the envelope.

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
maledil said:
I had the same issue, only a few boarding passes and some of them hardly legible. I just sent the email confirmations. However we've been together a long time and he lived with me for 1.5 years in Canada so I really don't think our relationship would have been scrutinized as much. I think the confirmations should be good enough. I actually sent an outline of all our trips back and forth and then referenced the supporting documentation for each trip so if you have some of both types that shouldn't be an issue either. Oh and I also just sent the first page in some cases using adobe software to cut out extra crap so it printed onto one page nicely. I figured they don't care how much it cost or meal options or the other stuff, just the confirmation and schedule should be sufficient.
Thanks a lot for a detailed reply! :) Doing an outline of trips is actually a great idea. We have a few trips to other states in the US, theatre and concert bookings etc. A portfolio like that will probably make a solid case. The only thing that bothers me is that they do not ask for it in the checklist, aren't they just going to disregard it if it's not on the list of things they asked for?

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
danawhitaker said:
I only provided the e-mail confirmations for my train and bus tickets. Greyhound and Amtrak didn't provide me with boarding passes for those. Combined with the fact I provided receipts for my trips and social media posts from things I was doing in Canada at the time, I felt that was sufficient. Some of the trips also were on my husband's card and we had printouts of those showing that he paid for the tickets.

We were married less than a year at the time we applied, and had only been together as a couple for a little over a year total, and originally met online back in the early 2000s.
Your case makes me feel a bit better about our application. We only got married a month ago (still waiting for the marriage certificate), and before that were dating long distance for a bit over a year, so I feel like our relationship is going to get examined pretty closely.
Did you provide proof of his visits to you? The checklist is only asking for the proof of sponsor visiting the principal applicant, but nothing for the other way round.
I'm trying to find balance between providing sufficient amount of information and keeping the application concise and compliant with the checklist..

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
Aquakitty said:
They aren't that picky for Americans. We just used email confirmations and hotel receipts.Does your passport usually get stamped? You can use that too if you want.

I remember shrinking down the pages a bit and cutting off the unneeded stuff, you can get rid of headers and make the margins smaller if it helps.
Thank you! Yeah I'm doing the same thing - cutting off the headers and ads, just keeping the informative parts. I'm thinking I'll provide both - itinerary + entry/exit stamps if I can locate them in my overstamped passport :)

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
elenama said:
Your case makes me feel a bit better about our application. We only got married a month ago (still waiting for the marriage certificate), and before that were dating long distance for a bit over a year, so I feel like our relationship is going to get examined pretty closely.
Did you provide proof of his visits to you? The checklist is only asking for the proof of sponsor visiting the principal applicant, but nothing for the other way round.
I'm trying to find balance between providing sufficient amount of information and keeping the application concise and compliant with the checklist..
I did, but I also applied with the old application kit so I didn't have the same guidelines to follow with regard to what kind of proof to provide. Our entire application was over 300 pages because we basically sent copies of anything that tied us together physically in terms of receipts, tickets, etc. I had the same concerns you did.

My husband drove to visit me, so finding proof for those visits was slightly more complicated because he didn't have any tickets for bus, train, plane, etc. and they never stamped his passport (or mine, when I crossed, for that matter). We had copies of the travel insurance he purchased, fuel receipts from along the way, and then receipts from the stuff we did together while he was visiting, even if it was just a receipt from when we went to buy groceries at Walmart or his credit card statement with things on it that were obviously from time spent in the U.S. We also explained some of that stuff in an in-depth way in the part where you explain the development of the relationship.

I'm not entirely certain how I'd approach it using the new kit. My husband and I have both looked over it and agreed that we didn't feel like we'd be able to adequately prove our relationship (to our satisfaction) with the criteria they ask for now.

My visits to my husband were equally important to the development of our relationship. I'm not sure why they want such a one-sided view in that regard. We were fortunate in that we were able to alternate visits to each other for the most part, but I can imagine situations where the applicant might be the one visiting the sponsor much more often, due to either job or kids or education.

Ultimately, provide what you can and try not to worry too much. If they want more proof they'll ask for it.

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
danawhitaker said:
I did, but I also applied with the old application kit so I didn't have the same guidelines to follow with regard to what kind of proof to provide. Our entire application was over 300 pages because we basically sent copies of anything that tied us together physically in terms of receipts, tickets, etc. I had the same concerns you did.

My husband drove to visit me, so finding proof for those visits was slightly more complicated because he didn't have any tickets for bus, train, plane, etc. and they never stamped his passport (or mine, when I crossed, for that matter). We had copies of the travel insurance he purchased, fuel receipts from along the way, and then receipts from the stuff we did together while he was visiting, even if it was just a receipt from when we went to buy groceries at Walmart or his credit card statement with things on it that were obviously from time spent in the U.S. We also explained some of that stuff in an in-depth way in the part where you explain the development of the relationship.

I'm not entirely certain how I'd approach it using the new kit. My husband and I have both looked over it and agreed that we didn't feel like we'd be able to adequately prove our relationship (to our satisfaction) with the criteria they ask for now.

My visits to my husband were equally important to the development of our relationship. I'm not sure why they want such a one-sided view in that regard. We were fortunate in that we were able to alternate visits to each other for the most part, but I can imagine situations where the applicant might be the one visiting the sponsor much more often, due to either job or kids or education.

Ultimately, provide what you can and try not to worry too much. If they want more proof they'll ask for it.
Wow your application must've been a whole a complete story of you two :)
Thanks for the advise. I feel the same way about alternating visits, it contributed a lot to our relationship. But I think proving things they don't ask for will only make the immigration officer mad, so I'll stick to the checklist but will try to provide as much proof of me visiting him as I can, including his and mine credit card statements, pictures and etc. Hopefully that will build a solid enough image of our relationship.

skyzee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Vancouver, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Interview........
BGC-In Progress: 22-02-2017, DM: 06-04-2017
Passport Req..
11-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-24-2017
elenama said:
I wouldn't be too concerned. It's a well known fact that US-CA couples aren't scrutinized nearly as much since the American doesn't have as much to gain.

With that said, it sounds like you and I have a similar situation. I had a long distance relationship with my then girlfriend for about 6 months. She and I only visited each other once during this time frame. She came to stay with me for about 4 months, and then we got married.

We had the paperwork ready and sent off the Outland application about 15 days later and there's been no issues from CIC so far. I'm pretty sure we're past the stage of scrutinizing the genuineness of our relationship since we're in the background check step, the last step before DM. We did provide ample ample proof though with the old Outland application (application length was also over 300 pages), which unfortunately you don't get the luxury of with the new application.

A lawyer we talked to told us the social aspects of the relationship is too often emphasized in the relationship proof, which can be easily forged. She said that that the CIC wants to see that you're making important "couple" steps such as setting up/adding your spouse to your lease, a joint bank account, or a will, which is more difficult to forge, and which we did all 3 of.

Anyways, good luck... I'm sure you'll be fine. I hear of US-CA couples who send in a few pages and get approved...

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
skyzee said:
I wouldn't be too concerned. It's a well known fact that US-CA couples aren't scrutinized nearly as much since the American doesn't have as much to gain.

With that said, it sounds like you and I have a similar situation. I had a long distance relationship with my then girlfriend for about 6 months. She and I only visited each other once during this time frame. She came to stay with me for about 4 months, and then we got married.

We had the paperwork ready and sent off the Outland application about 15 days later and there's been no issues from CIC so far. I'm pretty sure we're past the stage of scrutinizing the genuineness of our relationship since we're in the background check step, the last step before DM. We did provide ample ample proof though with the old Outland application (application length was also over 300 pages), which unfortunately you don't get the luxury of with the new application.

A lawyer we talked to told us the social aspects of the relationship is too often emphasized in the relationship proof, which can be easily forged. She said that that the CIC wants to see that you're making important "couple" steps such as setting up/adding your spouse to your lease, a joint bank account, or a will, which is more difficult to forge, and which we did all 3 of.

Anyways, good luck... I'm sure you'll be fine. I hear of US-CA couples who send in a few pages and get approved...
We did none of the latter things you mentioned, as we weren't even close to being able to live together. It would have been expensive to add my husband to my lease. My apartment complex would have required an application fee to add him, plus they would have raised the rent on me based on the number of people "residing" there even though he would have been in Canada and he would have been added in name only for the most part. We also didn't do any joint bank accounts because we lived in separate countries up until the point I landed this week and his bank wouldn't let me get an account until I had landed. He did add me to his credit card, but later in the process and that was the sort of thing that could be easily forged anyway because all he did was log into his account and ask for a card in my name, sent to his address. We plan on doing wills now that I've actually landed.

I'm not saying those things aren't important; if my husband and I had lived together, and we had those things to provide, I gladly would have. But the new application kit puts far too much emphasis on those things for outland couples, as they have not had the chance to actually live together in many cases and adding people to accounts for the sake of adding them is burdensome. But I'm saying that at least up until now, it's entirely possible to apply and get approved without any of the things you mentioned. And frankly, if people are willing to burn the money and are willing to fake a relationship for immigration, it's not that much more difficult to fake leases, bank accounts, and wills.

skyzee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Vancouver, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
File Transfer...
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Interview........
BGC-In Progress: 22-02-2017, DM: 06-04-2017
Passport Req..
11-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-24-2017
danawhitaker said:
We did none of the latter things you mentioned, as we weren't even close to being able to live together. It would have been expensive to add my husband to my lease. My apartment complex would have required an application fee to add him, plus they would have raised the rent on me based on the number of people "residing" there even though he would have been in Canada and he would have been added in name only for the most part. We also didn't do any joint bank accounts because we lived in separate countries up until the point I landed this week and his bank wouldn't let me get an account until I had landed. He did add me to his credit card, but later in the process and that was the sort of thing that could be easily forged anyway because all he did was log into his account and ask for a card in my name, sent to his address. We plan on doing wills now that I've actually landed.

I'm not saying those things aren't important; if my husband and I had lived together, and we had those things to provide, I gladly would have. But the new application kit puts far too much emphasis on those things for outland couples, as they have not had the chance to actually live together in many cases and adding people to accounts for the sake of adding them is burdensome. But I'm saying that at least up until now, it's entirely possible to apply and get approved without any of the things you mentioned. And frankly, if people are willing to burn the money and are willing to fake a relationship for immigration, it's not that much more difficult to fake leases, bank accounts, and wills.
Fair point about it being difficult to setup some of these things prior to living together.

I do think that the new checklist validates what our lawyer said and so emphasizes those aspects of the relationship to provide as proof in the new application kit. Yes, you could forge the documents, but it's more unlikely that those faking for the purpose of immigration would do so since those particular pieces are much more involved than say just taking pictures, providing chat logs, Facebook posts, etc... Ultimately, I suspect that providing extensive proof doesn't matter nearly as much for US-CA couples, though obviously out of concern, I was paranoid and went overboard with it all anyways.

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
maledil said:
So we could not figure the fedex/UPS thing out so I had him send the new pictures to me. If I send them a canada post expresspost envelope to send back to me so I can send it down to him will that cause issues because its not going to the address on the annex a form?
I had my Husband send me his pictures and a new Annex A as well. Not sure what it is with trying to do anything in Texas as it becomes a big headache. When you send the Annex A from Canada it states to not put an address in. I would add a note stating why it is his address on there and to please send it to your canada address, and include yours.

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
09-12-2016 (Provided 17-12-2016)
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
Just wanted to update everyone - my husband's COPR arrived today! I was anxious to get it as his medical expired in October 2016. They have surprisingly extended it A LOT and he has until December 8th to land!!! Really surprised us both!

So now we're just figuring out when to have him land. It would be beneficial for him to stay as long as possible to save up some money, but we've been in a long-distance relationship for 7 years! So we'll see what we decide. Glad the process is all over!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

MasterDen

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
File Transfer...
13-12-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-17 (sent same day)
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-03-17, COPR 23-03-17
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
BrookeTravels said:
And same here! :)
What does three lines mean?

Checked ECAS and it says DM!!!!

hmks

Sep 8, 2015
Does anyone know a time frame for long it's taking Ottawa to process permanent resident applications? My husband's sponsorship of me was approved over a year ago and I submitted one additional required background check in early December. We've been married for almost 10 years and have three kids. He and the children are getting ready to move to Ontario next week and have heard nothing. We're planning on leaving the kids at grandma's stateside for a few days and I will help him set up the house in Ontario and visit him and my children until my PR arrives. Does anyone foresee any problems with me crossing the border with him and driving one of our vehicles towing a U-Haul as a visitor? I just went back through my previous posts and realized I've gotten two different answers to this question over the past year. He will import one vehicle and I will import the other when I immigrate. Thanks for any advice or words of wisdom.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hmks said:
Does anyone know a time frame for long it's taking Ottawa to process permanent resident applications? My husband's sponsorship of me was approved over a year ago and I submitted one additional required background check in early December. We've been married for almost 10 years and have three kids. He and the children are getting ready to move to Ontario next week and have heard nothing. We're planning on leaving the kids at grandma's stateside for a few days and I will help him set up the house in Ontario and visit him and my children until my PR arrives. Does anyone foresee any problems with me crossing the border with him and driving one of our vehicles towing a U-Haul as a visitor? I just went back through my previous posts and realized I've gotten two different answers to this question over the past year. He will import one vehicle and I will import the other when I immigrate. Thanks for any advice or words of wisdom.
hi, when did you submit your application? are you a us citizen? it is unusual for us outland applications at ottawa to take more than 6 mo.

whether you have problems at the border is dependant on the cbsa officers you meet upon entry. you want to make it VERY clear to them that you have no intention on moving to or living in canada until you are approved for pr. right now, and even though your family can move to canada, all you can do is "visit". you will also want to carry a copy of your pr application in case they ask about it, and proof of ties to the us. the fact you're leaving your children with family is probably going to help alleviate concerns of you overstaying.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
MasterDen said:
What does three lines mean?

Checked ECAS and it says DM!!!!
Wow congratulations!! I was looking at the November spreadsheet to see your timeline, but didn't see it. If you don't mind, could you add your timeline here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CUkTFpwDRvX3vg4FwEoQ4bjyo1ux2qpjLusu08y2gnc/edit#gid=992511551